• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Steam Holiday Sale!

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The UT series will not "evolve" like other shooters we see because it is still a part of the UT series. It's fast-paced and arena-style maps are still enjoyable today. Although I will say that while UT3 was a solid game in its own respects it backtracked from UT2k4. CS:S and TF2 are part of an entirely different style than UT games, so you really can't compare them to another in that sense.

UT3 was like Halo 2 for the PC in my opinion. The previous installment (UT2k4 / Halo CE) had a very large modding community and was more or less enjoyable to play regardless of your skill set. Modding was non-existent in Halo 2 and in UT3 we see a very small community with much fewer modifications.

I'm glad I didn't pay attention to this thread throughout the holidays, I knew I would spend money if I saw these deals. Also I don't think I'll ever buy something off of steam again when it is the regular price, they are constantly having deals...

Joey

The UT series will not "evolve" like other shooters we see because it is still a part of the UT series. It's fast-paced and arena-style maps are still enjoyable today. Although I will say that while UT3 was a solid game in its own respects it backtracked from UT2k4. CS:S and TF2 are part of an entirely different style than UT games, so you really can't compare them to another in that sense.

UT3 was like Halo 2 for the PC in my opinion. The previous installment (UT2k4 / Halo CE) had a very large modding community and was more or less enjoyable to play regardless of your skill set. Modding was non-existent in Halo 2 and in UT3 we see a very small community with much fewer modifications.

I'm glad I didn't pay attention to this thread throughout the holidays, I knew I would spend money if I saw these deals. Also I don't think I'll ever buy something off of steam again when it is the regular price, they are constantly having deals...

I disagree, I think you can absolutely compare them. Not in terms of gameplay, but everything else. TF2 made playing like a team a requirement for success, and created a deep, and balanced game with classes and weapons that were truly different from one another.

MW2 added RPG like progression that kept you wanting to play just one more match... Maybe I can unlock the next gun, or attachment.

UT3 did none of this. They took UT2K4, made it prettier, and put it out. It's no better or worse than the games in it's direct lineage, but does nothing to modernize it's self, and keep up with other games on the market.

To me, TF2 scratches the twitch itch, while also giving me something more. TF2 made UT, in it's current encarnation, completely irrelevant in my eyes.

Also, I think you have it backwards. The lack of modding didn't lead to a smaller community, the lack of a community (because of a lack of intrest in a stagnant game), led to less modding. There was just nothing appealing about UT3, when MW and TF2 and even Halo 3 were on the market.

El Diablo

Um...were MW2 and Halo 3 announced at the time UT3 came out? They sure as hell weren't on the market so that's a poor argument right there.

El Diablo

I thought you said mw2, and I thought halo 3 came out within the past year...but whatever.

Fact of the matter is they are different games, different types of games, and not everyone likes every type of game. There are plenty good things about all the games and plenty of reasons to like each one and play each one, and obviously not everyone is going to like every game and it's pointless really to try and compare them all.

Joey

I thought you said mw2, and I thought halo 3 came out within the past year...but whatever.

Fact of the matter is they are different games, different types of games, and not everyone likes every type of game. There are plenty good things about all the games and plenty of reasons to like each one and play each one, and obviously not everyone is going to like every game and it's pointless really to try and compare them all.

Come on, we're not comparing Dragon Age to NBA Live here... The differences between UT3 and every other FPS out there are subtle enough that if you don't make enough stride to modernize it, it would fail... And it did. Sales were low, and nobody plays it.

It's not even a matter of opinion, they have been practically giving the game away on steam, and it still cannot gain traction.

El Diablo

But there is a difference between them. If you want to play a fun, run and gun death match arena game, play UT. If you want to play a game where you work as a team and complete objectives, play MW2. I don't get why it's so hard to understand. Different strokes for different folks.

Joey

But there is a difference between them. If you want to play a fun, run and gun death match arena game, play UT. If you want to play a game where you work as a team and complete objectives, play MW2. I don't get why it's so hard to understand. Different strokes for different folks.

Actaully, if I want to play a run and gun death match game, I'll play MW2... If I want to play as a team, I'll play TF2. Actually, TF2 works well for the former as well.

I don't see how UT3 is different enough to make up for the fact that there's nothing to play for... There's no hook.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I just think other games are surpassed it, do what UT3 does better, with better features around it.

What does UT3 do that TF2 doesn't, for instance?

Also, what are we arguing? That UT3 is a solid game? Because I agree. It's more than competent.

El Diablo

But why do you need something to play for? What's wrong with just playing to play?

El Diablo

Like I said, to each his own. I have plenty of fun playing CS and have had plenty of fun for the past 4 years. I keep myself plenty entertained playing different mods and all the maps. It just depends who you are.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well looks like the sale is over, here my list..
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Mirror's Edge
Max Payne 1
Max Payne 2
beyond good and evil
Mass Effect

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'll say that the same reason that UT3 doesn't have a decent online following is the same reason that Crysis and the STALKER series don't have them...system requirements.

Joey

I'll say that the same reason that UT3 doesn't have a decent online following is the same reason that Crysis and the STALKER series don't have them...system requirements.

UT3 actually has very low system requirements. UE3 is very scalable...

Ok, enough about this retarded topic. I can say, this sale was so long, I'd actually forgotten what the original Steam storefront looked like. Let's see my final tally (Oh god...)

Grand Theft Auto IV
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Machinarium
Braid
Trine
NBA 2K10
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Red Faction Guerrilla
Torchlight
Limines + Lumines Advanced Pack
Zombie Driver
Burnout Paradise
Mass Effect
Titan Quest
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne

And, for $35 at Best Buy, I also bought Left 4 Dead 2...

I will now promptly kill my self for succumbing to temptation, and spending far more money that I actually have.

Joey

Is clear sky any good (in comparison to shadow of chernobyl)? SoC was 'alright' but technical issues, shaky story and difficulty curve brought it down.

I don't know, I haven't actually haven't taken the time to play either, lol.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Clear Sky is still worth playing but IMO it is not as good as the first. Both games are rather challenging in the beginning but once you get decent guns it's not so bad. Definitely less bugs in Clear Sky though.