• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Set Processor Affinity in OS X

Does anyone happen to know how to set an application to run specifically on one processor core? I know XP/Vista/7 has this feature in the task manager, and I was curious if OS X has a simular feature. I figure it would be useful to set a processor-intesive task to one core (like video encoding) and keep the other one free for general computing. Any ideas?

twelve

I'm not dead
Does anyone happen to know how to set an application to run specifically on one processor core? I know XP/Vista/7 has this feature in the task manager, and I was curious if OS X has a simular feature. I figure it would be useful to set a processor-intesive task to one core (like video encoding) and keep the other one free for general computing. Any ideas?
I've been running multi-core processors for the past 4 years and never known that. How do you do it?

Bill

In task manager, you right click on a process (not a task) and select Set Affinity. You can then uncheck whatever core you like. This also works for Pentium 4 HT processors.

EDIT: I think affinity can only be set on OS X by the application itself, not by a user.

Another EDIT: If you want to go to the process of a specific task without having to scroll through the whole thing, just right click on the task and select Go to Process.