• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Steam for OS X out of Beta

Interesting how Portal is available..yet HL2 is not..

They were using Portal in the Beta, so it's most likely the reason why it was the first Source for Mac game.

I'd take it their primary priority is to get the Portal fork of Source working, so they can get Portal 2 ready for release. The Orange Box source engine should follow shortly; which will bring HL2, TF2, DOD:S & the new CSS Beta.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
They were using Portal in the Beta, so it's most likely the reason why it was the first Source for Mac game.

I'd take it their primary priority is to get the Portal fork of Source working, so they can get Portal 2 ready for release. The Orange Box source engine should follow shortly; which will bring HL2, TF2, DOD:S & the new CSS Beta.

uhhhh portal is part of orange box..I think they got that working

uhhhh portal is part of orange box..I think they got that working

I'm speaking about the engine. Notably, the Portal edition of Source is modified to deal with portals, ie physics & rendering. It's in the developer commentary.

HL2 and the like are most likely coming very soon. I'm just stating getting Portal working was their #1 priority considering they need it functioning for the immanent Portal 2 release, which is planned to simultaneously release for both PC/Mac.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Well, i've installed Portal and had a run through it.

Overall, I am VERY impressed out of the performance of a lowly 9400M. Seriously, the little thing managed to get a 30-60 framerate on low. Considering it's integrated graphics; that is VERY impressive. Didn't have to resort to high-fps configs yet, but I may need them for HL2, L4D & TF2. I plan to give it a shot on my brother's iMac with a 2600XT and report on it's performance.

Some things to note: There is no 'true' full screen mode, all background 3D services still run, and can hinder performance. Source also likes to change the screen's colour profiles while running the game. Also, Steam stashes all it's GCFs in the ~/Documents/ folder, which screws up my Dropbox sync. Oh well.

For the Steam client itself; it is exactly the same as the Windows client. Some may like this, some may not.

Tad buggy, had a period where Steam would refuse to load because the necessary prots weren't open.

All in all, highly impressive.

EDIT2:

I've run Portal on an iMac. Performance is notably worse than how it performed on Windows. What was able to run easily at 1920x1200 on medium now has difficulty running the same settings at 1280x800. This may be simply due to the fact that Mac OS X's OpenGL drivers are somewhat sub-par. Most likely, performance should improve in due time.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Yeah, it performs significantly worse than on Windows. My suspicion is that Mac OS X's drivers in all aren't as good as the official Windows ones. I suspect that the Linux version will be faster.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
pretty awesome that they have like 63 games available on the Mac platform. Wonder if there'll ever be any Mac exclusives available on it.