• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Sony Has Permission To View Information Of Hackers

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
FUUUUUUUUUUUU

TeamOverload

This news is a few days old now, but what I've read, it seems more in an effort to try and show that more people used in California than Hotz home state so that they can claim jurisdiction.

El Diablo

I never updated and agreed to that shit, sony can suck my cock. Being able to do what I want with my system that I paid for > playing a couple games online that I could just play on the PC.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
This news is a few days old now, but what I've read, it seems more in an effort to try and show that more people used in California than Hotz home state so that they can claim jurisdiction.

This. It's not that big of a deal

TeamOverload

Ah right, turning over that information is OK because this time they don't necessarily have bad intentions. Got it.

I don't think that's what he's saying, but it's not AS big of a deal as people are making it out to be. It's not going to harm or affect you in anyway. If they never published this information saying it was going to happen, you would never have had any idea.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't think that's what he's saying, but it's not AS big of a deal as people are making it out to be. It's not going to harm or affect you in anyway. If they never published this information saying it was going to happen, you would never have had any idea.

This. The information is not going to be used against you. While it may be used against GeoHot, it's only to determine where to prosecute. It doesn't affect us in anyway other than that

El Diablo

I love how people are so okay with giving up their rights and just letting sony have free access to see everything they are doing and everything they own and have stored on that system.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i have to agree with eldiablov/El Diablo, regardless of the intention's, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to have access to ip log's, to track people down.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
i have to agree with eldiablov/El Diablo, regardless of the intention's, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to have access to ip log's, to track people down.

None of are rights are being violated here. Sony's not given free reign here, they had to get a court order to do this, just like the police would have to.

Spiros

Maiki
I still don't see it... Even if Sony can prove the majority of people downloading files from geohot.com are from California, why should that mean that they can try him there.

The judge already said that geohot having a paypal and twitter account wasn't enough because then that would mean anyone in the world could be sued in California. So why should this?

I hate the "I should be able to do whatever I want with my system" argument.

You don't think we should have that right?

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I still don't see it... Even if Sony can prove the majority of people downloading files from geohot.com are from California, why should that mean that they can try him there.

The judge already said that geohot having a paypal and twitter account wasn't enough because then that would mean anyone in the world could be sued in California. So why should this?

You don't think we should have that right?

It's not so much the act as it is the argument itself; the undeserved sense of entitlement that is entwined with that way of thinking. I'll be the first to admit that I've modified most of my consoles, but it's silly to get upset when they trying to stop you from doing it, and start raging about how much you hate said company. You knew what the system was designed to do when you purchased it, but you still ponied up the cash for it. Nobody made you buy it.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'd be willing to bet that are only asking for this IP list from Geohot's hosting company to cross reference it with their master list of IPs that they undoubtedly already have.

Robby

Los Doyers!

They want your IP to prove GeoHot's actions did take place in California, so that his motion to dismiss is not accepted.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
They want your IP to prove GeoHot's actions did take place in California, so that his motion to dismiss is not accepted.
but his actions didn't take place in California, they were actions taken by other people, people that geohot had no knowledge of how they were using the tools he released, just as sony has no knowledge of how it's customer's are using the hardware they make, should sony be held accountable if a ps3 was used to kill a person?!(i know, it's a super extreme example)

also, what happens if the majority of users is found to be in some other random state, well that fact simply be ignored?

I'm kind of confused as to why this was allowed. What relevance does this have, and if it does have relevance, the Internet is an international thing, it can't be localized to a state simply by visitors.

It feels like Sony is dragging this case out to drive up Geohot's legal fees. They certainly can outstay him.