• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Ubuntu Help Thread

Seth

MD Party Room
Come here with all your basic ubuntu problems I and others will do our best to solve them...

I cant say we do much seeing as we have like 3 major linux users here but we will try.

homaki

I'm on Hardy amd64 and I was just wondering if you have this issue with Firefox 3.0.3 that if you clear cookies and quit using the X button, they are restored. It doesn't happen if you close via the menu.

Seth

MD Party Room
That seems to be fixed in the 3.1 beta...

homaki

The betas don't seem to be in the repo. I'll just wait until 3.1 stable comes out and there's an easy workaround to my problem. Thanks anyway :)

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
So I need help connecting Ubuntu 8.04 to the internet via dial-up.

I read the help documents packed with Ubuntu and they didn't really help. I used my MSN ISP account details but I can't find a DNS..? I know what it stands for but I've never seen it. I also looked through all of the settings and properties of my vista pc (which is connected via MSN also) and cannot find anything regarding that.

I tried connecting without the DNS and as far as I know it didn't even attempt to connect. Thanks for any help...

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
For some reason that didn't work.. I did everything it told me to before I read that. Ubuntu just simply doesn't connect.. I can't tell if it is connecting or not

I checked for a modem using scanModem and this is the error I got:

Only plain text email is forwarded by the Discuss@Linmodems.org List Server,
as HTML can contain viruses. Use as the email Subject Line:
YourName, YourCountry kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
With this Subject Line cogent experts will be alerted, and useful case names left in the Archive.
YourCountry will enable Country specific guidance. Linux experts in YourCountry
can be found through: Linux Online - User Groups.
They will know your Country's modem code, which may be essential for dialup service.
Responses from Discuss@Linmodems.org are sometimes blocked by an Internet Provider mail filters.
So in a day, also check the Archived responses at http://www.linmodems.org
-------------------------- System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,
Linux version 2.6.24-16-generic (buildd@palmer) (gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)) #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC 2008
scanModem update of: 2008_12_27

There are no blacklisted modem drivers in /etc/modprobe* files
Attached USB devices are:
ID 13fe:1d00 Kingston Technology Company Inc. DataTraveler 2.0 1GB Flash Drive
ID 046d:c00e Logitech, Inc. M-BJ69 Optical Wheel Mouse

USB modems not recognized

For candidate card in slot 02:0b.0, firmware information and bootup diagnostics are:
PCI slot PCI ID SubsystemID Name
---------- --------- --------- --------------
02:0b.0 11c1:044e 1235:044e Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem

Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
===================================
The modem interrupt (IRQ) is 255 . IRQs of 0 or 255 are not functional!!
The CPU cannot control the modem until this situation is corrected!!
Possible corrections are:
1) Within the boot up BIOS, change from a Windows to a non-PNP/Other Operating System type.
Instructions for accessing BIOS are at:
Linmodem Resources within: Additional Resourcces.
2a) Add an option "pci=routeirq" to the kernel boot up line.
Here is an example paragraph from /boot/grub/menu.lst :
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-686
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-686 root=/dev/hda7 ro pci=routeirq
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-686
savedefault
2b) Same as above, but use "pollirq" instead of "pci=routeirq".
3) Within some BIOS setups, IRQ assignments can be changed.
4) On non-laptop systems, moving the modem card to another slot has helped.
5) Sometimes upgrading the kernel changes IRQ assignment.
=====================================

--- Bootup diagnostics for card in PCI slot 02:0b.0 ----

=== Finished firmware and bootup diagnostics, next deducing cogent software. ===

Predictive diagnostics for card in bus 02:0b.0:
Modem chipset detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=11c1:044e
SUBSYS=1235:044e
IRQ=255
IDENT=Agere.DSP

For candidate modem in: 02:0b.0
0780 Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem
Primary device ID: 11c1:044e
Support type needed or chipset: Agere.DSP

----------------end Softmodem section --------------

The modem has a Lucent/Agere/LSI Mars or Apollo DSP (digital signal processing) chipset.
Support packages for 2.6.n kernels are at:
Index of /packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian
Always use the most update for kernels after 2.6.20, currently martian-full-20080625.tar.gz
For kernels 2.6.20 and less, usr martian-full-20080407.tar.gz.

See DOCs/AgereDSP.txt for Details.

0x044e -- Mars 3 Mercury data fax only
-------------- end Agere Systems section -------------------

Completed candidate modem analyses.

The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.2.3
and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.2.3

Minimal compiling resources appear complete:
make utility - /usr/bin/make
Compiler version 4.2
linuc_headers base folder /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build

However some compilations and executable functions may need additional files,
in the FileNames.h (so called kernel "h"eaders) collection installed in /usr/include/ .
For martian_modem, additional required packages are needed. The also required headers of package libc6 are commonly installed by default.
Compiling hsfmodem drivers does require linux-libc-dev and libc6-dev packages, for kernels 2.6.24 and later versions.
In not included on your install CD, search for them at Ubuntu -- Ubuntu Packages Search
or comparable Repository for other Linux distros.
When compiling ALSA drivers, the utility "patch" will also be needed.

