• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sprite a Pixel RPG Person

Serideth

Welcome to another guide on pixel art from yours truly, this guide focuses on shading and sprite character making. I have used a template commonly used in RPG maker programs and used in PSP homebrew RPGs.

What you make:
smafindh3.png

Estimated time: 60mins +
Difficulty: //////////

Intro to spriting.

Right, well spriting is not easy, well, not easy to do well.Before you go onto creating massive monsters and whatnot you need to know the basics.
Now in this tutorial we will be working with

Serideth

aren't these for RPG Maker XP?

And Are you using Photoshop?

They are, although I have seen a few PSP devs use these sprites for their homebrew.

And yes, I use photoshop simply due to the fact it has layers, and this allows me to remove and edit things I don't like later on :)

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Hey guys. I know this is a (very) old thread, but given that we've just merged with Exophase, I figured some of the members over here might not have seen it. And I think that's a shame. I've spent coutnless hours making sprites, mainly using the spritesheet provided in this thread, and I think it's a pretty fun thing to do when you're bored. Plus, with Seri's nice tutorial, theres no reason not to give it a go.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting is to post this;
145vu9.png

A sprite of me, made in around 40 minutes using the sprites from this guide. I don't really have any use for this sprite, but I jsut thoguht I'd make one becaue I have nothing better to be doing. I'm actually quite proud of it. :smile: Any comments and criticism are welcome, of course, but I want to see what you guys can do! Get drawing. :wink:

Serideth

Wow that's really good Fresh, although you surpassed my pixel art skills a long time ago :p

However having said that if you don't mind a bit of constructive critism I feel like the arms need a bit of shading on them, great work though.