• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC The best FFVII remake you'll ever get.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Is in your own hands, at the moment :p

http://kotaku.com/5910318/you-want-..._source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

PC-only.

Here are the instructions from the YT page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4

MOD INSTRUCTIONS (Warning: ~20GB of downloads/installs. Be patient)

1. Buy the game (Ultima Edition torrents do NOT work with these mods): http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Pc/dp/B00000DMAA

2. Perform a MAXIMUM installation.

3. Download and extract 1.02 patch to the installation folder: http://ffsf.aaron-kelley.net/patch.html

4. Download and extract Aali's Custom Graphics Driver to the installation folder: http://backup.ninjaloot.se/share/ff7_opengl-0.7.11b.zip

5. How to enable Aali's Custom Graphics Driver:

- Run FF7Config.exe from the installation folder.

- Go to the Graphics tab.

- Under Renderer, select "Custom driver". You should receive a message saying it passed the test, working properly, etc.

- Exit the program.

6. Download Bootleg Configurator: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12008.msg168306#msg168306

7a. Use this tutorial for setting up and installing Bootleg Configurator: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12636.0

7b. Use this if there are any broken links in the Mod List (step 6): http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.msg173800

7c. Here are the settings I use: http://tinyurl.com/843cwcf

8. How to enable FF7Music mod:

- Open FF7Music.exe from the installation folder (...\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\FF7Music\FF7Music.exe).

- Click on Configure.

- Go to the Files tab.

- Under Profile, select "OSTRemastered".

- Save and Exit.

9. On your desktop should be a new icon called FF7 BootLoader. Run it and configure to however you want. Make sure to click "Write CFG" to actually save what you configure.

10. Click Play FF7. Enjoy!

Might not be the HD Remake everyone wants, but at least you can play FFVII without your eyes bleeding.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Hah!

I actually quite like the look of the original...if it's played on an old CRT or on the PSP. (it looks quite fantastic on the PSP personally)

But I remember playing the PC version back in the late 90's and thought it looked and sounded much worse.

I remember a lot of these Music remakes being made for the PC version. But the music in the video is pretty terrible(Ok not terrible. Passable and "Good enough" I can enjoy them despite flaws). They are straightforward MIDI rips from the game's MIDI data without any thought put into production other than "Find same instrument in some VSTi>Done"(Because it sounds plainly really fake and robotic. And there is inconsistencies in the production from Sampler that have reverb pre-recorded on them and completely ass dry synths and other things)
Honestly the results would be better if they just streamed the original PSX music. Because pretty much anyone can do what was done. The person used some pretty decent sample sets that are actually professional sets but failed to optimize for the samplers way of realistically creating certain things. Like Timpani Crescendos, the ones in the song used in the video are still the sequential MIDI notes from the original game that were done as the only realistic way to do it with GeneralMIDI sound sets, rather than using keyswitches or predefined keys for short and long crescendos that tempo match.

And before anyone gets all hater on me, I only speak of it because of the love the soundtrack deserves.
But I will be honest, the version in the videos sound a lot better than the old versions from a few years ago.
I even discussed technical choices with one of two different people who did two different versions, and did my own MIDI RIP versions as parts of the discussion like 4 years ago (See: http://k005.kiwi6.com/hotlink/zlrzo3f3ya/bike_chase.mp3 )
Trust me I know my shit, listen to an example of an arrangement/remix i've done
Prog Orchestral rock Medley of castlevania for "Vampire Variations" a 25th Anniversary Fan album from Nov of last year (www.kngi.org/vampirevariations/)
http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/5y56z...nightmares_medley_bonkers_ft_vikingguitar.mp3
(Listen to all of it)

But otherwise these mods seem pretty great!
The new character models keep the look of the early polygonal style but make them akin to the battle models. And the menus and sound effects sound good.

If it becomes super popular, I should really bring it to attention of a lot of the VGM remixing community , and possibly make better versions of these tunes without altering the compositions.
But of course, it'll be ok either way I guess. It'll probably satiate the thirst for a lot of people.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Hah!

I actually quite like the look of the original...if it's played on an old CRT or on the PSP. (it looks quite fantastic on the PSP personally)

But I remember playing the PC version back in the late 90's and thought it looked and sounded much worse.

I remember a lot of these Music remakes being made for the PC version. But the music in the video is pretty terrible(Ok not terrible. Passable and "Good enough" I can enjoy them despite flaws). They are straightforward MIDI rips from the game's MIDI data without any thought put into production other than "Find same instrument in some VSTi>Done"(Because it sounds plainly really fake and robotic. And there is inconsistencies in the production from Sampler that have reverb pre-recorded on them and completely ass dry synths and other things)
Honestly the results would be better if they just streamed the original PSX music. Because pretty much anyone can do what was done. The person used some pretty decent sample sets that are actually professional sets but failed to optimize for the samplers way of realistically creating certain things. Like Timpani Crescendos, the ones in the song used in the video are still the sequential MIDI notes from the original game that were done as the only realistic way to do it with GeneralMIDI sound sets, rather than using keyswitches or predefined keys for short and long crescendos that tempo match.

