• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Sony Aims To Match Or Exceed PSP Install Base With NGP

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The PlayStation Blog has posted up a interview with SCE head Kaz Hirai in which he speaks his mind about the recent NGP announcement and more specifically - Sony's expectations for the device.

While Hirai says the firm is aiming to match the current PSP install base, he feels the NGP could very well outpace its predecessor, given the robust feature set[...]

Continue reading: Sony Aims To Match Or Exceed PSP Install Base With NGP...

Deathrow

I don't see 3G as a strong incentive. People who are already standing by their networks are already paying for 3G. Do you think people want to extend their bills for even gaming devices?
They also haven't mentioned which partners besides DoMoCo in Japan which is technically a network monopoly. In a market and business perspective, it would be interesting choice on what network company they will be working with.

Slasher

Suck It
I'm a little confused about the 3G offering on the NGP. Is this simply data usage for online gaming? Or can it be used for sending text messages/phone calls as well?

If so, I'd ditch my phone for the NGP in its place.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm a little confused about the 3G offering on the NGP. Is this simply data usage for online gaming? Or can it be used for sending text messages/phone calls as well?

If so, I'd ditch my phone for the NGP in its place.

Believe it was said somewhere that they will not be using it for phone calls / txts

Deathrow

Why go with the 3G if it doesn't cover all types of media out there on the market? What a flop.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Why go with the 3G if it doesn't cover all types of media out their on the market? What a flop.

I'm sure they'd like to, but at this point in time, it might not be possible. My guess is the logistics of working out such a deal are a nightmare, given that NGP is running a closed OS. It took forever for Apple to bring the iPhone to Verizon, and I doubt that was only down to their agreement with AT&T.

It'll be interesting to see which companies Sony ends up partnering with in the US and Europe. As you say, it's not as clear cut as it is in Japan.

At least Sony is taking a step forward when it comes to network connectivity. It's far ahead of the 3DS in this regard.

johnobc

@ Deathrow, yes they will, because 3G, has also the power to connect a device through the internet, online game everywhere, as for the NGP, we know it as a gaming device, and there are a lot of gamers out there, i myself is excited about this ;)