• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Should I pick up an Xbox360

rileysnotz

Like the title says.

Ok so I use the PS3 a lot, as well as the PSP. Online multiplayer is something I've started doing a lot recently.

I've read and heard a lot about the 360 and I'm thinking of picking one up.
What do I need to know about potential issues? I've heard that cross platform games look better on the 360 in most cases. What about reliability and support?

Would love some inputs from anyone who has both or used both systems.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It all comes down to the games that you want to be playing. The PS3 and Xbox 360 both have great exclusives. The online community on Xbox Live seems to be larger and more diverse. I generally pick up a game on the Xbox 360 if it's multiplatform just because the online experience is better.

If you like FPS's than the Xbox 360 is the console for you. There are also some great arcade titles on the Xbox Live Marketplace if you want a quick game fix.

As far as games looking better, they usually do on the PS3 but it's really not set in stone. There are some games that look better on the Xbox 360 than on the PS3 and vice-versa.

Some nice Xbox 360 exclusives (in terms of consoles):

Mass Effect 1/2
Halo 3/ODST/Reach
Crackdown 1/2
Various Square Enix RPGs (I always forget their names)
Gears of War 1/2

Robby

Los Doyers!
Really it comes down to the exclusives you like, each console is better than the other in one way or another.

I perfer the Xbox because of Xbox live. To me it is better then the PSN service. I love the way the marketplace is setup, I like how I can talk to my buddies while we all play different games or just sit in the dashboard(Haven't turned on my PS3 in months, don't know if they released an update for this), and I am a fan of FPS so the controller is 100x times better then the PS3's for the purpose.

Also, all my buddies in real life have 360s so I am able to play with them everyday. (This is a main reason why I don't play my PS3, none of my friends have one)

KelticN7

On xbox, Halo series and Gears of War are brilliant, The Call of Duty series are just frustrating( my opinion only) with the amount of Modded controllers and glitches being used, anyone i know that has COD on PS3 seem to have less issues that way , Suggest you look around for an Xbox community thats suite your needs and fill your friendlist that way as in general xbl has a fair amount of idiots on it if you are just joining games randomly

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
having both, i would suggest you just stick with your ps3. like everyone here has said, both consoles have great exclusives (halo, gears of war, mass effect for xbox 360, uncharted, god of war for ps3). like FrozenIpaq said, the xbl community is a little larger than the psn community, but you also have to pay for it (its only $50 per year, but thats still $50 :p).

in my opinion, the ps3 has better wifi connectivity than the xbox 360 (original xbox 360 w/ wireless network adapter). it seems like i was always getting dropped on my 360, but i dont seem to have that problem on my ps3. im not sure if this issue is fixed in the new slim 360 models.

there you have it :D

rileysnotz

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys. I'll hold off the the 360 for now unless there is a really good deal I can find. :)

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
having both, i would suggest you just stick with your ps3. like everyone here has said, both consoles have great exclusives (halo, gears of war, mass effect for xbox 360, uncharted, god of war for ps3). like FrozenIpaq said, the xbl community is a little larger than the psn community, but you also have to pay for it (its only $50 per year, but thats still $50 :p).

in my opinion, the ps3 has better wifi connectivity than the xbox 360 (original xbox 360 w/ wireless network adapter). it seems like i was always getting dropped on my 360, but i dont seem to have that problem on my ps3. im not sure if this issue is fixed in the new slim 360 models.

there you have it :D

I don't have any issues with my 360 dropping a wireless signal, that occurs far more for me with my PS3.

@Riley - I see you've got a few FPS's on your recent games list. I'd recommend grabbing a 360 not only for it's exclusives, but for any multi-platform release that might be a FPS or 3rd Person Shooter. The 360's controller is way better suited for shooters than the dual shock shape in my opinion. I do prefer the duel shock for things like platformers though.

rileysnotz

@Riley - I see you've got a few FPS's on your recent games list. I'd recommend grabbing a 360 not only for it's exclusives, but for any multi-platform release that might be a FPS or 3rd Person Shooter. The 360's controller is way better suited for shooters than the dual shock shape in my opinion. I do prefer the duel shock for things like platformers though.

Yeah I do use the 360 controller on my PC and I did notice the difference. Anyway the older arcade unit is currently retailing @ approx $215 with 2 games. Maybe another month or so till the newer slim is available here.

B

Bizarre

Like everyone said, hold off until there is a problem on your PS3, happened with me. I feel that it is just a little bit of a rip off to pay $250 for Sony to fix my PS3.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
If only you were in England I could sell you my spare one xD

Having both, I personally prefer the 360. The live service is better, the controller is better (bought an adapter so I can use wired 360 controller on PS3 :)).
Before I got a 360 I had a PS1 and then a PS2 and thought the controller was pretty sweet. Now that I've used an Xbox controller they'd really not that great (apart from the dpad, the 360 controllers dpad is shocking.)