• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The NEW Xbox360 Homebrew Scene and YOU

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
You can now pirate Xbox Live Arcade games.

More info later as I'm just leaving for school.

EDIT: Its not a big surprise this happened, considering the full game is included in the demo, you just need to activate it. Apparently it was just a bit of hex editing, but now 2 tools have been released to crack them.

Hellcat

Contributor
Meh....

How about homebrew? Is there a SDK or something? You can run that via this too, then, yes?

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
You use the official Xbox Developers Kit. :D:D You can find that on your local warez site.

The only sad part is, the homebrew is illegal to distribute as of now because it uses unsigned copyrighted Microsoft files.

EDIT: There might be something like the original Xbox alternative, OpenXDK.

explosions

Is that as detectable as iXtreme?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Doing this is more easily detectable then ixtreme.

It is advised you do this on a banned console or one that you don't care about online.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Doing this is more easily detectable then ixtreme.

It is advised you do this on a banned console or one that you don't care about online.
If you still haven't done the Summer update, I doubt you care about online

WalangAlam

I'm planning to buy an XBOX360. brandnew or second hand.

Since Im not familiar with XBOX360, here are my noob questions:

1. So can i buy an extenal HDD (for PC) and i can put my ISO/Homebrews in my extenal HDD and run them from there? If I have xbox360 hdd, could i run my iso/homebrews from there?

2. Are there any softmod that doesn't require soldering and/or chips than i can use to modify unmodded xbox360?

3. What will I buy brandnew or secondhand? If I will buy brandnew what should i look into so i could have homebrews/isos

4. What are Jasper, Falcon, etc.? which is better in terms of homebrews/isos

5. I could install Linux on it right?

6. What emulators are available for this console?

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
I'm planning to buy an XBOX360. brandnew or second hand.

Since Im not familiar with XBOX360, here are my noob questions:

1. So can i buy an extenal HDD (for PC) and i can put my ISO/Homebrews in my extenal HDD and run them from there? If I have xbox360 hdd, could i run my iso/homebrews from there?

2. Are there any softmod that doesn't require soldering and/or chips than i can use to modify unmodded xbox360?

3. What will I buy brandnew or secondhand? If I will buy brandnew what should i look into so i could have homebrews/isos

4. What are Jasper, Falcon, etc.? which is better in terms of homebrews/isos

5. I could install Linux on it right?

6. What emulators are available for this console?

Good questions, glad you are interested.
1) As far as I know, you can only run isos on an external hdd through xexloader. I'm not sure though. I know you can run homebrew and full arcade games on the Xbox hdd so I don't think it would be too hard to run an iso. I will be doing a lot of testing tonight (I'm dumping my nand right now!) :D

2) Unfortunately not. It will probably never happen (never say never?). Although this was my first time soldering and with a second person there to help hold the board and everything it was at least 10x easier then I thought. Perhaps in the near future, people will sell "modding kits" with the LPT cable and JTAG wires all preped and ready to be soldered. getting them ready was probably the hardest part.

Also, if you just want to mod the dvd drive (run isos), it doesn't require soldering. All you have to do is hook your dvd drive up to your computer.

3) If you go out and buy a new one without doing some research, you will probably get an unmoddable one. I think it has to have been manufactured before July, 2009, which the Pro Models are. So if you get one of those, you should be good. I just bought one but I haven't turned it on yet to see the kernel version. I will let you know. Also, you can't mod it after you connect to Xbox Live and do all their updates. ( kernel 89xx ).

4) Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus and Jasper are the Xbox 360 motherboard revisions in order of their manufactured date. They are all equally good, although Jaspers have more memory in some models and aren't compatible with the latest XBReboot, but are vulnerable. Its just a matter of time before it gets ported. The reason is because it has a 256mb or 512mb nand instead of 16 or something like that.

5) Yes, but it sucks and you need multiple nands if you want to boot into the dashboard still. Future methods with the large Jaspers may be able to dual boot. Its almost as bad as the ps3 Linux support.

6) SNES, GENESIS, MAME, and CPS3 at the moment. Keep in mind the scene just started.

Hope I helped! I will post videos of my Xbox running XeLL tonight or tomorrow.

