• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Steam Rumor: Battlefield 3 Could Hit Steam In Time for Release

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
bf3.jpg

Due to EA's solitary quibble over Steam policies, the hotly anticipated Battlefield 3 still hasn't turned up on Valve's popular digital distribution service. However, it was previously reported that the two parties are working to reach an agreement, which may happen in time for release.

Citing an anonymous source within Valve, website BF3Blog reports that the company is in "late-stage" talks to bring BF3 to Steam[...]

Continue reading: Rumor: Battlefield 3 Could Hit Steam In Time for Release...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I would be way more likely to buy it if it was on Steam if I'm honest, despite the lack of a proper menu system.

El Diablo

If you go to battlelog.com/bf3 can you just play the game through there without even having to launch it through Origin because all Origin seems to do is open the web page.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
If you go to battlelog.com/bf3 can you just play the game through there without even having to launch it through Origin because all Origin seems to do is open the web page.

Didn't say anything of Origin, I just hate the website system they came up with for the game.

Joey

Didn't say anything of Origin, I just hate the website system they came up with for the game.

You're the second person I've seen say that, and I don't understand it. How do you not like their website set-up versus an annoying start-up with a million splash screens, and slow menu's to navigate? And the whole social facebook style of the website actually seems kind of cool. But most of all IT'S FAST. I've never gotten into a multiplayer game faster.

It's probably my favorite part of the whole game, tbh. I'd love for you to explain what it is about the website idea you don't like, because I freakin' love it. Kind of hope every PC game was like that, multiplayer or not. Of course, one has to wonder if your game would become useless once EA decides to stop hosting that site, but by the time that happens, that game should be more than passe.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
You're the second person I've seen say that, and I don't understand it. How do you not like their website set-up versus an annoying start-up with a million splash screens, and slow menu's to navigate? And the whole social facebook style of the website actually seems kind of cool. But most of all IT'S FAST. I've never gotten into a multiplayer game faster.

It's probably my favorite part of the whole game, tbh. I'd love for you to explain what it is about the website idea you don't like, because I freakin' love it. Kind of hope every PC game was like that, multiplayer or not. Of course, one has to wonder if your game would become useless once EA decides to stop hosting that site, but by the time that happens, that game should be more than passe.

Intro screens aren't mandatory, can most often be skipped and local media is ALWAYS going to load faster than anything from a website.
You touched on another aspect, what happens when EA decide to move or shutdown that site? The game's gone.
What happens when you're on the move or somewhere without internet access? My internet connection in halls is utter crock and takes notions to crap out every now and again. I could want to play a game at some point and be unable to because of the net connection meanwhile if it was a proper menu system then I could at least play the SP if I felt like it.
Also, I don't want to have to quit out of the game just to swap servers.

Here's an idea of how bad the net here is
1518859345.png

Fairly sure it's a single line being shared with about 70 people.
Meanwhile I've a nice Intel SSD sitting in my desktop.
Fairly sure it can transfer more than 0.3Mbit/s

El Diablo

I know you didn't, my comment was more of a generic question. If people are bitching about Origin (not you) and having to buy it on there vs Steam when they both open the same web browser and the launcher is irrelevant, then you could just buy the game retail or from somewhere else and launch the game via browser and not worry about the name of who you bought it from. Obviously if you can't just go to the website and play it without Origin or Steam or whatever you have open, then my point is moot.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Also, while I may not have a grudge against the web based shit, it is far from better than normal. It doesn't even come close. Anytime I want to change servers, go play with my friend, leave a game and go to another one because of lack of people, I need to COMPLETELY exit the "game", go back to the web, open their browser, launch it, load one specific map, wait minutes for it to load, then launch the game and go into it. Then do that EVERY TIME. Sorry, but it's fucking obnoxious and definitely adds up to more time then whatever you think you might be saving. Sure, the game may open and load to the map in 5-10 seconds when it's actually loaded, but it takes the normal amount of time to load the map as it would join from anything else, only in this game you need to completely exit everything to go back into it. It's stupid and I would much prefer to sit through a set of loading things once when the game starts up and be able to do everything I need to in the game, then have to sit and wait for the game to load and launch anytime I want to do anything in general whether it's change servers or switch to singleplayer or whatever.

