• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Teach programming

Roe

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who would like to help me get started with programming in C or C++. I tried some of the psp-programming.com tutorials but I didn't really get going with it. I was just hoping that someone would teach me over messenger or something like that. Thanks

- roe-ur-boat

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who would like to help me get started with programming in C or C++. I tried some of the psp-programming.com tutorials but I didn't really get going with it. I was just hoping that someone would teach me over messenger or something like that. Thanks

- roe-ur-boat

really it would be best to sign up to a college course or something that specializes in this kinda thing but obviously that costs money...

another way is self-teaching through reading articles and using references which is what i do.
a good reference book i would recommend is C++ for Dummies. it doesn't deal with the windows API but i would definately recommend it for a begginer.

it's all about building up your knowledge.also,as a warning,it is very maths and algelbra related.if you didnt/don't do well with those then you might have problems with this.

Roe

really it would be best to sign up to a college course or something that specializes in this kinda thing but obviously that costs money...

another way is self-teaching through reading articles and using references which is what i do.
a good reference book i would recommend is C++ for Dummies. it doesn't deal with the windows API but i would definately recommend it for a begginer.

it's all about building up your knowledge.also,as a warning,it is very maths and algelbra related.if you didnt/don't do well with those then you might have problems with this.
Thanks for the advice MenaceInc its just that I was more looking for someone who knows it and has a bit of free time that might like to teach me

Roe

I was using lua but it hasn't got that many options. Does anyone think the 3d gamemaker program is good

MenaceInc

Staff Member
C+ is very very hard to learn if you want to make games teh quick and easy way use lua

it isnt THAT hard....the basics are alright but implement the windows API to display results is getting me in a spin....i can make like basic programs but they run in a DOS box... :\

ah well :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
do you have the PSPSDK installed? there are various samples that can be found at usr\local\pspdev\psp\sdk\samples

taking a look at these should help you get a grasp on most of the functions.

I really suggest making some small apps for PC before heading straight to PSP though

MenaceInc

Staff Member
do you have the PSPSDK installed? there are various samples that can be found at usr\local\pspdev\psp\sdk\samples

taking a look at these should help you get a grasp on most of the functions.

I really suggest making some small apps for PC before heading straight to PSP though

ditto :p

although you're giving tips on a linux setup there in regards to the PSPSDK....i think he was looking to try and make it in a windows envioment...although not really possible.. :\ so yea,that bit might of confused him....ah well :)

but you're right,should make some apps for pc first.

Roe

ditto :p

although you're giving tips on a linux setup there in regards to the PSPSDK....i think he was looking to try and make it in a windows envioment...although not really possible.. :\ so yea,that bit might of confused him....ah well :)

but you're right,should make some apps for pc first.
No, he didn't confuse me I know that I have to install cygwin and setup the pspdsk by usig some sort of psp toolchain or something. And is it easier to make apps for the pc or the psp. Because if it is I could start making things on the pc then I could work on to making stuff for the psp. I probably could get a basic knowledge of C on making pc apps then move on to psp and get better. What do you think?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
No, he didn't confuse me I know that I have to install cygwin and setup the pspdsk by usig some sort of psp toolchain or something. And is it easier to make apps for the pc or the psp. Because if it is I could start making things on the pc then I could work on to making stuff for the psp. I probably could get a basic knowledge of C on making pc apps then move on to psp and get better. What do you think?

well,i would say the psp as the windows API is just like whaaaaaa....haha....nah,i'm not 100% really as i havent tried any on the PSP and i havent made any graphical programs on the PC so cant really say.any of the developers here wanna say?

Darkchild

The Doctor
canadajames to make emulators not only do you have to know the language very well, but also, how the emulated machine works (like the palm of your hand) Roe-ur-boat If I were you I'd develop some programing logic first try learning "Softer" programming languages :)

Roe

canadajames to make emulators not only do you have to know the language very well, but also, how the emulated machine works (like the palm of your hand) Roe-ur-boat If I were you I'd develop some programing logic first try learning "Softer" programming languages :)
What would you classify a softer language to be, if you mean something like lua I'm practicing a bit of that.

Darkchild

The Doctor
Err... where I am from, people usually start with pascal, then Visual basic then c++/Java

that's the path I'd advise you to follow =)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Err... where I am from, people usually start with pascal, then Visual basic then c++/Java

i just started off on C++... :\ and doing alright i think...although still nothing big and graphical for Windows....but in the middle of remaking Space Invaders on PSP... :)

Roe

Do you know of any good sites for compilers or tutorials for pascal.

Darkchild

The Doctor
I know only 2:

Borland Pascal (I think this one is commercial) (english)
Pascalzim (Free)(Brazillian)

If you need tutorials I'm a good teacher ;)

shadowforte

What do meen by that? That Python is not simple, or it is? Because if that is not simple for them(good god), then go with Lua or Pascal I geuss. Python is not THAT hard.