• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Ultimate Laptop Specifications

elite

Oldie moldie
So here I am, choosing what to get for a personal computer. All I need to know is:

1 - What are the latest laptop specs? (CPU,GPU,HD,RAM,etc...)
2 - What is the ideal laptop for multimedia and especially for gaming?

elite

Oldie moldie
I didn't worry about the price since I can literally afford any laptop.

As for the specs you told me about, I don't think they are the latest (i5<i7). I guess that is the stock laptop, what are its extreme upgrades?

elite

Oldie moldie
Well yeah. Thanks. :) Was the HD5970 released after the 5870?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Well yeah. Thanks. :) Was the HD5970 released after the 5870?

The 5970 is the dual GPU version of the 5870. It really should of been marketed as the 5870x2 but ATI for some reason decided not to do that this generation. You'll be very pushed to find a laptop that has a 5970 due to heat and power issues.

Also, the use of two graphics cards doesn't always equal 2x the performance. To deal with heat issues with the desktop version of the 5970, they underclocked each CPU so that they produce less heat. That, combined with less than stellar crossfire support in software, results in a real world performance gain of roughly 1.4-1.5x. Even then, there's some applications/games that don't run at all when using crossfire. That situation is getting better and better but it's still an issue.

so, 5970 = 2 underclocked 5870s on the one PCB.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The Nvidia GTX 480M is currently the fastest mobile graphics solution (single gpu). However, according to HotHardware, last generations dual GPU setups still beat out the 480M.

In terms of graphics performance, this is the best notebook that I could find: AVADirect Clevo X8100 Core i7 Gaming Notebook Review - HotHardware

However, a new notebook was recently announced with dual 5870m (so basically 5970M) which should offer the best performance. Eurocom Launches X8100 Leopard Gaming Notebook - HotHardware

To cap it all off: take my recommendation and forget about a "gaming laptop". It sounds great at first, however you'll always need to be at an outlet, the laptop will most likely overheat at times, and performance will never be as great as a desktop. Desktop replacement laptops are not known for their long lifespans either.

I highly advise you not buying a "gaming" laptop, it's an oxymoron if you ask me. I almost bought one myself but am glad I made a much more powerful desktop for less and have a notebook to travel with. For portable gaming I stick with handheld gaming.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The 5970 is a foot long, which is already out of reach for most mid-sized towers. I don't think it would fit into any laptop.

I don't see the appeal of buying a gaming laptop either. For the price of one, you could build a high-spec desktop rig and pick up a travel-friendly laptop with a fast CPU for the same price. Probably less.

elite

Oldie moldie
Thanks for the replies so far.

For the temperature and overheating, I saw the Alienware M17x. Not bad actually, and can handle its temperature via changing to integrated graphics quickly (9400M). Is there any negative benefits in Alienware M17x?

As that being said, what do you think is the ideal laptop specifications that can run new games fluently and multimedia with minimal side effects?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Gaming on a laptop is no fun. I tried to do it but gaming on a desktop is 100x better.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The Nvidia GTX 480M is currently the fastest mobile graphics solution (single gpu). However, according to HotHardware, last generations dual GPU setups still beat out the 480M.

In terms of graphics performance, this is the best notebook that I could find: AVADirect Clevo X8100 Core i7 Gaming Notebook Review - HotHardware

However, a new notebook was recently announced with dual 5870m (so basically 5970M) which should offer the best performance. Eurocom Launches X8100 Leopard Gaming Notebook - HotHardware

To cap it all off: take my recommendation and forget about a "gaming laptop". It sounds great at first, however you'll always need to be at an outlet, the laptop will most likely overheat at times, and performance will never be as great as a desktop. Desktop replacement laptops are not known for their long lifespans either.

I highly advise you not buying a "gaming" laptop, it's an oxymoron if you ask me. I almost bought one myself but am glad I made a much more powerful desktop for less and have a notebook to travel with. For portable gaming I stick with handheld gaming.

Intel i7...8GB of RAM...choice of GPUs including dual 285Ms or dual 5870s...an internal HDTV tuner...1920x1080 screen...4 hard drive slots....

It doesn't ship until August though and no word on a price but my god, that's one beast of a laptop.

Hardrive

Contributor
Intel i7...8GB of RAM...choice of GPUs including dual 285Ms or dual 5870s...an internal HDTV tuner...1920x1080 screen...4 hard drive slots....

It doesn't ship until August though and no word on a price but my god, that's one beast of a laptop.

Hard drives are heavy. That thing is gonna weigh like twenty pounds.