I don't hate it and I'll use it and not bitch 24/7 about it, but I don't see how anyone could actually say it is better than a real game.

Joey

Intro screens aren't mandatory, can most often be skipped and local media is ALWAYS going to load faster than anything from a website.
You touched on another aspect, what happens when EA decide to move or shutdown that site? The game's gone.
What happens when you're on the move or somewhere without internet access? My internet connection in halls is utter crock and takes notions to crap out every now and again. I could want to play a game at some point and be unable to because of the net connection meanwhile if it was a proper menu system then I could at least play the SP if I felt like it.
Also, I don't want to have to quit out of the game just to swap servers.

Here's an idea of how bad the net here is
1518859345.png

Fairly sure it's a single line being shared with about 70 people.
Meanwhile I've a nice Intel SSD sitting in my desktop.
Fairly sure it can transfer more than 0.3Mbit/s

Well dude, you're not loading the entire game from a server, you're simply loading a website that has a server browser on it. The game is still loading from a harddrive. If you lack a connection to the internet, then that would be an issue, but honestly, how many times are you going to play Battlefield with out an internet connection? After you finish the campaign (if it's even worth playing), you'll need an internet connection anyway.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

I know you didn't, my comment was more of a generic question. If people are bitching about Origin (not you) and having to buy it on there vs Steam when they both open the same web browser and the launcher is irrelevant, then you could just buy the game retail or from somewhere else and launch the game via browser and not worry about the name of who you bought it from. Obviously if you can't just go to the website and play it without Origin or Steam or whatever you have open, then my point is moot.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Also, while I may not have a grudge against the web based shit, it is far from better than normal. It doesn't even come close. Anytime I want to change servers, go play with my friend, leave a game and go to another one because of lack of people, I need to COMPLETELY exit the "game", go back to the web, open their browser, launch it, load one specific map, wait minutes for it to load, then launch the game and go into it. Then do that EVERY TIME. Sorry, but it's fucking obnoxious and definitely adds up to more time then whatever you think you might be saving. Sure, the game may open and load to the map in 5-10 seconds when it's actually loaded, but it takes the normal amount of time to load the map as it would join from anything else, only in this game you need to completely exit everything to go back into it. It's stupid and I would much prefer to sit through a set of loading things once when the game starts up and be able to do everything I need to in the game, then have to sit and wait for the game to load and launch anytime I want to do anything in general whether it's change servers or switch to singleplayer or whatever.

I don't hate it and I'll use it and not bitch 24/7 about it, but I don't see how anyone could actually say it is better than a real game.

Dude, have you never heard of Alt+tab? And the game launches and closes quickly, it's not like switching between the game and your web browser takes that long.

I don't know about you, but the game loads in seconds for me after I join a server and launch it from the browser. If it's taking "minutes" to load, then something is wrong with your PC, because my initial load time for this game is no more than a normal load time for Bad Company 2..

It's really the same thing as an in game menu, except way faster. Play Hard Reset or Crysis 2 if you want an example of awful in-game menu's that get in the way.

Let's just say, if I wanted to get into a game of Battlefield 3, or Bad Company 2, I could get into BF3 way faster right now.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
In my opinion, browser-based menus are the future. I like being able to jump straight into a game, rather than wade through a bunch of menus. Another nice thing about it, is that it seems to reserve your slot on the server almost instantly. On Steam with L4D, sometimes I'd see my friend playing a game and try to join, then by the time the game loaded up all slots were taken.

DICE could add the same Battlelog interface in-game, but really, I don't see the point. It's just adding an extra step. I always have an internet browser open, so Battlelog is only a click away.

Making the game not accessible without an internet connection isn't something I support - but it's the same thing Blizzard is doing with Diablo III, and that has an in-game menu. With BF3, we haven't seen the final game yet though, so perhaps there will be a launch shortcut for accessing single player.

Ecko

1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
I, for one, will be pissed if they offer it through Steam before launch. Especially since I just preordered it through Origin which seems to be useless besides downloading the game itself.