• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

TA-088v3 - Should I upgrade from 5.03 GEN?

Rubr1K

Ghettosmurf
Hello

I have two PSP's, one Slim with a TA-088v3 motherboard, the unhackable one, and an older PSP slim with a TA-085v2, which is hackable.

I've tried a few newer HEN's and I've found the 6.20 PRO-B5 to be at my liking, it has a recovery menu and a permanent patch ability, PSN also works. 5.03 GEN is stable and all that good stuff, but it's getting a bit obsolete. PSN doesn't work (not even with PSNlover plugin) and it doesn't support the newer services like SensMe, Qriocity, Comic reader, Information board and more.

Now, my question(s):

1. Should I make the upgrade to 6.X in the first place? It's a trade for a working HEN against one that I'm not sure is compatible with the TA-088v3 mobo.

2. Should I attempt the permanent patch? I know that you can TRY the new .prx file before you permanently flash it, and that it can be uninstalled, but in case of an emergency I kinda want second opinion. Have you tried it on an unhackable Slim?
I've seen people with PSP 3000's with the permanent patch dot dot dot...

3. I find UMD's to be a bit obsolete (even though I have ridge racer popped in the UMD tray at all times ;)) so I store my games on my memory stick. Since everyone seems to only want ISO-support in their PSP's, many devs seem to have discontinued native ISO support in the PSP. I know that Pro-B5 supports it, but is there any newer firmwares than 6.20 that have ISO support and preferrably has a permanent patch) (Edit: just read the piracy policy in the PSP forum, this is a sensitive subject across the internet, except for direct warez sites that provide links to ISO's. To my understanding, discussing legally obtained ISO's is okay, so my question should be within what the rules allow :))

4. Do I need to uninstall 5.03 GEN-C or can I just update to 6.20 and install Pro-B5, and apply the perm. patch? I heard there is no official GEN uninstaller, but that the CFWenabler can do it for you. No? Yes?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :) It's actually pretty hard to find good PSP Communities these days, they all dead :(

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
1. Should I make the upgrade to 6.X in the first place? It's a trade for a working HEN against one that I'm not sure is compatible with the TA-088v3 mobo.
whether or not you upgrade is up to you. if you are interested in the new features you cannot acces on 5.03 gen, then i say go for it. imo the main things to consider is that all the plugins you like have been ported to 6.xx cfws and things like that.

2. Should I attempt the permanent patch? I know that you can TRY the new .prx file before you permanently flash it, and that it can be uninstalled, but in case of an emergency I kinda want second opinion. Have you tried it on an unhackable Slim?
I've seen people with PSP 3000's with the permanent patch dot dot dot...
again, thats up to you. tbh i never saw the issue with launching cfw everytime the psp rebooted, but it seems now a days people are getting lazier and lazier, and anything that takes away a button press is a great renovation, even at the cost of possibly bricking :\

anything that works on a psp-3000 should work just the same on a ta-088v3, so if you want to try the permanent patch, i say go for it. again its up to you :)

3. I find UMD's to be a bit obsolete (even though I have ridge racer popped in the UMD tray at all times ;)) so I store my games on my memory stick. Since everyone seems to only want ISO-support in their PSP's, many devs seem to have discontinued native ISO support in the PSP. I know that Pro-B5 supports it, but is there any newer firmwares than 6.20 that have ISO support and preferrably has a permanent patch) (Edit: just read the piracy policy in the PSP forum, this is a sensitive subject across the internet, except for direct warez sites that provide links to ISO's. To my understanding, discussing legally obtained ISO's is okay, so my question should be within what the rules allow :))
without getting into all the details, attempting to combat piracy is the reason why most devs dont include native iso support, which just means that they will be developed by someone else :\ currently both main 6.xx cfws (6.20 tn and 6.35 pro) both have some sort of iso support, and both have permanent patches (with the 6.20 tn permanent patch just being released recently).

4. Do I need to uninstall 5.03 GEN-C or can I just update to 6.20 and install Pro-B5, and apply the perm. patch? I heard there is no official GEN uninstaller, but that the CFWenabler can do it for you. No? Yes?
no. updating the the higher version of firmware should remove anything left behind be 5.03 gen. if you are weary, you could try running the 5.03 gen updater and looking for an uninstallation option (depending on which version of 5.03 gen you have installed).

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :) It's actually pretty hard to find good PSP Communities these days, they all dead :(
no problem, and i hope this helps ;)

Rubr1K

Ghettosmurf
whether or not you upgrade is up to you. if you are interested in the new features you cannot acces on 5.03 gen, then i say go for it. imo the main things to consider is that all the plugins you like have been ported to 6.xx cfws and things like that.

well really the only thing that bugs me is that 5.03 is becoming more and more obsolete. Things like how the 6.xx colors are missing, that "system update" is still named "Network update" for me, and that I don't have the Extras category, nor SensMe, Qriocity (even though it's unavailable here in Sweden) and Information Board.

