• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Indie Skidpan

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Hey there. While it may not be as awesome as MaDSouL's GraviMaze, I thought you guys might like to see my first iPhone app, which went live on the App Store last night. It's a very simple game built using Adobe AIR, but I'm still quite proud of it, considering it's a first.

It's free, by the way. =]

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skidpan/id504331022?ls=1&mt=8

I'd be very grateful of any feedback that you have to offer. Also, in case you're interested, my best score is 52. Can anyone beat me at my own game? xD

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Downloading it now. I'll let you know how it goes later once I've had a go at it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Built using Adobe Air eh? Does that mean it will be relatively easy to port it over to Android? *wink wink*

Wish I could play it but once again my plans are foiled by my choice of Android

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Fun little romp. I played a few time so far and haven't reached passed 18. The control is hard though; I always find myself struggling to see what's going on since my hand is in the way.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Built using Adobe Air eh? Does that mean it will be relatively easy to port it over to Android? *wink wink*

Why yes, it *should* have been easy to port to Android; however, because I wrote it quite sloppily, it will now take some work. I'll get round to it eventually, and hopefully add iPad support, too.

As for the controls, I know they're a bit poor. Several people pointed out that flaw in very early versions of the game, when all you had was a moving car, but I (lazily) decided to ignore it. Instead of changing the whole control system, I decided to simply move the HUD to the top of the screen and make a system that enables you to change fingers smoothly, but a joystick style control system probably would've been better. I might include a choice of controls in future updates, though to be honest, the app is so poorly written that I hardly even understand it myself anymore. It might be more effort than it's worth to change the controls. It depends largely on how well the app does in terms of downloads and such.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
If you were to change the controls, I'd recommend a floating joystick setup where the 'joystick' recenters itself to where you initially touch the screen. It's used in a number of iOS games. First time I remember seeing it was in the DS port of Super Mario 64.