• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Sony Confirms 'Multiple' NGP Versions, Including Non-3G Models

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ngpsony1.jpg

Sony plans to market 'multiple' versions of the recently announced NGP (PSP2), including several non-3G SKUs, according to SCEE head Andrew House. Specifically, the exec told Eurogamer that only one 3G configuration is planned, while the other models will come equipped with standard WiFi only.
The first thing to clarify, which I'm not sure the presentation did a perfect job of doing today, is that all of the devices will have Wi-Fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G.

So the user gets a choice[...]

Continue reading: Sony Confirms 'Multiple' NGP Versions, Including Non-3G Model...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It still has memory card support, though it's not clear what format Sony is going with yet. But yeah, this is a strong indicator of internal storage. I can't see why else they would have multiple versions of the non-3G variant otherwise.

It could go something like this,

Base model, no internal storage $299
16GB (maybe 32) storage model $349
Then the fully decked out 3G model for $399

All pure speculation but those price points would work nicely I think.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It still has memory card support, though it's not clear what format Sony is going with yet. But yeah, this is a strong indicator of internal storage. I can't see why else they would have multiple versions of the non-3G variant otherwise.

It could go something like this,

Base model, no internal storage $299
16GB (maybe 32) storage model $349
Then the fully decked out 3G model for $399

All pure speculation but those price points would work nicely I think.

If they want to make a dent in the 3DS they're going to have to go lower than that.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
If they want to make a dent in the 3DS they're going to have to go lower than that.

Well the chances of that happening are slim to none. Still, at $299, Sony would be in a better position this time as Nintendo priced the 3DS higher. When the PSP launched, there was a $100 price gap between it and the original DS.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well the chances of that happening are slim to none. Still, at $299, Sony would be in a better position this time as Nintendo priced the 3DS higher. When the PSP launched, there was a $100 price gap between it and the original DS.

I disagree... With all the health concerns around the 3DS and the low batery life (5 hours max) this is the best chance Sony is ever going to get to putting a dent into Nintendo.

eldiablov

Contributor
I disagree... With all the health concerns around the 3DS and the low batery life (5 hours max) this is the best chance Sony is ever going to get to putting a dent into Nintendo.

Nintendo's target market are oblivious to these 'health concerns'.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Initially the 3DS will sell like crazy, regardless of what Sony ends up pricing the NGP at, just due to the massive popularity of the DS. The long-term will be much more interesting though.

If the NGP ends up at only $50 more for the base model, I still think they have a great shot at putting pressure on Nintendo. I mean, look at the PS2. It was more expensive and obliterated the GameCube in terms of sales.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Initially the 3DS will sell like crazy, regardless of what Sony ends up pricing the NGP at, just due to the massive popularity of the DS. The long-term will be much more interesting though.

If the NGP ends up at only $50 more for the base model, I still think they have a great shot at putting pressure on Nintendo. I mean, look at the PS2. It was more expensive and obliterated the GameCube in terms of sales.

You might have a point there.

Nintendo's target market are oblivious to these 'health concerns'.

Their parents aren't though.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Bran

Yell
I would not be surprised if sales are close to equal for both. Nintendo and Sony seem to be targeting the hardcore market a lot more with the 3DS and the NGP and a lot of people in that market like myself will want to buy both machines. Sony I doubt cares though what the 3DS sells though, because they have that deal with Android and the concept of the PlayStation Suite making them money on other platforms that are already widely popular. I don't see Nintendo branching out like that and it will probably be a good source of revenue for Sony.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The media is still concerning, hard to tell if Sony is going for pure digital distribution or some sort of cartridge solution working alongside digital distribution.

I thought it was set in stone that they were coming in psuedo-cartidges/sd cards?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Indeed, they are releasing games digitally and on flash-based memory cards.

Adiuvo

The tabloid papers won't give a shit about the 3DS health concerns, at the most I can see a short two paragraph article reaching them but that will be it.

That. Short of it going into those gossip magazines not much will happen to make the health concerns known.