• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death of Sony Security

LocutusEstBorg

Why couldn't he have just made it like an EBOOT? Or doesn the PS3 not have the ability to launch anything official from the XMB thats store on a memory stick/USB at all??

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
So at the moment... There's EBOOTs being signed so that you can copy a games data into your interal HDD and run it via the XMB on Geohots firmware... And a firmware has been released that will allow backup managers to work.
Anyone installed the peek/poke firmware?

LocutusEstBorg

No....It seems the only way to get a package running on an unmodified console is to setup a fake PSN store or something like that (which is entirely possible BTW).

And there's nothing called a "backup manager". It's just what the PSJailbreak ISO loader is called and it relies on the peek/poke syscalls which their PSJailbreak exploit added (and GeoHot's original hardware exploit added).

Blackout

Well, guess I'm shitting myself and jumped the gun too quickly. I installed GeoHot's "Jailbreak" PUP, figured it would be harmless but now since this new firmware with piracy enabled is out... lol,

wat do.

Blackout

Well is there anyway to reverting back to vanilla FW? Just tried installing the OFW through mass storage, says the file doesn't apply.

If not I suppose I'm avoiding PSN until then.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Can't you do it through service mode?

Riorio99

I keep reading this, but how do I access the service mode and how safe is the reversal progress?

Blackout

Now it is anyways. Didn't let me the first time, that was weird. It booted me out of Service Mode whenever I tried installing the OFW, but it seems to be installing now.

Anyways, only way Sony can detect the hack is through the CFW correct? Or is my return to OFW just a waste of time?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I don't think anyone knows if the CFW is detectable yet. Which is why people are waiting.

eldiablov

Contributor
If Sony is going to ban anything, it would be a console ban.

PSN accounts are worthless, apart from losing your trophies and friend list.

Yes but with the console access we have I have come to understand that console bans are useless.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Because we could just change whatever identity our Playstation has right?

Like on the xbox, when it gets banned you have to get a new keyvault that has the console id and stuff like that, I'm assuming we can just change it manually.