• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi [The MFM Analysis] Serial Killers

eldiablov

Contributor
260txz5.png

[fieldset="Serial Killers"]
Read the featured reviews and journey with me as we explore the game series that, in their infancy were the best of their genre. However, as a result of varying factors they have been slowly degraded over time by companies who continue to seek financial gain by destroying memories of names that we once held dear.

We will explore each franchise individually based on the main aspects that have been affected and degraded over time whether it be through gameplay, story, sound or graphics. Games that are set to be included in this editorial are: Prince Of Persia, Rayman, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot (although more may be added in the near future). The possible motives for developers doing the above series such an injustice in their later installments will also be explored as we delve into the psychee of the lead developers.

Because I'm writing these I'll give you some background as to how I started gaming. I began gaming through an Atari 2600 clone and quickly moved on to the PS1. I played games that were enjoyed by the masses such as Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Rayman and Spyro, a variety of games that were all brilliant in their own ways and continue to have sequels on newer consoles.

As technology has grown alongside developer's budgets there is a considerately higher amount of pressure to meet deadlines and maintaining graphical quality is now a key priority as it is sadly seen as the most important component of success in this generation. All of this will be discussed and more in the upcoming 'Serial Killer' editorial, I hope you look forward to it.

Finally, during the writing of these articles if anybody can think of the name of another series that you believe has been killed off by careless development or anything else then feel free to PM me and i'll be sure to investigate and perhaps write an article on it.

You can expect my first article by the end of the week which will cover the once excellent Spyro series.[/fieldset]

[fieldset="Articles featured"][fieldset="Spyro"]For those that aren't aware, Spyro is a platformer/adventure game originally developed by Insomniac Games and originally published Universal Interactive Studios. The first installment, Spyro The Dragon was released on the PS1 in 1998.

There have been many games that have been released in this series and the publishers and developers have changed hands many times. For this article I will cover the game on main consoles.

Console: Playstation 1

Spyro The Dragon
Developer: Insomniac Games
Publisher: Universal Interactive
Average review score: 85.42%

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!
Average review score:86.57%

Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Average review score:90.59%

Console: Playstation 2

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
Developer: Equinox Digital Entertainment, Check Six Studios
Average review score: 54.94%

Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Developer: Eurocom
Publisher: Vivendi Universal Games
Average review score: 65.76%

The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
Developer: Krome Studios
Publisher: Sierra Entertainment
Average review score: 63.18%

The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
Developer: Krome Studios and Big Ant Studios
Publisher: Sierra Entertainment
Average review score: 58.71%

Console: 360

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
Developer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Étranges_Libellules

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Very nice :D +rep

Looking forward to the next :p

eldiablov

Contributor
Thanks for the kind words guys, I have decided that I will be putting everything into this one thread. As such it will be under construction for most of today as I plan the layout for my next article.

spitfireuk

FRAGSTATIC!!
GO MAN GO!! This is great and going to be an exciting read aswell. Might i also add a suggestion: the Crash Bandicoot Series

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Man, Spyro was one of my favorite games of all time. That and Pokemon Silver/Gold. I wouldn't be able to play it nowadays because I'd get bored, but by God it was fun when I was like 7.

Nice post.

eldiablov

Contributor
Added all the versions of Spyro on the home consoles and have displayed their average review scores. Make of that what you will while I finish my article.

Adiuvo

Great idea Eldiablov. Hopefully we'll be able to get these on the front page if you want, in an actual timely fashion.

Adiuvo

Good, we really need more editorials on MFM. These would definitely make a welcome addition.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Good, we really need more editorials on MFM. These would definitely make a welcome addition.

Mmm... Sounds interesting... Maybe I should do mine more often..

Adiuvo

It would be open to you as well, and anyone really. If you want something posted on the front page and it's an editorial, feel free to PM a staff member.

eldiablov

Contributor
Spyro analysis is up. I wrote this fairly quickly so it would be nice to get some feedback. Did I cover enough? Did I write about the right things?

Please get back to me with your comments. :)

Next articles are on Prince of Persia and Crash Bandicoot.

spitfireuk

FRAGSTATIC!!
you did overlook one spyro game that was on the GBA but i forgot what it was called and even the year of it

like the nice touch at the end with possibility of recovery

eldiablov

Contributor
you did overlook one spyro game that was on the GBA but i forgot what it was called and even the year of it

like the nice touch at the end with possibility of recovery

I only covered the home consoles intentionally. There were too many portable games to cover and it didn't make much sense to include them.