• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Retro [The MfM Analysis] Remake Wishlist

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
In this article, I'm going to dive into 7 games that I'd like to see re-made nowadays. Take into consideration that a game's number doesn't mean it should be remade

Again, this is my opinion and it's worth what it is - the opinion of one man.

[fieldset="1. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)"]The only Final Fantasy game on my list isn't VII, VIII or IX: It's Final Fantasy VI. I played this game very late in my life - after I had played VII, VIII and IX - but it's outdated graphics and midi soundtrack didn't put me off from having one of the best RPG experiences in my life. First off, the cast was epic: fourteen well thought up party members that sometimes made it tough to have to opt for only for of them and two villains the game really made you hate. Second, the plot was very very good and kept you guessing about what was really going on until Kefka revealed his true intentions - also I loved the fact that even Summons had their part in the plot (a significant one) that made them more than an extra powerful magical asset. Lastly, the score was awesome considering what was possible at the time. As always Mr. Uematsu was spot on with his soundtrack.

And no. The Gameboy Advance port doesn't count. After seeing Terra in Dissidia: Final Fantasy, all of us know there is a spot for her and her pals in 3D.

Remake Necessity Level: Normal[/fieldset]

[fieldset="2. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System/Game Gear)"]Why? I really don't know... Maybe because it's the very first RPG I ever played and looking back at it now, it was a different RPG from the norm (which would be the positive). It was a platformer game much like Sonic and others in which a boy was tasked by himself to lift off a curse thrown on him by an evil dragon (that you defeat in the first 5 min of the game). After being turned himself into a dragon (duh?) the boy embarks on the said quest to slay dragons and search for a cure. He gets transformed into all types of creatues on the way including a mice, and all those forms unlocked certain zones of the game (using special powers) where you had to proceed in search of the dragons. Also, like all RPG's you could use magic powers and change your equipment - but you had no party, and there was no fancy battle animations (like the FF series). It was more of a Zelda-type game. Also it had puzzles. RPG + Puzzler + Platformer = Epic Win.
Sadly this game went largely underlooked at the time and died without the fame it so deserved. This game is a true retro gem.

Remake Necessity Level: Urgent[/fieldset]

[fieldset="3. Space Harrier (Game Gear/Mega Drive and a whole bunch of them. All retro.)"]This game was totally awesome! On my Game Gear this was THE shooter to have... It was frantic, it was mean, it was fun. What else do you need? There was no story, your objective was to outlast the game with the lives you were given, which was damn hard. Even on the easiest gameplay mode. A true console/controller breaker, and you have to love those games.

Remake Necessity Level: Very High[/fieldset]

[fieldset="4. The Original Megami Tensei (NES)"] Now that all the Shin Megami Tensei games have become a fairly well established series, it is about time the fans - new and old - get a reward for their dedication and let us all re-live the original game since it got no US localization at the time.
Of course such a remake should also make way for some re-tweaks in the game engine because first-person dungeon crawling isn't that fun anymore, even if nostalgic in a good way.
I tried playing a fan-translated version but I couldn't understand squat of what was going on... Just that I was running around a dungeon.

Remake Necessity Level: High[/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="5. Haunting feat. Polterguy (Mega Drive)"] This game was so fun. I spent hours playing it but unfortunately I can't remember finishing it. In this game you must scare the pants off a poor family that happens to live where you - the player - appears. You must possess the items in the house to scare its inhabitants but you must avoid the dog at all costs as he is the only one who can detected you.
This game would be perfect for a remake as a casual game. Its gameplay is easy to grasp and since there is little story, it's very good to play on sporadic occasions.

Remake Necessity Level: Normal[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="6. Streets of Rage"]
Epic.Game. This little side-scrolling beat 'em up is a blast from the past that everyone should play at least one. I had so much fun with my friends on this game's co-op mode: twice the players, twice difficultty, twice the fun.
Sadly another IP dropped by Sega. This would be one of these game which I'd be more into a HD 2D Remix than a 3D remake. Keeping the magic in these kinda classics is always important.

Remake Necessity Level: Very High[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="7. Altered Beast"]Give me a 3D remake of this game. NOW! With the 3D effects machines are capable nowadays I can just imagine the player changing into their beast forms. Awesome.
Anyways, another side-scrolling beat 'em up, Altered Beast was fun in both single-player and co-op. Fits perfectly into what a game should be, just fun.

Remake Necessity Level: Normal[/FIELDSET]

As always, all feedback is welcome :D

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Seems like all 8/16bit Sega games are mentioned there

One game I would love a HD remix of is Ninja Gaiden on the NES.
Great game.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Seems like all 8/16bit Sega games are mentioned there

One game I would love a HD remix of is Ninja Gaiden on the NES.
Great game.

It's all games I've played and I can say something about. I'm not going to fake knowledge about games I never played ;)

a few screenshots couldn't hurt :)

I may reply to this late with my own list ;)

Looking forward to it :D

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It's all games I've played and I can say something about. I'm not going to fake knowledge about games I never played ;)

Looking forward to it :D

Fair enough xD
I'd want a HD remix as well of the first 4 Sonic games.
Hell, Sonic 3 + Knuckles in HD would be epic.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Adiuvo

Final Fantasy VI is in dire need of a remake. The fan base is definitely large enough and having Kefka and Terra fleshed out more would be quite nice, especially if they use their same voice actors as in Dissidia.

