• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP The PSP Scene...slowly fading away?

Anyone here think the PSP Scene is slowly rotting away? I remember in 2007, we seemed to get homebrews and PSP themes like crazy. Now I see less stuff released and the homebrew forums seem a little quiter concerning PSP then they used to be.

Does anyone else think the PSP's "time" has come?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Alright, people were saying this several months ago, which I agreed with at the time but the rumors of the PSP-4000/2 have brought life back into it. As far as the homebrew scene goes it is fading away, the retail scene is a different story however with some great game announcements recently

Vee

Suprisingly, i think this year will actually be a great one for the PSP. Sony are putting alot of effort in with it. Though, PSP has been pretty dry recently. My PSP's still on 3.04 OE.

Adiuvo

The PSP has been dead homebrew wise for quite a long time now. Releases aren't made as often, people aren't making tons of themes, etc.. Most have moved onto different platforms, such as the iPhone.

FrozenIpaq said:
As far as the homebrew scene goes it is fading away, the retail scene is a different story however with some great game announcements recently

I'd rather have QJ.Net fade away in place of the PSP Homebrew Scene. :laugh:

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
The problem is that pretty much every homebrew possible has been created by now

Adiuvo

There's still games. The PSP homebrew scene was never big on them, just applications. For instance, everyone thought it would be absolutely wonderful to make a flasher application.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Nobody uses the PSP just for homebrew anymore tbh. The homebrew scene is pretty much dead and has been for a while.

I say the scene was alive in 2008, but the decay of the scene has began and increased a lot dramatically in 2009.

I say we are the in a "homebrew recession".

So what do you guys think will bring back the scene to its former glory?

Adiuvo

Only a new PSP will reinvigorate the scene. The 'new' PSPs are just rehashes of the same model. Nothing more can really be done with them.

eldiablov said:
I think seeing the PSP-3000 hacked could freshen things up a bit.

uhh.. its ok, but it is just a blockade to delay the scene's evantual downfall. (Sorry for the negativity, just an observation due to the lack of activity in the scene that has been happening over a long period of time.)

El Diablo

I know I personally got out of it a while ago, and even as I was leaving it, it had slowed down a lot. My current FW on my PSP (just found it yesterday) is 3.40 OE-A...I don't know how good or current that is compared to the newer ones, but other than the new FWs, I have not seen many changes to the PSP homebrew scene since I left it. Plus, how much more can they have added into the custom FWs that they didn't already have?

I use 3.40 OE-A also, but via TimeMachine.

My current firmware is 3.52 M33-4.

I honestly see barely any reasons to Update my PSP.

Also, I noticed a lot of people stll use 3.40 OE-A. Wierd.

El Diablo

I only use it because it was the last time I touched my PSP when I put it on, and if I ever want to use my psp again, it gets the job done. I looked into updating it but like...to update to those new m33 firmwares you need other m33 firmwares and to update to those you need a specific m33 firmware, or pandoras battery and other shit...it's just not worth the trouble, especially if they don't even give you anything new.

I remember seeing something where custom themes and some other things didn't work with the newer m33 firmwares...just seemed to me like they took out more than they put in.

They did make new themes for the M33 firmwares.

Also, about the Pandora's Battery: it installs M33 very easily to those who can't downgrade to 1.50 and upadte to CFW from Version 1.50. (Example: PSP Slim users)

@ El Diablo, if you don't want to update, Then use the programTimeMachine (the successor to Devhook) to "test" higher firmwares like 4.01 M33-2 and 5.00 M33-4.

El Diablo

Eh, it doesn't matter to me too much since I don't really touch my PSP anymore

I wish I can sell my PSP-1001 to get a slim but I got this baby as a graduation gift...so I don't want my mom upset because she work hard for it.