• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death of Sony Security

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
True. However Nintendo doesnt seem to make as big a deal about it as everyone else.

They actually made a big deal about it around the time the R4 DS was released; they tried to shut down a lot of manufacturers of the device and retailers

Robby

Los Doyers!
You just can't stop piracy. Eventually it will happen.

Deathrow

/\ lol.

It would be interesting if Sony could actually dig themselves out with a firmware update like they claim.

thedirt_shovel.jpg

Start diggin'!

LocutusEstBorg

There's nothing special about that video. It looked like it was a signed package running on stock FW. And I wish people would stop saying Jailbreak when talking about consoles for fuck sakes.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
There's nothing special about that video. It looked like it was a signed package running on stock FW. And I wish people would stop saying Jailbreak when talking about consoles for fuck sakes.
umm..that's exactly what makes is special...
the pkg/self signing was apparantly done with a diffrent crypto, which is what has stalled homebrew signing since the release of the key's, geohot just demonstrated that he's discovered how to run homebrew on stock FW

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Thought Math figured it out days ago and even released a PC decryptor for XMB run pagkages.
the decrypter is apparently much different then re-signing/signing, but in short, Math hasn't figured it out yet, i believe he's still working on getting make_self to sign correctly, then to get npdrm working(which geohot demonstrated in the video)

LocutusEstBorg

Thought a signer for service mode SELFs was done already, and PKG signing/encryption/decryption was only stalled because of file format understanding. Kakaroto's CFW could already install PKG files and run them.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Thought a signer for service mode SELFs was done already, and PKG signing/encryption/decryption was only stalled because of file format understanding. Kakaroto's CFW could already install PKG files and run them.

geohot's the only one who has succesfully signed an self, which he hasn't released the tool to do so yet, and now has finished getting npdrm working for package installation
i'm farily certain Kakaroto's CFW simply replaces the lv2self with a debug version to enable installation, i don't believe he actually did any signing to create a new self

LocutusEstBorg

Ah, I presumed he would have tried running one at least. Guess not. I don't see why GeoHot is suddenly interested again anyway.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I don't see why GeoHot is suddenly interested again anyway.

not sure, but tbh, without him, we'd be weeks, if not months away from this level of a hack

edit: @zero, not certain exactly what the s stands for, but i don't think it stands for signed

LocutusEstBorg

If all homebrew developers signed their apps like this and didn't bother with a patched firmware, we could practically sit on official firmware with ISO loaders and homebrew and PSN access and be undetectable.