• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS4 Sony: PS4 Won't Support MP3 Playback

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Sony's published what it has dubbed as the 'Ultimate PS4 FAQ' and in it, reveals that the PS4 will not support playback of MP3-format tunes. Instead, users are being encourage to sign up for the company's Music Unlimited streaming service, provided you want to listen to background music while playing a game.
Will I be able to play background music while I play PS4 games?
Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games.​

Continue reading...

DragonFlame

So, it is like I thought. Requiring Music Unlimited for in-game playback is one thing, but not allowing mp3 files at all is a bit annoying for me. Maybe we'll get some ogg, flac, or aac functionality, but I highly doubt it at this point.

Edit: On reviewing that FAQ, it doesn't support media servers or audio discs. So no music at all without paying for MU.

Last edited:

webnapster

I don't use my PS3 or PS2 to listen music, I don't care about not supporting audio discs or mp3 at all. Music Unlimited is a piece of crap in my country.

Biggy204

Yes but what about the games that will make you used custom theme music (ex sports titles and Wrestling games). That is indeed a burst in the bubble in reguards to all of that.

nickiscool2

Well its obvious why they're doing this. Sony got rid of MP3/CD playback so more people are forced to get music unlimited. So if you want to listen to music and play games, or just listen to music, you're going to have to get this app. I already had music unlimited, and like the app, but this is a cheap and unnecessary move.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well its obvious why they're doing this. Sony got rid of MP3/CD playback so more people are forced to get music unlimited. So if you want to listen to music and play games, or just listen to music, you're going to have to get this app. I already had music unlimited, and like the app, but this is a cheap and unnecessary move.

It's a shame to see consoles move backwards in terms of compatability / capability with this new generation. The Xbox One's streaming functionality from my home PC is weak at best - working only half of the time and only with MP4 videos. I would just love to be able to plug in a usb drive and playback music or movies locally using my TV and surround sound setup - I can't even do that now with the Xbox One or PS4 like I was last generation.