• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Sony Unveils PSP2, Codename NGP

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm really, really impressed. As long as this is $400 or under it's a day one for me. I'd buy it for the screen alone. This thing will be killer for portable video.

That was the first thing I though of as well. The gadget geek in me can't wait to get my hands on it.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm really, really impressed. As long as this is $400 or under it's a day one for me. I'd buy it for the screen alone. This thing will be killer for portable video.

That was the first thing I though of as well. The gadget geek in me can't wait to get my hands on it.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I don't see a battery cover btw. We won't be able to change the battery ourselves I think.
Nope, something to do with the rear touch panel in the way (and quite possibly because of the Pandora incident for the PSP).

I was hoping for a smaller device, but with the specs this thing has I'm fine with the size. Also I love how the touch panel is on the back, I hate how my fat fingers always cover the screen when I play on my iPhone.

I'm guessing it'll be around $350, plus $25 a month for 3G from your cell phone provider.

Also I'm surprised how they got rid of the XMB, the new GUI is my least favorite part right now.

Spiros

Maiki
Also I'm surprised how they got rid of the XMB, the new GUI is my least favorite part right now.
Same, though it will evolve over time so not a big deal, also I don't like how curved the sides are, but even that I'm sure will grow on me.

The device itself, the specs, look amazing, this is definitely everything I could have wanted and more for the PSP's successor. I'm saving my money from like right now, whatever the price, it's a day one buy for me as well.

dasco2xxx

NGP meaning No Good PSP? i mean no umd? how am i supposed to play my old umd games? like my MHFU monster hunter freedom unite with 2 analog sticks.... noooooooooooo!!!!!! how about monster hunter 3rd!!!!! it cannot be!

TeamOverload

Yes, not being able to directly play old UMDs may suck, but UMD wasn't that great of a format to begin with people. Not to mention that cartridges are going to be better for battery life, just plain and simple.

Slasher

Suck It

Was there any details even released about a new XMB?

The one image with an odd looking xmb purported a "Design and specifications are subject to change without notice. Screen image simulated."

I don't think there's anything official about it, and perhaps with nearly a year before Japan sees it, things may change.

Not to mention that really any forms of change that differ from what we're used to are typically met with negative responses until said people become accustomed to the new changes. Ie. Facebook changes.

Spiros

Maiki
Was there any details even released about a new XMB?

The one image with an odd looking xmb purported a "Design and specifications are subject to change without notice. Screen image simulated."

I don't think there's anything official about it, and perhaps with nearly a year before Japan sees it, things may change.

There is some mention in this article, not sure if it's just speculation, but apperantly it's called "LiveArea" and it supports Trophies, Friends, and is touch controlled.

But yeah I agree, it will most likely change in appearance and features by the time the handheld launches.

Dan

Contributor
I don't really see why somebody who's willing to pay $300 minimum, would put this in your pocket without a care in the world. I'd rather carry it by hand than keep it out of my eyesight, and at least get a case made by Logitech or something.

5392425792_56d20f9bb9_o.jpg

iPhone, anyone?

Seth

MD Party Room
I don't really see why somebody who's willing to pay $300 minimum, would put this in your pocket without a care in the world. I'd rather carry it by hand than keep it out of my eyesight, and at least get a case made by Logitech or something.

5392425792_56d20f9bb9_o.jpg

iPhone, anyone?
Cus Parents will buy this for there spoiled kids and be reckless with it much how they are with there current psp

Spiros

Maiki
Has anyone read about the Little Deviants game thats announced for it, apparently the rear grackles can be used to manipulate the environment on screen, like to move a ball around a level you can touch the trackpad and that will make a hill appear, as if it's your finger pushing the terrain up. It just gives you an idea of the potential of having that type of input.

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
This thing is a technological powerhouse. Honestly could not be more excited for this. According to John Carmack, this device is a generation ahead of the next wave of smartphones. I'd pay $400 for all the tech inside this device. EASILY.

Seth

MD Party Room
i forget what system it was( Maybe neo geo or 3do) does anyone rember that handheld that that really high specs to drolll over but still ended up dieing off really quick?

So whats the deal with 3G?....will I need to add another data plan?....I could care less about 3G as long as I can tether it to my phone.

I'd imagine there's a 3G enabled model and the base model with wifi only.

Spiros

Maiki

Lol, yeah but with the NGP the specs will still be impressive when it's released, and should be for awhile.

Does anyone know what the clock speed is for the CPU? I read that it was a quad-core but didn't see a clock speed.

Just saw this video:
[video=youtube;K3EloCX9hy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EloCX9hy8&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Hopefully Sony will release some videos soon.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I usually baby my electronics for the first month, then after that I toss them around like it's nothing.

And getting a case for it, in my case would not make it any better as I don't want something so huge in my pockets.