• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Ultimate Guide On Linux For Beginners

Seth

MD Party Room
Ok you just realized that Windows XP sucks and your to poor to buy a Mac what do you do well you use linux there are many Linux distro and i will help you pick one...

What is Linux in my mind
Linux is what you make it.
Its a highly customizable operating system, a little known competitor to MS windows. It can look exactly like more commonly used OS's or can be something unique to you, for the uses you want it to be used for, usually with no added cost.It comes in all shapes and sizes and caters for many peoples needs, from the uber programmer to the basic desktop user, and should be considered by all as a serious alternative to other operating systems,

Here a great artical I found on why Linux Pwns your OS take the time to read it..
Top 10 Reasons Linux pwns Your OS

by Scott Morris @ 6:53 am. Filed under General SUSE, General Linux
1. Security and Stability
  • Yes, Linux is more secure. I know that there are over 120,000 viruses and malware designed specifically to exploit Windows (I personally asked Symantec). To date, I have discovered that there are only about 500 targeting Linux. Let

Seth

MD Party Room
[FIELDSET="Ubuntu"]
The most well know Linux Distro is Ubuntu...Here a great sum up from distrowatch about ubuntu.

Distrowatch said:
Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit. "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world."

As of this writing Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" is the newest available distro
[FIELDSET="New Features In Ubuntu 8.10"]
[FIELDSET="GNOME 2.24"]

Ubuntu brings you the newest GNOME 2.24 desktop environment with tons of bug-fixes and new features, some of which include:
  • Nautilus file manager has tab support
  • Eject icons for removable drives in Places sidebar
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="X.Org 7.4"]
It brings much better support for hot-pluggable input devices such as tablets, keyboards, and mice.A new failsafe X is introduced, to give better tools for troubleshooting X startup failures.[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Linux kernel 2.6.27"]

A significant release with better hardware support and numerous bug-fixes. [/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Guest session"]
This creates a temporary password-less user account with restricted privileges: the account cannot access any users' home directories, nor permanently store data. This is sufficiently safe to lend your laptop to someone else for a quick email check.
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Network Manager 0.7"]

This new Network manger has some great new features, such as:

* system wide settings (i.e., no need to log in in order to get a connection)
* management of 3G connections (GSM/CDMA)
* management of multiple active devices at once
* management of PPP and PPPOE connections
* management of devices with static IP configurations
* route management for devices

More information can be found on the Network Manager wiki.
[/FIELDSET]

1. Great community: This is were ubuntu really shines, The community over at the ubuntu forum and here in the MFM forums..Someone always takes the time to help you out..No matter how big of a noob you or you questions are someone is just about willing to help you out..

2. Package manager :Synaptic Package manager is one of the best Package manager out there..Unlike windows or OSX when you want to find a app you would have to go to google and search for it and it will likely be shareware..But with Synaptic Package manager you can have ten thousands of apps to pick from in one easy place.. You can also have more than 1 app install at once( So you may pick 10-20 apps and walk away and they will be all installed when you come back). Installing codex like Mp3,AVI,MP4 is a one step process and is very easy to do. Since Ubuntu is basied on Debin you have aweath of seclusion of apps to pick from it support more apps than any other Linux distro.

3. Hardware Recognition: I would have to say that Ubuntu is by far the best Linux variant available today for hardware recognition.. I and many others have installed Ubuntu on tons of PC and they support or can easily be installed...

4. Integrated Software Update Tool: This tool compares to Windows Update and runs in the background. Not only does it update system stuff but installed applications as well (as long as they are in the repositories). Everything from the kernel to the browser, this tool is a must have to keep your machine up to date.

5.Partner Projects: UbuntuEdubuntuGobuntuKubuntuXubuntu: Ubuntu Christian Edition • Copland • Elbuntu • FluxbuntugNewSenseGnoppixGuadalinexIchthuxImpiLinuxLinux MintLinuxTLELiteMEPISMolinuxMythbuntuNexenta OSnUbuntuStudioSymphony OS

So if you dont like Ubuntu itself you may like others and all can do all the same benefits of Ubuntu...and some with added benefits.

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="openSUSE 11.1 "]
The most polished distro is openSUSE...Here a great sum up from distrowatch about openSUSE.

Distrowatch said:
The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy access to openSUSE, a complete Linux distribution. The openSUSE project has three main goals: make openSUSE the easiest Linux for anyone to obtain and the most widely used Linux distribution; leverage open source collaboration to make openSUSE the world's most usable Linux distribution and desktop environment for new and experienced Linux users; dramatically simplify and open the development and packaging processes to make openSUSE the platform of choice for Linux developers and software vendors.

As of right now openSUSE 11.1 Beta 3 is out...Feel free to test this out.

*Note it will be updated when openSUSE 11.1 Gold is available

Major changes in this release include:

* Live CDs for x86 and x86_64 GNOME and KDE
* OpenOffice.org 3.0
* Mono 2.0 Final
* Linux 2.6.27.1 (fixes e1000e issue)
* CUPS 1.3.9
* Parts of 11.1 branding are now in place
* Amarok 2.0 beta 2
* Banshee 1.3.2
* GNOME 2.24
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET]
Linux Mint

Distrowatch said:
Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.

[/FIELDSET]

Still Not Done I finished this up on my next day off...