And before anyone gets all hater on me, I only speak of it because of the love the soundtrack deserves.
But I will be honest, the version in the videos sound a lot better than the old versions from a few years ago.
I even discussed technical choices with one of two different people who did two different versions, and did my own MIDI RIP versions as parts of the discussion like 4 years ago (See: http://k005.kiwi6.com/hotlink/zlrzo3f3ya/bike_chase.mp3 )
Trust me I know my shit, listen to an example of an arrangement/remix i've done
Prog Orchestral rock Medley of castlevania for "Vampire Variations" a 25th Anniversary Fan album from Nov of last year (www.kngi.org/vampirevariations/)
http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/5y56z...nightmares_medley_bonkers_ft_vikingguitar.mp3
(Listen to all of it)

But otherwise these mods seem pretty great!
The new character models keep the look of the early polygonal style but make them akin to the battle models. And the menus and sound effects sound good.

If it becomes super popular, I should really bring it to attention of a lot of the VGM remixing community , and possibly make better versions of these tunes without altering the compositions.
But of course, it'll be ok either way I guess. It'll probably satiate the thirst for a lot of people.

You won't get any hate from me, I can understand what you're saying and I do agree with all your points.

I'm still downloading mods and stuff, the Bootleg tool is actually awesome and let's you customize perfectly the game, I'll try the OCRemix OST and see what's different, the guy in the video is using the FinalFanTim OST which is probably a fan remake or something.

Trigun

Oh ok yeah I remember FinalFanTim.

Honestly the music was the only sore point for me <:=) (And it's still very listenable!)
Everything else looked pretty great.

And also TBH I wouldn't entirely recommend the OCRemix FF7 album either because they were not designed as loopable songs. And many of them radically change the original material and often change genres of music so the feelings are totally off or weird. But outside of the game they sound good and that's what they were made for.
As someone who has 4 songs still waiting to be posted to the site and 3 tracks released on the album before last (MMX Maverick Rising, under my Music pen name "BONKERS") Songs are often made more listenable when out of context rather than the looping structures it uses in game. And Thus introduces many variations or new stuff all together.
In the case of "Mako Reactor" The original song goes like (As an example of the original structure)
Intro
SectionA
SectionB
SectionC
SectionD
SectionD"(variation)
Loops back to sectionA does a run until D" again and then loops back to intro IIRC.
And that basically is all the music is. A fairly simple basic idea that shares many concepts with stuff like commercial Verse/Chorus type music.

HOWEVER, if you listen to Voices of The Lifestream and it sounds fine to you. USE IT.
I am just a slightly jaded assturd, due to spending absurd amounts of time working on music the last 4 years.
So do what feels right for you.

This looks like it'd be a great way to rexperience the game. And it looks better than if they did a "remaster" like with PS2 games. Where simply rendering in highresolution and giving a proper widescreen AR is quid pro quo. And it would be letterboxed in 4:3 since the source material likely only exists in that format.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Oh ok yeah I remember FinalFanTim.

Honestly the music was the only sore point for me <:=) (And it's still very listenable!)
Everything else looked pretty great.

And also TBH I wouldn't entirely recommend the OCRemix FF7 album either because they were not designed as loopable songs. And many of them radically change the original material and often change genres of music so the feelings are totally off or weird. But outside of the game they sound good and that's what they were made for.
As someone who has 4 songs still waiting to be posted to the site and 3 tracks released on the album before last (MMX Maverick Rising, under my Music pen name "BONKERS") Songs are often made more listenable when out of context rather than the looping structures it uses in game. And Thus introduces many variations or new stuff all together.
In the case of "Mako Reactor" The original song goes like (As an example of the original structure)
Intro
SectionA
SectionB
SectionC
SectionD
SectionD"(variation)
Loops back to sectionA does a run until D" again and then loops back to intro IIRC.
And that basically is all the music is. A fairly simple basic idea that shares many concepts with stuff like commercial Verse/Chorus type music.

HOWEVER, if you listen to Voices of The Lifestream and it sounds fine to you. USE IT.
I am just a slightly jaded assturd, due to spending absurd amounts of time working on music the last 4 years.
So do what feels right for you.

This looks like it'd be a great way to rexperience the game. And it looks better than if they did a "remaster" like with PS2 games. Where simply rendering in highresolution and giving a proper widescreen AR is quid pro quo. And it would be letterboxed in 4:3 since the source material likely only exists in that format.

Heh, don't worry I've become much more tolerant than I used to be :p

I kinda hate Voices of the Lifestream, but there are a lot of good ReMixes that weren't included in the album. I'll poke around and see how the music's like, if I don't like it I'll go back to the PSOne music xD

I like how they've re-done everything, including cutscenes. I'm playing the game at 1680x1050 and the game looks GREAT.

Trigun

That's good to know if I decide to play it again in the near future! It's been about 3 or so years since I have. (It was on the PSP too)
And Voices of The Lifestream, I initially hated it too, only enjoying the least messed up compositions. The rest grew on me over the years but, I am still of the boat that certain things just can't be so drastically changed.

I'm part of a Secret project on OCR right that is dealing with some similar material and I made it clear I wanted to extend the composition of the song I chose and keep the feeling of the original. But as WIPs popped up, I realized that this was gonna be another VOTL level type event because certain songs were arranged ways that just don't feel right or songs that should've never been arranged in the first place.

So it leaves me with a conflict of , do I stay and make my song true to my intentions and be grouped among these people when it's released? Or drop the project and complete it on my own at a later date and submit it to the site by itself?

Kind of related there is another Final Fantasy Album coming out within the next month or two. One of the music from FFI, so a lot more liberty can be taken to be more adventureous with the material since it's such an adventurous game. Most of it is Metal though lol and i'm responsible for 2 songs that I worked on for over a year and a half and were finished last August lol.

IMO Maverick Rising was good because it was something that most people on OCR's style could fit with. Plus Megaman has music like Castlevania that can be adapted in a million ways and still be great.