Golden Sun would also be nice to get a remake out of. It's not old, but it is quite a good game and seeing it in 3D would be quite nice.

Hellcat

Contributor
"Giana Sisters" got an awesome remake on the DS :)

And if I'll ever get good enough, I might try a remake of "Turrican" :D

(for the unknowings: both are Amiga / C64 games)

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I'd have to agree with Zero. An OOT remake would be awesome. I'd also like to see a Sonic Adventure 2 remake (or sequel). That was probably the best sonic game ever. If they tweaked the graphics, extended the story a little and level out the multiplayer modes, the game would be epic on next gen.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'd like to see a Mega Man 2 remake with HD sprites. That goes for any Castlevania title as well. Probably a fat chance of it happening, though, seeing as it would be very expensive to develop from an artistic standpoint and the monetary return wouldn't be as great as a 3D title.

Riorio99

Chrono Cross. It's a seriously good game. What with the interest in Chrono Trigger since the re-release on the DS, now is the perfect time. Do for the next gen machines, with suped up graphics and maybe fill in some more back story details, and you'll have a classic on your hand there and then.

Aside from that, I have to agree with FF6, easily my favourite FF game, I would love to play it in the same style as the 3 and 4 remakes on the DS.

Also, remakes of Mario 1, 3, and World on the New Super Mario Bros. Engine. That would be awesome.

Colm

1. Metal Gear Solid.
Come on guys, it's nearly finished! MGS4 pretty much set everything up for a possible remake. Nearly every single inch of the environment has been reconstructed. Throw in the original voice actors, script the game events, and orchestrate the new music. Job done, no?

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
3. Star Fox 64
OK, if you're wondering why I've put these two games together it's because they're both N64 classics that captivated audiences throughout the world. However, this being a review wishlist, I've decided to put a twist to this idea: They can't be remade for the Wii.
Why do I say this? Well, because the Wii has had a fairly bad lifespan. The classics hold up well but I feel that with much better technology out there, it just wouldn't do the games justice to put them on the wii. Fans are already trying to make the best of this idea. A brand new fan-made Star Fox game is being made for PC, and chances are someone, somewhere has had the same idea for Ocarina of Time.

4. Burnout 3.
IT'S BURNOUT 3.
Known for being awesome in four player split-screen with some highly memorable tracks and cars, the Burnout series looks well in-line for a "HD remix" style reboot. The most recent Burnout game, Paradise, has not failed to impress but lacks some of the charm and excellence Burnout 3 had. A remake of this game is urgently needed.
(in the meantime, play Wipeout HD so you can see how a HD remake of a racing game is done)

5. GoldenEye.
Perhaps I can't quite emphasise just how important GoldenEye was.
It made multiplayer gaming. End of. It wasn't the first game to have it but it certainly was the first game to nearly PERFECT it.
That's why I think that GoldenEye is the perfect candidate for a remake with full online functions, custom map support and *cough* dedicated servers *cough*. Single player... it really doesn't matter. Although it was quite good...

6. Age of Empires 2
Why does an RTS game need a remake?
This is a game I hesitated about putting on the list. It doesn't really make much sense. It's an RTS game that doesn't really need a remake in the sense that all of its features have been left intact by the test of time. It holds up. Amazingly well.
I do however, have my reasons. Graphical enhancement, online play (the servers got discontinued ages ago :( ), and maybe some new features are what this game needs. But, if you've got a netbook lying around and you want to try out an old game that aged fantastically, take AoE2 for another chances. You won't regret it.

7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Yes. You heard me.
Vice City was the high point in the GTA series in a number of ways. It was fun to play, it had a great atmosphere, it had a great series of missions etc. etc.
Yet, now we have GTA4 staring us in the face. It's a technical marvel but it just simply isn't quite as fun. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and the storyline is unparalleled in most games this gen, but GTA:VC beats it.
So, what do you do? You rebuild. Take Miami from the ground up, bring back the characters we've loved, add new gameplay elements, and shape it into what exists between the amazing gameplay of VC and the amazing technology of 4. Then, we'd have something that the hype surrounding the GTA name can actually live up to.

Bran

Yell
Chrono Cross. It's a seriously good game. What with the interest in Chrono Trigger since the re-release on the DS, now is the perfect time. Do for the next gen machines, with suped up graphics and maybe fill in some more back story details, and you'll have a classic on your hand there and then.

Aside from that, I have to agree with FF6, easily my favourite FF game, I would love to play it in the same style as the 3 and 4 remakes on the DS.

Also, remakes of Mario 1, 3, and World on the New Super Mario Bros. Engine. That would be awesome.

I'd hope for development of Chrono Break to start back up rather than have a Remake of Chrono Cross. Chorno Cross' graphics still stand up today I think. Not quite as good as Vagrant Story's graphics with it's awesome forced rim lighting, but a lot more colourful.

However, if people showed interest in the remake of Chrono Cross (or even a re-release) it might spur further development of Chrono Break.

At least that's the same theory I had in purchasing FF7 Soul Reaver and Blood Omen on the PSN.

Which brings me to wanting remakes of Blood Omen and Soul Reaver. But I'd still probably rather have Legacy of Kain 6.

z2442

resident evil 2 and startropics for the nes lol

Bill

The only game I'm interested in having remade is the best RPG ever (no, NOT FF7, you nubs), which I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: Xenogears.

If anything, IMO, this game is the most deserving of a remake. It's great, but still has potential for improvement (second disc?). But it'll more than likely never happen.