• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death of Sony Security

Alex

To all of the above:

In my opinion, complete 1-console backwards capabilities should be an industry standard on the part of consumer happiness - just like it was "unofficially" for the last decade.

Not being able to play PS2 games on a PS3 is horrendous, as well, a wag of my finger goes to Microsoft for crippling their own BC by for some reason having to do them all individually (being able to BC a handful of games justifies nothing)

Well... When I bought my PS3. I always thought I would use the BC. (I have the 60GB PS3, Sd slots, 4 usbs, BC) But Since ive had it. Ive only ever played 1 ps2 game. That was Buzz LOL

But if you want to play ps2 games, theres a ps2 for that. You can buy them here for

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
The issue is not so much that I cant just buy a PS2, but I feel that all the money that I and millions of other people invested in the previous consoles since the beginning of the console wars - should pay me back some how, and it only seems right that Platform holders make solid attempts at keeping, maintaining and developing BC consoles. Its like making a new console but keeping the same gfx card from the previous version. To me, it just seems like an injustice.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I agree with both of you, it was just plain retarded and just made them lose fanbase.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I have to agree with Josey on this one. Keeping PS1 BC and dumping PS2 was straight up retarded.

isn't the PS1 BC a straight software implementation?, while i don't disagree, the hardware to run the PS2 emulation should have been kept, it is understandable that doing a PS2 software implementation probably isn't as easy, or if it's even possible on the ps3

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
isn't the PS1 BC a straight software implementation?, while i don't disagree, the hardware to run the PS2 emulation should have been kept, it is understandable that doing a PS2 software implementation probably isn't as easy, or if it's even possible on the ps3

The PS1 is such an archaic system at this point that the PS3 itself can emulate the software so it was no biggie.

But heres the kicker -

The PS3 can play PS1 games but not PS2 games (lets say for this argument we have a non-ps2 BC ps3)
PSN offers downloadable buyable versions of PS1 games, but no PS2 games.

To me, thats a SERIOUSLY flawed dynamic in their systems. To offer BC and DLables of a console 10 years old but NOT its predecessor seems like insanity to me

With that said, I still have no sympathy for Sony for taking it out. It was possible, it was working, people wanted it, people had it, it worked - so why get rid of it? To cut costs? I dont buy that so they can keep selling it to us all they want but I dont agree with that as a good enough reason to take out something so pivotal to the console industry.

Hellcat

Contributor
You're forgetting that the PS2 is still selling!

Why would they add emulation of a system they still produce and you still can buy new?
Makes sense from THEIR point of view!

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You're forgetting that the PS2 is still selling!

Why would they add emulation of a system they still produce and you still can buy new?
Makes sense from THEIR point of view!

Ethically, its borderline wrong. Thats why it doesnt make sense. Its a move they chose to make under pretty shady pretenses

Regardless, I doubt they are profiting THAT crazy from selling $40 hardware. Not to mention I feel like people who are willing to buy a ps2 again, is probably buying it used, so based on that Sony isnt actually making any profit.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah I don't see people buying new PS2s but I do see used ones being sold every once in awhile. Still dumb to remove the feature, like Josey said, they had it and it was working.

EDIT: So apparently a CFW has been released.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
If the PS3 homebrew scene actually opened up with people making LEGIT and AWESOME homebrew games - I might be inclined to jump aboard the band wagon for a while.

This doesnt change my opinion on anything, but any easy and painless and usually worth doing

Hardrive

Contributor
If the PS3 homebrew scene actually opened up with people making LEGIT and AWESOME homebrew games - I might be inclined to jump aboard the band wagon for a while.

This doesnt change my opinion on anything, but any easy and painless and usually worth doing

Aren't legit games a ways off? I don't think the unofficial SDK is quite as mature as the PSP's.

Riorio99

If there are some really rock-solid emulators and some truly great homebrew games, and there's no risk of getting banned, then I'll be all over this. I don't have the hardware to download back-ups (100gb hard drive in my PC, 40gb in PS3 and my external 500gb doesn't work with the PS3 for no reason.), so that's out of the running, but homebrew is a definite maybe.

LocutusEstBorg

There pretty much no way to permanently ban anyone unless they make you register a game to an account with a CD-Key or something. I DO foresee the PSN getting completely fucked up because of hackers in the coming months, with no way to stop them without using a CD-Key system.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
There pretty much no way to permanently ban anyone unless they make you register a game to an account with a CD-Key or something. I DO foresee the PSN getting completely fucked up because of hackers in the coming months, with no way to stop them without using a CD-Key system.

Yep, I bet more publishers will soon adopt EA's Online Pass strategy.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yep, I bet more publishers will soon adopt EA's Online Pass strategy.
I download games on the xbox that require the online pass, and what I do is on day 1 of release in the morning, email them saying my key don't work and I send them a bogus code and they email me a new one.

Hopefully if sony does this, they don't make it so easy to get a new one.