• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Golden mean of influence

Just something I started thinking about a few months back. I don't know my stance, and I'm curious as to what all of your positions on this might be. Anyways, here's my thoughts.

If you let all sources influence you, then you're easily manipulable. However, if you reject all sources of influence, you're closed minded.

So then, where is the middle ground for influence and how do you regulate what influences you and what doesn't? Is it simply that influence occurs when logic and reasoning are presented, or is it something beyond that?

For me, I have no idea how or why I determine what influences me and what doesn't.

Adiuvo

This dives into the realm of bias and why people make decisions. I'd say everyone is influenced more than they would like to believe they are, and there's not much a person can do about that. There is no golden mean in that case. Being truly and completely center wouldn't be a good thing either. Not all sides have good ideas but if you're in the perfect center of whatever ideological measurement you want to use you acknowledge that all points have some truth to them. This obviously isn't the case.