Flashed XeLL and played SNES for a while! Then I tried to install XBReboot and got the Christmas Lights of Doom! So, now I'm just trying to flash a couple different ways. Fingers crossed.

WalangAlam

1) As far as I know, you can only run isos on an external hdd through xexloader. I'm not sure though. I know you can run homebrew and full arcade games on the Xbox hdd so I don't think it would be too hard to run an iso. I will be doing a lot of testing tonight (I'm dumping my nand right now!) :D

2) Unfortunately not. It will probably never happen (never say never?). Although this was my first time soldering and with a second person there to help hold the board and everything it was at least 10x easier then I thought. Perhaps in the near future, people will sell "modding kits" with the LPT cable and JTAG wires all preped and ready to be soldered. getting them ready was probably the hardest part.

Also, if you just want to mod the dvd drive (run isos), it doesn't require soldering. All you have to do is hook your dvd drive up to your computer.

3) If you go out and buy a new one without doing some research, you will probably get an unmoddable one. I think it has to have been manufactured before July, 2009, which the Pro Models are. So if you get one of those, you should be good. I just bought one but I haven't turned it on yet to see the kernel version. I will let you know. Also, you can't mod it after you connect to Xbox Live and do all their updates. ( kernel 89xx ).

4) Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus and Jasper are the Xbox 360 motherboard revisions in order of their manufactured date. They are all equally good, although Jaspers have more memory in some models and aren't compatible with the latest XBReboot, but are vulnerable. Its just a matter of time before it gets ported. The reason is because it has a 256mb or 512mb nand instead of 16 or something like that.

5) Yes, but it sucks and you need multiple nands if you want to boot into the dashboard still. Future methods with the large Jaspers may be able to dual boot. Its almost as bad as the ps3 Linux support.

6) SNES, GENESIS, MAME, and CPS3 at the moment. Keep in mind the scene just started.

Hope I helped! I will post videos of my Xbox running XeLL tonight or tomorrow.

Flashed XeLL and played SNES for a while! Then I tried to install XBReboot and got the Christmas Lights of Doom! So, now I'm just trying to flash a couple different ways. Fingers crossed.

thank you that was very informative. what's the difference in hardware hardware/software of xbox360 manufactured before and after July 2009? why is it not doable anymore in post july 2009 xbox360? if i'm gonna buy a new one, how will i know that it was manufactured before July 2009? Is it indicated in the box? Where should I look? I could ask the saleslady about the manufacturing date but sometimes they are not that knowledgeable will sometimes tell you anything just to sell it to you.:huh:

James.

User Not Found
175w.jpg

On the box like this, you can find the lot number.
Xbox 360 DVD Drive Database
That website has a list of many 360s
Im not sure about now, but my 360 (~2006) had a flap on the top of the cardboard box that - when lifted - showed the manufactured date and serial number.

WalangAlam

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/frozenfire1/175w.jpg[/qimg]
On the box like this, you can find the lot number.
Xbox 360 DVD Drive Database
That website has a list of many 360s
Im not sure about now, but my 360 (~2006) had a flap on the top of the cardboard box that - when lifted - showed the manufactured date and serial number.

thanks.

will this void my warranty if i mod the dvd drive?

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
thanks.

will this void my warranty if i mod the dvd drive?

Technically yes. But if you don't get banned, take the warranty sticker off with a hairdryer (look up tutorials) and are careful opening your 360, Microsoft won't have a clue that they are fixing a modded Xbox :p

Yay! I got XBReboot working! 12 hours later :p. Videos posted this weekend of me being awesome. I still have this dvd problem though. Hopefully someone on Xboxhacker will give me an answer by tomorrow morning.

WalangAlam

Technically yes. But if you don't get banned, take the warranty sticker off with a hairdryer (look up tutorials) and are careful opening your 360, Microsoft won't have a clue that they are fixing a modded Xbox :p

Yay! I got XBReboot working! 12 hours later :p. Videos posted this weekend of me being awesome. I still have this dvd problem though. Hopefully someone on Xboxhacker will give me an answer by tomorrow morning.

thanks. i should practice using that hair dryer:eek:

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

is it moddable if the manufacturing date is june 2009?