• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death of Sony Security

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well it's official, homebrew devs can now sign all their packages.

Earlier today geohot gave us the keys to pretty much sign everything on the PS3;
http://www.geohot.com/

And a few hours later, Mathieulh found out that KIRK (PSP) keys were stored inside the PS3 OFW, and got a hold of them too...
http://twitter.com/#!/Mathieulh/status/21706129037856768

Sony security screwed up big time, this is the death of their security. No more exploits, ect... Devs can now sign all their stuff as if they were official.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Well it's official, homebrew devs can now sign all their packages.

Earlier today geohot gave us the keys to pretty much sign everything on the PS3;
http://www.geohot.com/

And a few hours later, Mathieulh found out that KIRK (PSP) keys were stored inside the PS3 OFW, and got a hold of them too...
http://twitter.com/#!/Mathieulh/status/21706129037856768

Sony security screwed up big time, this is the death of their security. No more exploits, ect... Devs can now sign all their stuff as if they were official.

you know, this makes me wonder if this is how datel discovered how to sign their own stuff, and everyone assumed they did it directly from the psp, maybe they found the key on the ps3?

most likly the answer is no, but still, an idea i guess

MenaceInc

Staff Member
So any homebrew can be run on ANY PSP or PS3 regardless of firmware? Interesting.
I was amazed that the PS3 lasted so long without being cracked but when it eventually was, it was completely blown apart and is probably more open now than any of the competitors consoles. xD

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So any homebrew can be run on ANY PSP or PS3 regardless of firmware? Interesting.
I was amazed that the PS3 lasted so long without being cracked but when it eventually was, it was completely blown apart and is probably more open now than any of the competitors consoles. xD

Agreed xD Any OFW can run HB now, that's the ultimate cracking open xD

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
well, it's not 100% yet, it'll still be a few more days/hours until all the work is done, and all the keys have been 100% discovered

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Wow. Reckon the security will be the same on PSP2? :p

Hellcat

Contributor
Wow. Reckon the security will be the same on PSP2? :p
Knowing Sony.... likely, yeah xD

Well, it's still some way until every HB dev can just self sign, but I think it's a way only need to be walked, so it's only a matter of time....

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Wouldnt Sony be able to just update the FW to prevent running the code, or is this more of a hardware end thing?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Game compatibility isn't the only hurdle. The updater keys actually cannot be changed, which means every firmware can be decrypted from here on out. Aside from a hardware change, there's nothing Sony can do to block CFW.

Although it remains to be seen if anyone will attempt a CFW..

Dan

Contributor
Hope not, most of the infamous devs are strictly against piracy, and seeing as homebrew can be ran freely, I doubt they need to go further. Anybody now claiming they want backups "for portability" is lying, or plainly retarded.

RedHate

I can has hax nao?
is there any self signed poc home-brew posted that we could test on an ofw to verify that this is true? it almost sounds to good though i am not in dis-belief i just wanna see a home-brew run on ofw i could care less if the homebrew is hello world in debug this clearly has caught a lot of peoples attention it'd be great to see a glimmer of hope, it'd make a lot of us happy to see a little demo proggy run.

Hardrive

Contributor
is there any self signed poc home-brew posted that we could test on an ofw to verify that this is true? it almost sounds to good though i am not in dis-belief i just wanna see a home-brew run on ofw i could care less if the homebrew is hello world in debug this clearly has caught a lot of peoples attention it'd be great to see a glimmer of hope, it'd make a lot of us happy to see a little demo proggy run.

geohot posted a self file on his site.

RedHate

I can has hax nao?
great thanks harddrive!