• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Software help

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
hey guys i have a laptop i brought it 2 years ago its battery died due to kept power on always

my battery died because it gave me 1 hour of remaining time at 100%
after 1 year

So i kept the power on the whole days for 1 year
i was fed up when battery reaches 10 % i have to get up and turn the power off
So my power was on all the time (i searched google i reduces battery life)
So one day my battery died
Now i brought a new one it gives me 3hours of life but i am afraid that when i go out of the house and keep my laptop on
so i have to keep power on all the time so this will reduce my new battery life

So the main question

is there any software that stops charging the battery when it reaches 100%
automatically without i going to the button and turning the switch off

Moose

Meta Moose
I don't think software can stop the charging of your battery, it's a hardware thing (you plug it in, it gets charged). You might be able to buy a special plug adapter that allows you to choose how long the plug is supplied electricity for before being switched off...

Ragnarok

I beleive that a laptop automatically switch to directly drawing power from the supply after a battery is charged 100% and hence stopping the charging

explosions

I beleive that a laptop automatically switch to directly drawing power from the supply after a battery is charged 100% and hence stopping the charging

The older ones don't have this overcharge protection.

lainlives

the real problem is most likely you having the battery at 100% and not using it, if you dont use your battery for an extended time, i reccommend running it dead and keeping it out

eldiablov

Contributor
Lithium Ion batteries should never be ran dead. They should always be topped up with little amounts when possible.

Your battery may need to be calibrated, one year and only one hour from 100% seems a bit odd. I have a laptop that remains plugged in mainly, but its batter lasts around 1 hour, but its 7 years old...

Eldiablov's right about Li-Ion batteries, BTW. I've used the same strategy for my old PSP-1k, and its battery still lasts forever.