It's kind of like running windows XP today. You know Windows 7 is out, you know in what ways it's better but you're sticking with it "in case some files turn corrupt and you're too lazy to take the risk of having to format your computer".

again, thats up to you. tbh i never saw the issue with launching cfw everytime the psp rebooted, but it seems now a days people are getting lazier and lazier, and anything that takes away a button press is a great renovation, even at the cost of possibly bricking :\

anything that works on a psp-3000 should work just the same on a ta-088v3, so if you want to try the permanent patch, i say go for it. again its up to you :)

Frankly I don't see it as a matter of laziness. Having a full CFW feels a lot more like a hacked PSP. It's not "one button press" it's a delay. Your PSP doesn't boot with all your desired plugins nor native homebrew support, you need to launch HEN which essentially adds about 10 seconds to the boot process, so to speak, since you can't do much of the phun things without HEN. It's like comparing a 5 second boot and 15 second boot that requires manual interaction. It's just not the same.

But yes, you do have a point, with "risking bricking". I did find out that the permanent patch will work with the 01g-05g. Both my PSP Slims are 02g, TA-085v2 and TA-088v3, so I should be in the clear :) (devs even added uninstall option, <3 them)

without getting into all the details, attempting to combat piracy is the reason why most devs dont include native iso support, which just means that they will be developed by someone else :\ currently both main 6.xx cfws (6.20 tn and 6.35 pro) both have some sort of iso support, and both have permanent patches (with the 6.20 tn permanent patch just being released recently).

I have nothing to add, lol. *thumbs up*

no. updating the the higher version of firmware should remove anything left behind be 5.03 gen. if you are weary, you could try running the 5.03 gen updater and looking for an uninstallation option (depending on which version of 5.03 gen you have installed).
Yarr, I figured. I left the PSP community more or less and picked up playing with iPods and iPhones instead, where updating from a jailbroken firmware to a non jailbroken firmware would leave traces of the jailbreak and other crap on the device.
Even though I had a hunch from what I knew (that I should be in the clear) I was worried it would leave some obsolete files in the flash0 that might interfere with the new HEN, or "CFW" (permanent hen really, lol)

Thanks for teh reply... Just one last question... Is there anything I should know in terms of difference between 5.03 GEN-C and 6.20 PRO-B5? Anything from PSN compatibility to... say certain game compatibility? I know that 5.03 GEN-C works with those 6.X games that used to be a pain about a year ago, but that was about the time my PSP usage dropped. Maybe 6.20 PRO supports even newer games that 5.03 doesn't?

thanks again doe :)

Deathrow

well really the only thing that bugs me is that 5.03 is becoming more and more obsolete. Things like how the 6.xx colors are missing, that "system update" is still named "Network update" for me, and that I don't have the Extras category, nor SensMe, Qriocity (even though it's unavailable here in Sweden) and Information Board.

It's kind of like running windows XP today. You know Windows 7 is out, you know in what ways it's better but you're sticking with it "in case some files turn corrupt and you're too lazy to take the risk of having to format your computer".

There is nothing wrong with 5.03. So it doesn't support a few shitty services so what...
There is nothing worth it in the 6.xx firmwares to begin with, Sony's software plain out sucks.
Only thing useful thing the 6.xx firmwares have is the updated decryption-on-the-fly, but with enough iso tools to patch your games manually and individually there is no real point. Until Sony actually releases some useful software for the PSP, I probably won't ever have a need to update. (like wise to many M33 users.)

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
Thanks for teh reply... Just one last question... Is there anything I should know in terms of difference between 5.03 GEN-C and 6.20 PRO-B5? Anything from PSN compatibility to... say certain game compatibility? I know that 5.03 GEN-C works with those 6.X games that used to be a pain about a year ago, but that was about the time my PSP usage dropped. Maybe 6.20 PRO supports even newer games that 5.03 doesn't?
well, supposedly the 6.xx cfws can access the psn without use of any plugins (like psnlover). the 6.xx cfws will also have native support for the majority of newer games, plus built-in pops support, although its not as good as the popsloader plugin from what i understand.

in case you havent noticed i dont use 6.xx cfws myself. im still on 5.00 m33-6 xD

Rubr1K

Ghettosmurf
@ultimakillz: Yeah, the PSN access is what I kinda want, and the new colors <3

One last quetsion though, does 6.20 PRO-B5 have a recovery menu?