If a driver compilation fails, with message including some lack of some FileName.h (stdio.h for example), then
Some additional kernel-header files need installation to /usr/include. The minimal additional packages are libc6-dev
and any of its dependents, under Ubuntu linux-libc-dev

If an alternate ethernet connection is available,
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get -s install linux-kernel-devel
will install needed packages.
For Debian/Ubuntu related distributions, run the following command to display the needed package list:

Otherwise packages have to be found through Ubuntu -- Ubuntu Packages Search
Once downloaded and transferred into a Linux partition,
they can be installed alltogether with:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Checking pppd properties:
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 269256 2007-10-04 15:57 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
$ su - root (not for Ubuntu)
sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of: /etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
noauth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

In case of a message like:
Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see -- Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied

Read Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

Don't worry about the following, it is for experts should trouble shooting be necessary.
==========================================================

Checking for modem support lines:
--------------------------------------
/device/modem symbolic link:
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
Within /etc/udev/ files:

Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:eek:ptions snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:eek:ptions snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:

Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
Hey guys, im on Ubunutu 8.10 and have been on and off for about 7 months now. I have got everything working (Wireless, graphics card, webcam etc) except for one thing. My microphone. So I have to boot into Windows every time I want to do prank... I mean Skype.

My laptop model is an Acer Aspire 5520 and im unsure on how to get the microphone model.

CASHMON3Y

Is there any way to enable 2 sound cards in 8.04? I want the onboard because my computer has a headphone jack connecting to it, but i also want my PCI card because it goes to my speakers.

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
I had a really laggy problem today.

My processors were showing almost max for long periods of time (ram useage remained at slim to none.) and this causing my copmiz effects to become EXTREMELY laggy and unusable. I uninstalled a bunch of recent applications, updated and restarted. That still didn't fix. But then I changed the effects back to "none" and then went back to "advance" then it worked fine with no lag :D

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I have a problem with disc mounts and ejects.

When I eject a disc it ejects and after a split second closes again. It's impossible to take the disc out because it closes so fast. After it closes if I just press the eject button on my tower it comes out and stays out.

Other than that scenario, the eject button on my tower never works. I have to right click>eject>let it open and close>push eject just to get a disc out.

Are there any fixes or is this a hardware problem?

Second problem: I'm running Ubuntu on a fairly new machine that previously had XP on it. I wanted to save some of my games and apps so I installed Wine. I understand Wine probably has its limits but I didn't know if it was something I could change. If I run simple and older games such as Starcraft or Counter Strike 2D, it lags to the point where I can't even access menus properly. Is this a hardware problem or is it just the limit of an emulator?

BTW: I have ubuntu 8.10 and the newest version of WINE.

Seth

MD Party Room
I have a problem with disc mounts and ejects.

When I eject a disc it ejects and after a split second closes again. It's impossible to take the disc out because it closes so fast. After it closes if I just press the eject button on my tower it comes out and stays out.

Other than that scenario, the eject button on my tower never works. I have to right click>eject>let it open and close>push eject just to get a disc out.

Are there any fixes or is this a hardware problem?

Not 100% but it looks like the disk is mounted...The only way to have it not do that speed close is to unmount it....Then use a soft eject via ubuntu or from the tower itself..

Second problem: I'm running Ubuntu on a fairly new machine that previously had XP on it. I wanted to save some of my games and apps so I installed Wine. I understand Wine probably has its limits but I didn't know if it was something I could change. If I run simple and older games such as Starcraft or Counter Strike 2D, it lags to the point where I can't even access menus properly. Is this a hardware problem or is it just the limit of an emulator?

BTW: I have ubuntu 8.10 and the newest version of WINE.
How bad a gfx card are we talking here...If it crap then there not much you can do... Tho you might be able to find a few guides to tweak it to run better...

Btw try useing Wine Doors.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Is there any difference from Wine Doors to WINE? Also, it's a pretty decent graphics card I think. I did some 3D modeling with Blender in another life on XP and it ran at pretty good speed. I also had all of these apps on XP and they all ran at full speed.

Also: I've tried unmounting. Doesn't fix the problem.

Seth

MD Party Room
No difference it just a lot better for people new to wine or linux...

Sorry I dont know how to help you with your drive problem.. Try the ubunu forums they may help..

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I tried installing Wine Doors and after it asked me for my name, company name, and if I had a Windows license it froze. Right after I clicked proceed the application froze.

I checked out the system monitor and when I ran Starcraft and CS2D, it was ~100% the entire time. I changed the priorities to see if it would help and it didn't. I also changed some preferences in Wine but also did not help. I really doubt it's my hardware. Even my windows ME laptop can handle these Apps running at 100%...

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
More Information on the laggy Ubuntu problem brought up earlier:

I was watching system monitors and looking at how much of the resources I was using and it was amazing...

When I moved my mouse frantically around the screen, system monitors told me I was consistently using 100% of my resources. It can't be my hardware... Like I said it ran perfectly fine when I had XP.

Seth

MD Party Room
Do you have Compiz Fusion running?

Did ubuntu install any 3ed party drivers?

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I'm not home atm but I'm pretty sure it didn't do anything. I'm also not sure about Compiz Fusion. It doesn't ring a bell.

I just installed using a live cd.