• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Specs needed for Hackintosh?

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I searched the internet and wasn't able to find too many specifics. Basically, the title says it all. I was hoping for a real MacBook, but since it's so expensive, it's most likely out of the question.

Is it possible to run 'Hackintosh' (or whatever the name is) on a laptop that is an average of about $500, possibly hundred or so more?

NOTE: I would be using an official installation of Mac OS X, not too into using illegal stuff like that. Also, while I'm mentioning the above, how much harder is it to use an official disc rather than hacked iso?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I searched the internet and wasn't able to find too many specifics. Basically, the title says it all. I was hoping for a real MacBook, but since it's so expensive, it's most likely out of the question.

Is it possible to run 'Hackintosh' (or whatever the name is) on a laptop that is an average of about $500, possibly hundred or so more?

NOTE: I would be using an official installation of Mac OS X, not too into using illegal stuff like that. Also, while I'm mentioning the above, how much harder is it to use an official disc rather than hacked iso?

Yeah, you will definitely be able to run osx86 on a $500 laptop. In fact I just got my grandmother an awesome dual core laptop for $360. You can even run it on netbooks and such. The requirements are only: an SSE3 CPU and 512mb RAM(you can use an amd sse2 cpu, but it's recommended you have an intel cpu)

here are some guides:
Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.6, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board - InsanelyMac Forum
Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics) - InsanelyMac Forum

and osx86 images are a bit easier to use since they have a bunch of drivers, and patches already on them.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Yeah, you will definitely be able to run osx86 on a $500 laptop. In fact I just got my grandmother an awesome dual core laptop for $360. You can even run it on netbooks and such. The requirements are only: an SSE3 CPU and 512mb RAM(you can use an amd sse2 cpu, but it's recommended you have an intel cpu)

here are some guides:
Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.6, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board - InsanelyMac Forum
Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics) - InsanelyMac Forum

and osx86 images are a bit easier to use since they have a bunch of drivers, and patches already on them.

Thanks Greyone. That'll help.

Do you know how much more difficult it would be to install from an official disc though?

Also, which laptop did you get for $350?

madsoul

i would really want to run OSX too on my comp.

i got this:

Windows: Windows NT6.0 (Build 6001) Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer: 7.0.6001.18000
Memory (RAM): 1918 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57
CPU Speed: 1894,2 MHz
Sound card: Realtek High Definit
Display Adapters: ATI Radeon X1200 | ATI Radeon X1200 | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 800 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter | Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
CD / DVD Drives: D: RWROLI 5EN85YFS9IB | E: RWROLI 5EN85YFS9IB | G: TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-L632H
COM Ports: NOT Present
LPT Ports: NOT Present
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 92,8GB | F: 67,7GB | I: 24,4GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 6,0GB | F: 41,7GB | I: 11,2GB
USB Controllers: 6 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies LTD
Product Make: Satellite A210
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info:
Time Zone: V

eighty4

Hackintosh software doesn't require anything out of the ordinary. As long as you don't run a 1996 eMachine, you'll be fine.

madsoul

Hackintosh software doesn't require anything out of the ordinary. As long as you don't run a 1996 eMachine, you'll be fine.

so i could run it on my comp? what image do you suggest i should DL? and should i make a new partition like i did with windows 7 so i can dualboot it? im a n00b and would really be glad if i could get some directions. thx

Greyone

Thanks Greyone. That'll help.

Do you know how much more difficult it would be to install from an official disc though?

Also, which laptop did you get for $350?

It shouldn't be too much more difficult, but it really depends on the laptop you buy.

And the laptop I got at Best Buy, it was discontinued so that's how I got such a good price.
-----
@ madsoul

I would suggest the AMD Kalyway 10.5.2 image, it's the one I have had the best luck with.

madsoul

It shouldn't be too much more difficult, but it really depends on the laptop you buy.

And the laptop I got at Best Buy, it was discontinued so that's how I got such a good price.
-----
@ madsoul

I would suggest the AMD Kalyway 10.5.2 image, it's the one I have had the best luck with.

thanks man, il try that one. but should i just be able to make a partition, restart the comp, make it run from the disc and install? end then il have an option to chose osx everytime i start my comp just like i have right now with windows 7 and vista?

Greyone

thanks man, il try that one. but should i just be able to make a partition, restart the comp, make it run from the disc and install? end then il have an option to chose osx everytime i start my comp just like i have right now with windows 7 and vista?

yeah you should be able to do that, darwin(mac bootloader) might take over but you'll have the option to boot from a different partition.

mohaas05

OSX86 will run on any machine that can run Windows XP. That's the beauty of OSX...sleek and efficient.

However, you most certainly will run into an obstacle that will prevent major usage out of that computer...such as lack of support for USB, WLAN, etc.

madsoul

i just got to here when i try to boot from the dvd i have burned with AMD Kalyway 10.5.2

AfrglxJzo.jpg

it just stops there after readind and reading the disc very hard. then there is silence and nothing happens. :(

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
Im going to install hackintosh today :) if its any good i will probably install it over vista as it sucks. Does Mac have a good game range?

Greyone

i just got to here when i try to boot from the dvd i have burned with AMD Kalyway 10.5.2

[qimg]http://pici.se/pictures/AfrglxJzo.jpg[/qimg]

it just stops there after readind and reading the disc very hard. then there is silence and nothing happens. :(

hmm.....

I wonder if there are any errors on your disk. Or if you got a bad image.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
I understand you need a intel processor to install this?
I have a : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 1.90 GHz

Im sure i can't install it with that?

Greyone

I understand you need a intel processor to install this?
I have a : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 1.90 GHz

Im sure i can't install it with that?
You don't need to have an intel processor to install it, you just have to use an AMD specific image.

@Madsoul

Did you get the Kalyway AMD Image ? Or the intel one ?

mohaas05

The only processor requirement is that it contains SSE2/SSE3 instructions which is basically any processor since the Pentium 4.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
You don't need to have an intel processor to install it, you just have to use an AMD specific image.

@Madsoul

Did you get the Kalyway AMD Image ? Or the intel one ?

Can you send me a pm with this specific image i can't seem to find it. or lead me on the way to find it.

Thanks...