• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death Penalty

Moose

Meta Moose
I see where you're coming from and I do somewhat agree, but in the end I think they should be kept alive as it is more often than not a more harsher punishment for them in the end.

Well not necessarily. The people who commit huge offences such as serial killing or war crimes will more than likely be content with what they have done and so will not feel 'pain' by being punished for doing this (at least, not if the punishment is being put in prison).

Death is a cold punishment, but in a way it isn't actually a punishment. They aren't tortured to death, rather they don't feel a thing. Is this really being punished? In my opinion no, because they are not alive afterwards to experience their death. In effect they actually have no experience of being punished. So what's the use?

In the end, the only reason there is to kill someone for their crimes is to fullfill personal 'satisfaction', if you can call it that.

Moose

Meta Moose
Well lets see.. what if they break out? what if they have ties to the outside? iirc they are still allowed to communicate with the outside world. what if they are able to call shots from behind bars? order more murders? and why should my money help to keep the scum of the earth alive.

Then they are not treated like animals at all, are they?

In my opinion, killing something is more barbaric than sticking them it a cage where they have communication with the world/friends/family/etc.

There's no real reson for having to kill a criminal if you can setup a decent prison system. It's just a method of saving money for the government so they can waste it on more bureaucracy.

eighty4

Putting someone on death row is more of punishing the family for one's wrong doing opposed to punished the evil doer.

Triklops

The funniest part of this is, you may deny it all you want but all those in support of death penalty will have an almost immediate switch of opinion when the person receiving the death penalty is someone close to them. One mans food is almost always another mans poison. Yes there are vile murderers, rapists, serial killers but there are also people who get framed, women who lie and in some cases circumstances harsh enough to turn individuals schizophrenic.

Its so in our nature to stereotype anything we don't understand or matters which are painful to probe into cognitively, especially people like criminals and convicts, that we tend to totally overlook the salient rule that every person is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Having said that, the judicial systems of the modern world aren't also without their own little ambiguities. To best understand my prospect I recommend you read the short story Circumstantial Evidence by Edgar Wallace if you can.

Death penalties in my opinion are our way of forced cure without even attempt at prevention. We tend to dispose of anything we detest and fear in hopes of hiding it and wishing for it to go away, but it never does and comes back to haunt us every now and then.
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind - Gandhi.

Whisper

Logic :(
Whatever happened to paying for a crime with your skin? If you cause suffering to others intentionally then shouldn't you suffer the same fate plus time in jail? Do something wrong as a kid you got spanked and then a time out, guess what you never did again? I do not mean torture but rather a little more physical system.

I don't see how sitting in prison for 40 years makes someone sorry. Or how that makes up for killing someone.

TeamOverload

Was actually curious to see people's thoughts on this situation, but it appears we already have a thread for it. Not sure if anyone still has anything to add, but I was curious, especially living in Connecticut, with the Cheshire home invasion trial front and center in the news as of late.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
My wife always asks if I locked the doors when coming to bed because of all of the coverage on that case.

TeamOverload

I believe in locking doors, but I honestly don't think it's really a deterrent. If someone wants to break in, they'll break in, with or without a locked door.

Riorio99

Completely disagree. Ending a human life is never a good option. Even then, there is always the chance that they are innocent.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Killing makes you as bad as the criminal, in most cases.

BlackSheep

I believe in locking doors, but I honestly don't think it's really a deterrent. If someone wants to break in, they'll break in, with or without a locked door.

Not really
When some homie went inside my house he went through the door which always use too be open before that
I was watching some show and they said a dog is a better deterrent than a alarm,

Robby

Los Doyers!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_Lewis

What's your guy's thoughts on this?
I've read her IQ was 2 points lower then Forest Gump.

The 2 people she hired to do the killings go life in prison, while she got the death penalty for being the "mastermind".

Deathrow

That's just the public schools in certain counties. The Cal State system is good, not great, but good, and the UC system use to be compared to the Ivy League but recent policies (ethnic diversity above grades) have knocked it down several pegs.

And we can't really do much about but protest. I'm from California too (Bay Area) and I go to CSU Chico. From my experience for only 2 years I can tell you that it has becoming worse and worse. Budget cuts really hinder our learning experience and have created furlough days that could be used to aid our learning experience. Cali does not have a lot of money and every time these damn lobbyists ask Arnold for money for WHATEVER RIDICULOUS projects, he quickly replies, "Fuck you, we have no money" lol.

However, Arnold did make a statement to allocate the prisons fund money and direct it towards students and faculty alike. Were just waiting for Arnold to proceed through this acquisition now.

@Topic, Yes I believe in the Death Penalty simply because it deters crime.

Slasher

Suck It
@Topic, Yes I believe in the Death Penalty simply because it deters crime.

But the death penalty doesn't deter crime.

In fact, it's almost unanimous among Criminologists that capital punishment actually leads to more crime.

"In short, the consensus among criminologists is that the death penalty
does not add any significant deterrent effect above that of long-term
imprisonment."
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/files/DeterrenceStudy2009.pdf

Deathrow

I beg to differ. I understand that website you used is a legitimate Death Penalty site that tracks cases, dead and deceased, criminals, stories, and of course a lot death penalty records. However, in my own opinion, I think that it can be "stretched" when comprehending some of the facts. Here's where I think some of the studies are flawed.

I believe that the Death Penalty can deter some crime, not all. When a person is put on death row, or imprisoned for life, that criminal cannot be allowed to be put back on the streets. This is how crime is deterred because it does not give that person a second and above chances to commit crime.

I also believe that the Death Penalty studies are factored by questions based on inmates of random sampling can create a %error based on not answering those questions either a) truthfully or b) not caring at all.

In addition, I also believe that the Death Penalty can be instated to go against people who might commit crime but will refrain so in spite of fear of death or imprisonment. This is also known as Thanatophobia, or the fear of death. (This theory may be a bit extreme and unreasonable, but it might prove a few cases in the future).

These are just some of the things I believe why crime is deterred if the death penalty is instated, and also completely agree to Standford Law's (2005) Uses and Abuses of Empirical Evidence in the Death Penalty Debate and how it was reached that evidence can't claim if the death penalty causes more murder or less.

Adiuvo

When a person commits a crime I very much doubt they are fearing death, especially in violent crimes where a victim may fight back.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Life in prison seems like more of a deterrent than the death penalty simply because it forces a criminal to live with the psychological toll of their actions.