• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
So I want one of these badly, but I'm not getting another carrier bill so I'm waiting for the wifi only version. Do any of you guys know when he wifi only will start hitting retail outlets? All I've been able to gather is "some time after the holidays."

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Last I heard about the Wifi-only version was that it was delayed with no reason given (as of late November). I don't think it will come out in time for the holidays now with that delay (some are blaming the FCC for the delay)

Moose

Meta Moose
Slightly off-topic, but I have the Samsung Galaxy S (the phone equivalent of the Tab) and I love it. I didn't really appreciate Android on my G1 but the Galaxy S performs so much better than the G1 for obvious reasons. I reckon buying the Tab is a good move if you don't want the iPad. It looks like the only decent competitor.

LocutusEstBorg

Don't decide until iPad 2 specs are out.

Also most people complain about apps not being updated and looking crappy and maligned, like running iPhone-only apps on an iPad.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Don't decide until iPad 2 specs are out.

Also most people complain about apps not being updated and looking crappy and maligned, like running iPhone-only apps on an iPad.

I dont see one having to do with the other. Thats comparing apples to oranges.

LocutusEstBorg

It may not be as well integrated as the iPad. Google basically doesn't approve of the Tab and refused to allow Market access but after a couple of months Samsung got a the market app on there. They said only the next version of Android will be for Tablets also. Its a non-standard resolution that practically no Android app supports.

However if it's for just browsing the Internet then its really good for that. It's basically has the best mobile browser ever made combined with a tablet's real estate.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
It's primarily for browsing around the house, and the occasional picture or video if the mood strikes. I just really like the size of the Galaxy compared to the iPad. It's pretty much the same size as a Kindle.

When are the new specs for the next iPad coming out?

Seth

MD Party Room
I personally will for CES for the announcement of Dual core Cpu and maybe a date for 3.0(Gingerbread) you know a firmware that built for tablets, but hey that just me.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

It's primarily for browsing around the house, and the occasional picture or video if the mood strikes. I just really like the size of the Galaxy compared to the iPad. It's pretty much the same size as a Kindle.

When are the new specs for the next iPad coming out?

That I check Ipad update are going to be around February but here some rumor of the spec
- Front Facing camera and one on the back
- A updated CPU
- Better Screen and thinner
- Possible 7-8 inch screen

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I wouldn't expect the iPad 2 to have a smaller screen (or even as an option) since Steve Jobs pretty much said that the current size is perfect

Best bet is always to wait for CES to be over with

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I wouldn't expect the iPad 2 to have a smaller screen (or even as an option) since Steve Jobs pretty much said that the current size is perfect

Best bet is always to wait for CES to be over with

They could reduce the bezel around it though. If they were going for a higher rez screen though, I couldn't expect it to happen for a few years and when it does, it'll be the same as the iPhone 4 with a doubling of pixels both vertically and horizontally

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Im looking for a tab too.

I have pretty simple requirements: Wifi only, Android Marketplace, and a decent webcam

Anyone know of anything like this thats out yet?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Im looking for a tab too.

I have pretty simple requirements: Wifi only, Android Marketplace, and a decent webcam

Anyone know of anything like this thats out yet?

There have been a number of tablets announced at CES but most are for carriers (thus 3G model first, Wifi-only is unforeseen). It's still a month or two too early before we start seeing real Android Honeycomb tablets emerge. There are a lot of companies building Android Tablets but they aren't "official" in the sense that they will be running older software like 2.2 or 2.3 instead of Honeycomb which is the tablet OS for Android.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Ah so 3.0 is what Google has pulled out of their sleeves to work specifically for tablets?

If thats the case than its probably more beneficial to wait.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Ah so 3.0 is what Google has pulled out of their sleeves to work specifically for tablets?

If thats the case than its probably more beneficial to wait.

Yeah 3.0 is a new version of the Android OS designed specifically for tablets. There are some videos of the interface already out there. Preview of new interface: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUGNCIozp0

I forgot about this though: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/01/04/video-demo-of-asus-eee-pad-slider-tablet-at-ces-2011/ <--- It's probably the best non-3G tablet that will be running Android 3.0 (optional 3G though)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

Slow processor, mid-range tablet performance-wise. Screen size is nice but no extra pixels to account for larger screen (so pixels will be more noticeable most likely). Camera is lower-res than most of today's offerings and the tablet probably won't be supported as well as other major manufacturers. I would wait for a better alternative to come out as this is a bit pricey for what you get.