• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Spyware or virus?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I let my sister use my laptop for awhile and she downloads stuff. Well I got a virus or something because in all my web browsers whenever I google something, about 80% of the time I get redirected to some attack site.
When I first open up my browser it will open the home page then once in awhile it will open another tab and go to freewebsitesurvey.com

I have windows 7 and I don't care about none of the files on my computer.
I tried inserting the disc and reinstalling it but whenever I try it says their is not enough space to store windows files, but my drive has about 40GB free.
Then when I try to do a custom install, it doesnt list my hard drive and says i need to find device drivers when before it would list them.

I ran AVG and McAfee anti virus and both found nothing.

Hellcat

Contributor
If you don't care about any files on the computer and want to complete scratch the HDD and reinstall, then grab a hexeditor that can edit raw devices (I'd recommend WinHEX for that), open the HDD (not a parition / drive letter, the whole disk) and overwrite the first 512 bytes with all zeros.

Reboot and try again.

This will wipe all partitioning information and let the HDD appear completely blank.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Ok I did that and now the computer won't boot at all cuz it says operating system is not found.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

So how would install windows now? Usb or something?

Hellcat

Contributor
Ok I did that and now the computer won't boot at all cuz it says operating system is not found.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

So how would install windows now? Usb or something?
Some bootable media, yeah.
Win CD/DVD, USB with Win setup on it, something like that.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Alright cool ill try it out later