• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Sony Unveils PSP2, Codename NGP

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psp26.jpg

Putting an end to rampant speculation, Sony today formally announced the PSP2 at its Japan-based press event. It's codenamed NGP, short for Next Generation Portable. The handheld boasts an impressive set of specs -- including a 5 inch OLED display, 3G and GPS, front and rear touchpad. Even more impressive, that sexy OLED display is 4 times the resolution of the current PSP.

NGP is due for a release this holiday season in Japan[...]

Continue reading: Sony Unveils PSP2, Codename NGP...

Robby

Los Doyers!
Hopefully it has a good starting price.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
$300 is the highest I think I'd go for this. Can't wait till we get better pictures of it and hopefully video

Robby

Los Doyers!
Upon further review, I'm not liking the placement of the sticks. They look too close to the buttons.

Engadget also said it has a front and rear camera. I'm not digging the new game media it uses for games. Kinda like DS games.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Upon further review, I'm not liking the placement of the sticks. They look too close to the buttons.

Engadget also said it has a front and rear camera. I'm not digging the new game media it uses for games. Kinda like DS games.

I'd rather have them closer - less space needed to travel between buttons and sticks

Robby

Los Doyers!
Ehh I have to see it in person to see if it would be a problem.

One thing I'm worried about is putting this in my pocket. It looks like the sticks stick out and I usually carry my PSP in my pocket.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Ehh I have to see it in person to see if it would be a problem.

One thing I'm worried about is putting this in my pocket. It looks like the sticks stick out and I usually carry my PSP in my pocket.

Yep there's that and the fact that it is going to be larger than the original PSP as well it seems

Robby

Los Doyers!
I'm wondering why they didn't go with the PSPgo design.

Deathrow

I'm sorry, I just don't like it. Looks to plain to be an 'advanced' handheld.

No volume buttons?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm really, really impressed. As long as this is $400 or under it's a day one for me. I'd buy it for the screen alone. This thing will be killer for portable video.

kushu33

It has volume controls on the top, good thing they didn't opt for a design based on the Go it would be sort of weird having the touch screen on the top.

Hellcat

Contributor
HOLY COW EATING BANANAS :eek:
/me wanz wanz wanz wanz wanz wanz wanz wanz

So, when is this "holliday time in japan"?
Where can I preorder?

Flashbased storage media for games, huh?
That means "patchable in-place on the original media", say goodbye to "I got the old, exploitable, version of XYZ".

Totally win IMO.... can't wait.

4x the original res? Dual analog? Original PSP style body?
OOOHHH YEAAAHHHH.
^ ^ THAT ^ ^ :D

No volume buttons?
Maybe on the top, like on the PSPgo.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Missed this nugget on backwards compatibility in the press release:

"NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store."

Great news :)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Missed this nugget on backwards compatibility in the press release:

"NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store."

Great news :)

Indeed ^^ When will we know of price?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

OUTL4W

So whats the deal with 3G?....will I need to add another data plan?....I could care less about 3G as long as I can tether it to my phone.

Juliet

This isn't the final product, is it? I hope it will have a long lasting battery to feed those high specs. That will be an advantage over 3DS's 3 hr playtime.
I don't see a battery cover btw. We won't be able to change the battery ourselves I think.
'Cloud gaming' sounds good but I don't think it will be useful. There is little need for that.