• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Sprites. I'm finally learning the ways of the Pixel

Bran

Yell
Sprite.png

Working on sprites for a game project I'm also working on.

In case you're wondering. The armor on the end is inspired by http://bit.ly/fgXcRe

These have very little shading because I started working on these in MS Paint so my pallet was limited to say the least. I've started working on them in Photoshop just to utilize layers to help speed up the process of making all the frames of animation. I'll start colouring them once I've finished the animation. I don't want to get ahead of myself, this is going to be a long ass project anyway.

I've already starting taking comments and criticism, as you can see I've already altered the Power Armor shoulders already at the advice of a friend.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've got one thing to say: Serideth would be proud. Looks good, no criticism from me...can't think of anything yet

Bran

Yell
I used to suck really bad at pixel art. I'm still pretty impressed with myself these turned out so well. I did most of it from memory.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
tumblr_ljcmsfEAO71qb5oi5o1_1280.png

tumblr_ljcmsySdlI1qb5oi5o1_1280.png

Working on sprites for a game project I'm also working on.

In case you're wondering. The armor on the end is inspired by http://bit.ly/fgXcRe

These have very little shading because I started working on these in MS Paint so my pallet was limited to say the least. I've started working on them in Photoshop just to utilize layers to help speed up the process of making all the frames of animation. I'll start colouring them once I've finished the animation. I don't want to get ahead of myself, this is going to be a long ass project anyway.

I've already starting taking comments and criticism, as you can see I've already altered the Power Armor shoulders already at the advice of a friend.

Hey. Looks like your image has been deleted? I'd love to see what you've been up too, if you'd care to re-upload it. I used to dabble in Pixel Art a few years ago, also using MS Paint for most creations. Can I just note, however, that no matter what version of MS Paint your using, you can use any colour you like by using the 'Edit Colours' feature in the 'Colours' tab in the Paint window menu. Alternatively, if using 7 or Vista, you can simply click the 'Edit Colours' button on the Home tab on the ribbon. Both do the same thing, allowing you to enter Hue, Sat and Val or RGB values to create any colour you desire, and add it to the palette.

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Bran

Yell
Hey. Looks like your image has been deleted? I'd love to see what you've been up too, if you'd care to re-upload it. I used to dabble in Pixel Art a few years ago, also using MS Paint for most creations. Can I just note, however, that no matter what version of MS Paint your using, you can use any colour you like by using the 'Edit Colours' feature in the 'Colours' tab in the Paint window menu. Alternatively, if using 7 or Vista, you can simply click the 'Edit Colours' button on the Home tab on the ribbon. Both do the same thing, allowing you to enter Hue, Sat and Val or RGB values to create any colour you desire, and add it to the palette.

Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

I'd rather just use Photoshop at this point anyway, but thanks for the tip.

Also I can still see them fine, is anyone else getting that problem?

Spiros

Maiki
I only see the second image, and like Abe I couldn't see either of them before.

Are the first 4 sprites in the second image supposed to look like Samus from Metroid?

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
i think they look great, but one thing stands out to me. this is just my opinion, but i think the armor on the end should be a little bulkier. in most games suit upgrades add bulk to the suit. imo your armor should do the same. maybe add a little bulge to the shoulder and chest area. again, thats just my opinion. great job overall though :)

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I can see them all now. And, firstly, can I say that if this is one of your first, they look really, really good so far. :w00t:

I went to the effort of reducing them down to their normal size, and from what I can see, you've done a great job of defining the shape of each of the characters. All of the sprites are very well proportioned in terms of head to body size. They also have matching proportions in both animation frames, which is more difficult to do than it sounds (and something I struggle with), so well done there too. My one criticism so far is, while I know this is a work in progress and I shouldn't be so critical, in my honest opinion I think you should avoid such a stark change of colour in the armour for shadowing, etc., as seen mainly in the blue-dark blue transition on the forward leg on the last sprite. In my opinion, you should 'blend' it more-- for example, instead of going stright from Red to Yellow, go from Red to Orange to Yellow. I always try to make the transition as gentle as I can in the space I have, wherever possible. I find it gives a smoother, more glossy feel to the image, despite being pixel art. It's up to you, though, as this largely depends on the palette you have and style you're going for. However, having said that, I realise you noted shading as on your todo list, so you might be planning this already; in which case, I have no other comments.

As I said earlier, very impressive so far. ;) Can't wait to see the finished work.

Deathrow

Wow, those are pretty impressive. Keep up the great work and continue to post your progress!