• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP The PSP Scene...slowly fading away?

johncena

At the end of the day....its the games that made us get a PSP. the homebrew was just icing on the cake....but without people buying the games, publishers stop putting games on the shelves. therefore leaving us with only icing without the cake....

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
At the end of the day....its the games that made us get a PSP. the homebrew was just icing on the cake....but without people buying the games, publishers stop putting games on the shelves. therefore leaving us with only icing without the cake....

To be honest, I was the opposite of what you described. It was the homebrew possibilities that made me get a PSP in the first place. The thought of playing old console emulators on it is what drove my decision to get one.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I didn't get a PSP for games, becuase during the US Launch I couldn't afford games and there were slim pickings at the time. I got the PSP because of it's potential as a music, video and game player and homebrew was an added bonus when it came out on the system :p

I don't think the PSP scene is dying anymore after the tiff exploit was found. You can judge just by looking at the tiff thread here and the attention it has gotten. The PSP homebrew scene may be dying compared to the days of '06 and '07 but PSP itself is far from death

Adiuvo

I agree with FrozenIpaq, but whether this amount of interest will last isn't clear, or even if more applications and games will start being made for the PSP.

FrozenIpaq Ninja Edit: True, we might not see more apps/games from the homebrew community but we will see more retail games that should be worthy to play (good games and homebrew potential, even if just previous emulators is a good enough reason for me to buy a new PSP if I haven't already)

Adiuvo Not So Ninja Edit: The post reply button exists ;)

Slasher Edit: sup

Abe edit: Not much, you?

Adiuvo said:
I agree with FrozenIpaq, but whether this amount of interest will last isn't clear, or even if more applications and games will start being made for the PSP.

FrozenIpaq Ninja Edit: True, we might not see more apps/games from the homebrew community but we will see more retail games that should be worthy to play (good games and homebrew potential, even if just previous emulators is a good enough reason for me to buy a new PSP if I haven't already)

Adiuvo Not So Ninja Edit: The post reply button exists ;)

Slasher Edit: sup

Abe edit: Not much, you?

Posting your reply in someone's post. :laugh:

Also, the reason I got my PSP was entertainment. I had no desire for homebrew until I read an article online about the Daedaluses released. Then custom firmware came. :)

LocutusEstBorg

I had never seen a PSP until one of my friends bought one from abroad and I saw all the awesome games upto that point. Little did I know that once I finished playing all of them, they wouldn't make any more :(

Now I use it as my primary PMP because its the only one I have that supports gapless playback which I love for Floyd albums. Plus the controls in the music player are really well designed, with the 10x,30x,120x fast forward and all that. The PS3's media player is an unusaable piece of shit compared to the PSP.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Take this as total stupidity or total genius:

It is what you make it.

Well unless you're a programmer that statement is fairly redundant. Only the programmers can revive the PSP scene.

Anyway, yeah, I doubt we're going to get a revived PSP homebrew scene now. The thing I've never liked about the PSP homebrew scene is the lack of decent games. The support has always been there to make great games, but it was never taken advantage of.