• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death Penalty

Slasher

Suck It
Yes or No? Do you Agree, or Disagree with it?

Personally, I disagree with it. Despite the fact that some people commit horrible crimes, I don't think that giving them an essentially 'easy way out' should be allowed. They should rot in their cell for as long as humanly possible. People can throw all the statistics they want at me saying each prisoner costs roughly $200,000+ per year, but I say that's a load of horse shit. What could possibly cause a prisoner to cost that much money? I just don't understand. Even tossing in the amount it costs to keep the prisoner supervised shouldn't cost that amount of money. Throwing a meal at him every now and then shouldn't cost that much money. It just sounds ridiculous tbh.

Do you think they should be treated like every other prisoner, or should they be treated like lesser people, with harsher restrictions as well as lesser privileges?

Can you come up with any alternatives to the death penalty?

Express your opinion on the matter, and maybe we can get a decent discussion going on.

Adiuvo

I don't have any sources to back this up, but IIRC the reason why prisoners cost so much is due to their appeals. They go on for a long time, and the lawyers that have to be provided are expensive.

On the actual topic though, I 100% agree with it. Allowing people to live in relative comfort (provided they're behaved) who have committed horrible crimes such as rape should not be allowed. They're expensive, and while they have nothing to look forward to, they do not have to hold a job, and can pretty much just sit and read the whole day, or in some cases watch TV. Having the victim deal with the trauma of what happened while the prisoner doesn't have to worry about anything is wrong to me.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I think they should be put in 'the hole' until they die.
The death penalty is the easy way out and the prisoner should suffer for his actions.

200k a year is still a ridiculous amount of money for a prisoner.

Sullivan

I am glad that texas uses this to the fullest, we don't play around with the death penalty.

040606_mess_tex_hmed_5p.hmedium.jpg

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
I think they should be put in 'the hole' until they die.
The death penalty is the easy way out and the prisoner should suffer for his actions.

200k a year is still a ridiculous amount of money for a prisoner.

Here in California you can get a college education for $20,000 a year. $200,000 a year for a prisoner is horseshit. Fuck you government.

Sullivan

I believe California is believed to have the WORST education system.
But that may just be for the public schools.

ilyace

From my experience just the public schools, if you've got the dinero, you've got your education.

Despite the fact that some people commit horrible crimes, I don't think that giving them an essentially 'easy way out' should be allowed.

I honestly don't know if the death penalty should be considered an 'easy way out'. It could be just me, but I really think that it seems like and easy way out for us...For the guy sitting in the electric chair, I don't think so.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida

That's just the public schools in certain counties. The Cal State system is good, not great, but good, and the UC system use to be compared to the Ivy League but recent policies (ethnic diversity above grades) have knocked it down several pegs.

Sullivan

Obviously they don't care to abide by the US rules, and decide to do something illegal.
So why keep them in prison wasting away.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I agree with the death penalty.

Sure, I think they should stay in prison for the rest of their lives, but since we don't have the money to keep all of them, most end up getting out with reduced time.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Wait, what? Care to elaborate?

This sounds incredibly ignorant.

He wants them to be killed by insurgents. But since the death toll of American soldiers since the invasion of Iraq is equal to just one year or Chicago's murders, it might be a better bet to send them there.

Sullivan

Not only that, they are criminals, most would kill again if they could, why not let them go to war, maybe not make them, but at least have an option to goto war. But it can also be a huge safety risk to let them out in the open, etc.

Vee

It should be done like Iran. No nonsense, if your certain someones done the crime, hang them. Its why Iran has such a low rate of crime.

Playboy

I disagree with the death penalty rule. Many sick minded criminals torture their victims (even small children), and eventually kill them, and these crazy criminals are all given a peaceful, fast death. Why? They should be tortured the same way as a punishment. In some countries, people who steal, would have their hands chopped off, and so on. Those sort of punishments would be much better, rather than allowing these people to just die in like what, one minute? pffft..

Chathurga

Wow a lot of people have this "eye for an eye" thing going down and that's pretty weird if you ask me. A kinda rape and you should get raped vibe going down.

The fact that a governing body can decide to put someone to death in the name of justice is just sick. What a ridiculous punishment.
People have a problem with euthanasia when the person wants to die but suddenly when you commit a crime you forfeit your life and that's cool with everyone?

You forfeit the right to be a part of society, since you knew the rules and broke them hard. Prison is near to the best we can do. Don't kill people, that shit is crazy.

Also lol @ Sullivan.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Wow a lot of people have this "eye for an eye" thing going down and that's pretty weird if you ask me. A kinda rape and you should get raped vibe going down.

[HIGHLIGHT]The fact that a governing body can decide to put someone to death in the name of justice is just sick.[/HIGHLIGHT] What a ridiculous punishment.
People have a problem with euthanasia when the person wants to die but suddenly when you commit a crime you forfeit your life and that's cool with everyone?

You forfeit the right to be a part of society, since you knew the rules and broke them hard. Prison is near to the best we can do. Don't kill people, that shit is crazy.

Also lol @ Sullivan.

It's not really decided by a governing body. Here in the states, the punishment is decided by a jury of your peers, along with guilt.

A few months back I was called for jury duty, as other staff members will recall me talking about backstage. It was my first time having to go down to the courthouse for multiple days and it was a death penalty case I was being questioned about for a possible jury selection.

The case involved a career criminal killing his ex-girlfriend, her current boyfriend, and her 9 year old daughter at 9AM one morning on the street. The potential jurors were given all of the details of the case which consisted of all of the individual murders and we were also told that this would be a Capital Punishment case. Meaning that this guy was already guilty of the crimes, but the defense was going to try and use some insanity plea to get him off, which is why the trial was actual a few years after the events took place.

Being a Capital Punishment case, the jurors were told that there would be two outcomes for the defendant; life in prison with no possibility of release or death.

It was some pretty heavy shit. The guy was even in the courtroom the entire time we were being questions and informed of all of this stuff. Due to the length of the trial, I wouldn't sit on the dury. It would have been close to six months and I couldn't afford to not work for that long and support my family, etc.

After I got back from the first day, I Googled the names in the case and found out some details of the murders. Apparently he just walked up to the three of them and started an argument. Then pulled out a gun and shot the two adults dead. The nine year old ran away and he chased her down for a block and a half and then shot the kid in the face.

I can tell you right now I would have voted to kill him rather than give him life in prison.

It's not a matter of an eye for an eye, some crimes are just heinous enough where the criminal should be removed from the living.