• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[The MfM Analysis] The PSP Homebrew Scene

Adultery

That's because most of the kids today don't have an "honest" opinion. :)

Thanks for the article, it was a great read. I would love to see like a wiki-type site that documents all the homebrew (and sources where available), cfw, and information. That would be a great idea. Users could even contribute to help build it from the bottom up... Kinda like the Wiibrew site. It would really be a great thing.. If only I knew how to do it myself, I would!!!

I've been a lurker of sorts since I bought my PSP on launch day. I'll never forget the awesome feeling I had when I first saw that youtube video of Zelda running on a modded PSP... I still have my copies of Lumines and GTA that unlocked them, and I still have the first NES emulator I ever used! Man, I was so fascinated by the whole thing, right down to the KXploited eboots! Those were good tiimes, they were. I remember customizing my first eboot with an at0 that took me forever to figure out how to encode... How many Red Bulls I drank when I was sitting up and manually creating cheat files for UMDs once CWCheat hit the scene... And my first official brick that couldn't be recovered (flashing some VSH stuff was what did me in)... Or how when Pandora came out I all of the sudden had three 'new' PSPs! Haha! As a matter of fact, I still get that feeling everytime Bubbletune updates his Game Categories plugin or Schmilk ups a new ctf!

Well enough of that... Just thanks for the trip down memory lane, and I look forward to reading more of your "articles". :)

Colm

A while back I found my PSP's old 1gb Memory Card, which had:
Probably the closest thing in the world to a complete collection of MaDSouL's tracks.
Attack of the Mutants!
HexAxis XXI, which I'm surprised isn't on the Minis store or UMD yet
Devhook
SNES9xTYL
Some really old Daedalus build that was nowhere near playable
The GBA emulator, whatever it was called
and burnoutlegends.iso, which I swear was a backup.

I miss the 2.71 SE era :(

Select

Good ol' times. lol.

The scene is, indeed, dead. We should move on. Maybe wait for the PSP2.
Its sad, but true. Get over it.

Good read, thanks. I'm looking forward to more articles from you.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Thank you :p

I'm publishing a few new articles this month. Keep an eye out for them.

Slasher

Suck It
While the scene isn't as great as it once used to be, it certainly isn't "dead".

"all releases in homebrew scene are related to running ISO format games without having to update your PSP." Is an incredibly ignorant and over exaggerated statement to make ;)

A pessimist may see the scene as being dead (which I know you've belligerently said over and over again), whereas I see the scene as merely being not as many people involved. Claiming that all people involved with the scene are nothing but pirates and out to grab ISO's is nothing but a false pretense.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
While the scene isn't as great as it once used to be, it certainly isn't "dead".

"all releases in homebrew scene are related to running ISO format games without having to update your PSP." Is an incredibly ignorant and over exaggerated statement to make ;)

A pessimist may see the scene as being dead (which I know you've belligerently said over and over again), whereas I see the scene as merely being not as many people involved. Claiming that all people involved with the scene are nothing but pirates and out to grab ISO's is nothing but a false pretense.

I'll agree but disagree if I may, Slasher.

By the time I wrote this there was nothing going on in the scene besides the war between Xenogears/Becus and Team GEN. Leading me to say the scene was dead.

BUT, even if it's not dead, it's steadily declining in activity. There have been some steady nice releases: GameCategories, OneMangaPSP, DaedalusX64, among others. While I wish the scene were more active, I'm glad to see there are some good devs like you and others, I also have to admit there's not much more to be done right now in the scene.

Deathrow

What I believe is that the scene is drying up rather than using the term "dead"
I think were all just waiting for the switch from 5.xx to 6.xx and these things take time to develop. Its not like we find a exploit everyday or solve the greatest psp secrets over night. Patience is key in the here and were reluctant to have a few lingering members to stand by and capitalize on all things that are contributing.

Then again, this is mere speculation....

Atnas

Nice article, was a good read. Mixed feelings about the comments being posted. The scene is rather slow lately, but I must say even Sony is in a bit of a transitional point with PSP, but it's only a matter of time before the homebrew scene catches up. No?

Also after reading more into the topic from other sources. It staggers me to see how many ppl believe the scene is really "dead". Someone out there has got to be motivated from reading all the nay-sayers' posts. To many times in the past has progress come from the words "It can't be done"

karnbmx

ceebs. :)
This was motivated by the surgence of a thread here at MfM during the day.

Was that my thread? If so, I feel very privileged! :)

Thanks for taking up my thread and building it into something as big as this!