• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP The PSP Scene...slowly fading away?

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Even with the birth of the possible PSP2, I strongly doubt that the homebrew scene will regrow to the size it had been roughly a year ago. For that to happen, it would need to be hacked within months of release with absolutely no restriction as to what can/can't be ran.

IMHO, given that the PS3 has succeeded in not being hacked for almost 3 years straight, this could possibly never happen. Meaning that as time goes on, the scene will continue to diminish. The only possibility is if the Utopia kernel finally takes off and becomes the core of an entirely new firmware complete with revamped GUI and other awesome features.

The PSP itself has turned into a paper weight, as many would call it. Much will be needed for it to be re-established as a renowned handheld.

As far as relating to the general PSP community of users (non homebrew users), the PSP2 could pull in the newer consumers that have never experienced much in the way of handheld systems. Sony will of course grab sales from users that stuck with the PSP through and through as fanboys (although some may not consider themselves this). If the device finally gets revised enough physically, I have a feeling that DS owners could possibly jump on the bandwagon, but as said before, there would have to be much improvement on the PSP's part, again IMO.

Adiuvo said:
When it came out the scene was still at it's peak. Once we got into the M33 series of firmwares it started getting less and less popular.

Huh. I thought either Version 1.50 or 3.52 M33 series was the peak of homebrew.

And about the scene, I guess its time has come. I wonder when Dark_Alex will retire from CFW and when CFW's time will come.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

And about the scene, I guess its time has come. I wonder when Dark_Alex will retire from CFW and when CFW's time will come.

The OE era is where a lot of breakthroughs occurred, such as the ability to play home-ripped PSOne games. It was by far the high point of the PSP scene.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Even with the birth of the possible PSP2, I strongly doubt that the homebrew scene will regrow to the size it had been roughly a year ago. For that to happen, it would need to be hacked within months of release with absolutely no restriction as to what can/can't be ran.

IMHO, given that the PS3 has succeeded in not being hacked for almost 3 years straight, this could possibly never happen. Meaning that as time goes on, the scene will continue to diminish. The only possibility is if the Utopia kernel finally takes off and becomes the core of an entirely new firmware complete with revamped GUI and other awesome features.

The PSP itself has turned into a paper weight, as many would call it. Much will be needed for it to be re-established as a renowned handheld.

As far as relating to the general PSP community of users (non homebrew users), the PSP2 could pull in the newer consumers that have never experienced much in the way of handheld systems. Sony will of course grab sales from users that stuck with the PSP through and through as fanboys (although some may not consider themselves this). If the device finally gets revised enough physically, I have a feeling that DS owners could possibly jump on the bandwagon, but as said before, there would have to be much improvement on the PSP's part, again IMO.
my psp isn't a paperweight, i play games on it a lot.

Adiuvo

Probably soon, considering that nobody even bothers with the updates he makes anymore.

x3sphere said:
The OE era is where a lot of breakthroughs occurred, such as the ability to play home-ripped PSOne games. It was by far the high point of the PSP scene.

I was viewing websites, and read alot about people glorifying 3.03 OE-C, so you're 100% right that OE was the peak of PSP. Was the 2nd peak of the scene 3.52 M33, because of NP9660 used for playing [legal] backups off the MemoryStick was also a major breakthrough to people?

Adiuvo said:
Probably soon, considering that nobody even bothers with the updates he makes anymore.

Really? I usually see people go crazy (not literally :D) everytime M33 updates are released.

El Diablo

"Was the 2nd peak of the scene 3.52 M33, because of NP9660 used for playing [legal] backups off the MemoryStick was also a major breakthrough to people?"

If I'm not mistaken, you can play backups off your memory stick with OE can't you? I'm pretty sure I did when I used to use mine with 3.40 OE-A.

Adiuvo

Which is exactly why 3.52 M33 never was as popular as OE. NP9660 was more of a novelty than anything, since the other ISO decoders were pretty much just as good as it.

El Diablo said:
If I'm not mistaken, you can play backups off your memory stick with OE can't you? I'm pretty sure I did when I used to use mine with 3.40 OE-A.

I had to use UMDs to play a game off the MemoryStick or I would get an error.

Well, if 3.52 M33 wasnn't 2nd breakthrough, does anyone think 3.60 M33 /3.71 M33 were? (because of the PSP Slim)

Adiuvo

They were breakthroughs, but they still weren't really anything that invigorated the scene. It was pretty much the same during that time, and only degraded more after that.

Really? Custom IPL was used for the first time on 3.60 M33. 3.52 M33-4 and lower custom firmwares used Official 1.50 IPL.

You're right, 3.60 M33 and 3.71 M33 were breakthroughs, but only for developers who saw Custom IPL as something really big.

january39

eXo Staff
The Tm-ipl was a great addition for the first slims, keepngi your battery in service mode and still use your PSP like normal; Had been that way for while for phat owners though.

IDstorage re-generation was also a breakthrough, although i spse only if your PSP was trashed (without any IDS or NAND dumps anyway).

I Have to admit though it is difficult to see where to go next with PSP Dev, once (& if) the 3000 get's cracked, i suspect the 'scene' will grow slowly :( - But i doubt it will ever get as big as in 2007

Moose

Meta Moose
The PSP scene was drenched in fantastic releases for such a long while that the WOW factor just doesn't really happen any more. People expect too much from the developers, and when something big is released, as much as they might appreciate it, they will always want more.

For example, for many people it is not enough just to have a TIFF exploit. To make the customer happy they need an ISO loader, full kernel access and a way to flash their PSP to the latest firmware from the latest official firmware. Which is understandable of course, but it gets a bit much when this is the only thing they believe is worth releasing.

Moose said:
For example, for many people it is not enough just to have a TIFF exploit. To make the customer happy they need an ISO loader, full kernel access and a way to flash their PSP to the latest firmware from the latest official firmware. Which is understandable of course, but it gets a bit much when this is the only thing they believe is worth releasing.

I say an ISO Loader shoudln't even be made, it's not a necessity. Now, kernel mode is something else.

Also, with Version 5.03 with kernel mode, do I smell a Devhook aproaching? ;)

january39

eXo Staff

Its a good point but it applies to all walks of life - Better consoles, Bigger TV's, faster cars etc etc.

I sometimes think how lucky people are that Pandora was ever discovered, before then (as already discussed) it was all d/g's in one form or another.

First time i ever modded a PSP was with Lumines and back then you held your breath as it installed, 2 years on and now i make a drink while it flashes files (almost zero risk factor). People expectations are sooo high now that anything less than CFW is really not enough.

I never really needed to use Devhook or the many apps at the time as i was lucky enough to go straight onto M33 but i know without them we probably would never have had CFW at all.

For those of us that know, the Tiff exploit and the gripshift exploit carry a lot of significance & potential ;) and in one way or another is what really the PSP scene is about.

January39 said:
For those of us that know, the Tiff exploit and the gripshift exploit carry a lot of significance & potential ;) and in one way or another is what really the PSP scene is about.

TIFF exploit is uber popular. Alot seems possible through this exploit. Gripshift seems...forgotten. (Firmware 5.03 made that happen.)

january39

eXo Staff
TIFF exploit is uber popular. Alot seems possible through this exploit. Gripshift seems...forgotten. (Firmware 5.03 made that happen.)

Yeah, Well the gripshift was accepted to be patched, and the only reason 5.03 exists is to patch it (widely reported). Shame.

Im looking forward to owning a 3000 ;)