• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Strange gaming lag issue.

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
basically my PC build im using that is of ... well i would say above average spec is having a bit of a problem running some of the major gaming titles e.g Crysis, Farcry 2 .etc

The specs of the PC are:

• Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6700)
  • 4GB Corsair 800Mhz RAM
  • XFX 9800 GX2 graphics card
  • 2x 750GB HDD's in RAID 0 (could be an issue)
  • Asus Striker II Formula 780i Motherboard
~

thats a basic overview but the fact is im 100% sure my mate with a 8800 and a 2GB should be able to max out crysis warhead when im struggling with a GX2. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
Do you have the latest driver for your mobo and gpu?

Last time i checked i had the latest drivers for everything.
But i have come to the conclusion im going to tidy the machine up, reinstall vista and update EVERY driver in the machine.

maybe then this ass will work XD

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
In your CPUz report you send me it said you had 400MHz ram?

LocutusEstBorg

I have a 9800GX2 as well, and FarCry 2 is simply a unoptimized crappy game. It runs faster on single GPU cards that are 30% as fast as a GX2.

Crysis needs a minimum of 3.2-3.5 GHz (by Core 2 standards) CPU to utilize a GX2 to its fullest.

Your Q6700 has a 10x multiplier, and that board is insane for overclocking (and insanely expensive). Since you have an nVidia chipset, you should be able to unlink your RAM and FSB, to aid in overclocking the CPU. You should be able to easily push the CPU to 360x10 with your RAM unlinked at 400. Or keep the RAM linked and run 1:1 at 400x8 or (400x9 if its stable).

At 3.6GHz you will easily get 30FPS in Crysis with EVERYTHING on Very High (DX9 mode, edit the config files to make all High settings as Very High) at 1440x900. The GX2 doesn't have enough memory to run higher than this resolution in Crysis.