• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Steam coming to linux (?)

Seth

MD Party Room
If this is true, there's a good possibility I will no longer boot into Windows.

Agreed That is untill word 2010 comes out again or I have to start school again, what distro are you runing now ?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I was under the impression it already worked under WINE and you could even play VAC games.

It does. Would be nice if they added native support however.

It does. Would be nice if they added native support however.

Very nice. Especially considering that WINE incurs a performance penalty and numerous compatibility issues (Tried it on my MBP, to little success). I'm even hoping the new OpenGL renderer makes it's way into the Windows version, see if it performs better.

Riorio99

I have a friend who's gonna love this. He only has a Windows machine for Valve games, other wise he's a massive Linux geek.

Hardrive

Contributor
I was under the impression it already worked under WINE and you could even play VAC games.

It does. Except AA, AF, and vsync don't work. Add that to random missing textures and the fonts being too large and being pixelated.

So yeah, it "works." It's just not a very enjoyable experience.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Not "based", but it's "core" is based on BSD, which is another UNIX-based operating system like Linux.

Not to mention a significantly more stable one..Linux is like on ADHD..one minute something will be one thing, people will write drivers for it..then it'll change. That's it's number one flaw. That and Richard Stallman is a crackhead.

Perhaps the binary compatibility that comes with FreeBSD 8 (Support for 2.6.18 32-bit Linux binaries) will come in handy with this. I hope so.

Also, [Phoronix] Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
wow a bit harsh.

I just saying it would of been nice to see cool features on linux that's based on windows and mac. its no wonder this forum has no new members if you blew them off like that.

He's saying that because they all support linux, minus PC games, which I agree, but it's unlikely, because Linux is ever-changing and NEVER has a stable API, which is it's largest flaw.

larryr

First cup of MfM
It would be a feat for Valve to continually update Steam for all the Linux API changes. I would very much like to see them do it....

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It would be a feat for Valve to continually update Steam for all the Linux API changes. I would very much like to see them do it....

I'm pretty sure they're going to entirely use third-party libs that don't change as much.