• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Value of Content

EvilSeph

Administrator
Quantity over quality.

One powerful phrase made up of three important words. In the past, you would find this phrase reversed, however the accepted norm these days appears to be how I began this article: to focus on having a lot of content that is not necessarily of high quality. Just look at any successful site these days and you're bound to notice the same thing: an image or two (of high quality, if the site is decent) and a few lines of text and you have your article. Why is this phrase so powerful? It allows you to describe the drive behind a site's management in just three words.

Over here at M for Mature, we pride ourselves on reversing this phrase. We believe that quality is, and will forever be, significantly more important than quantity. That being said, while we are constantly pushing ourselves to procure content that far exceeds that of any other site in terms of quality, we still need to cover our bases to hold any water amongst our competition. This, unfortunately, leads us dangerously into the realm of the norm.

To escape this trap, we are constantly brainstorming and discussing new ideas for different content we can offer you guys. However, since we have such a high level of expectation for quality, bringing these ideas to light takes a lot of time and effort (which we have no problem devoting to M for Mature, it just means you guys need to be patient :)). Please remember that if you have any ideas of content we should cover that would help push us more into the realm of the unique, then we'd be glad to hear about it.

With all the formalities out the way, I would like to take some time to give our Contributors and our Staff the recognition they deserve for all the hard work they put into M for Mature. Thank you guys for everything you have done and are continuing to do for the betterment of our community here at M for Mature. In case you missed it, I would like to highlight some of the unique content we are going to be offering or already are offering on our front page to give the people responsible the recognition and thanks they deserve.

Some examples of this hard work are two new article series' that we're running that we hope you guys will enjoy:

rreview_header.png

Retro Reviews

The likelihood of happening across a genuinely good game regardless of the quality of its graphics is, sadly, slim to none. These days, the focus for game developers seems to be on the graphics in the game not so much the quality of the story or the replay-value of the game. When you look at games from the past, you'll see that game developers did not have the graphically pleasing aspect of a game as a crutch to fall back on when their game is poorly designed, has a poorly written or ineffectively implemented story.

The Retro Review series from M for Mature is an editorial series that allows gamers to speak out about lost gems in gaming history. I use the term lost gems because you're likely to find titles you didn't hear about or have never played before from our Retro Review series. If you're a hardcore gamer and you're not sure what a retro game is, then you are really missing out. Games of the present don't seem to be able to hold their own against retro games simply because, back then, the focus was on game design itself and not game presentation.

So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and check out our Retro Review series. Oh and

Whisper

Logic :(
I said it before I will say it again. Retro reviews is the best thing to happen to this site.:)

Lazaarus

away until Feb 7th
Good ideas, I was glad to see that editorial section along the right hand side of my screen when I logged back into the home page. Keep it up, these are both interesting reads (glad to see Earthbound get some recognition as being ahead of it's time). :)

Adiuvo

I'm glad to see you're bring over the Curious Findings, nice job on everything :)

Tons of sites have so much of the same content, that it really doesn't matter which you go to. Inevitably, the one that looks the best gets your pick. But if you stumble upon a site that has good unique content, you'll be sure to stay. It's great to see that MFM has both; a great interface, and great content.

eighty4

I appreciate all this work - I really do, but I really really want to push forward a way for iPhone/iPod Touch users to get their news here.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I appreciate all this work - I really do, but I really really want to push forward a way for iPhone/iPod Touch users to get their news here.

Give it some time man, we would like to be able to say the same at some point in the future. That goes for a lot of industry related news.

We'll work on it is the best I can offer at this time.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Just an update in case you missed it, I've posted our very first Curious Finding on the front page. Take a look, I'm sure you'll find it useful :)

The beauty of the Curious Findings (CF) series is that people tend to find our CFs and then post alternatives that they've heard of or use. So even if we don't cover the alternative software you're using, chances are someone else will mention it anyway in our comments. And if they don't, then we'd really appreciate it if you'd let everyone know of a (better) alternative to our Curious Finding that you know of or use in our comments :)

eldiablov

Contributor
With all the goings on over the past few weeks, is content still the most important thing in the admins minds? Or do you consider gaining traffic more important?

Not a swipe or an attack, just curious for my own benefit.

Adiuvo

It's a mixture of both. Traffic cannot be ignored because without that, who will use the content? With content being the only focus, where's the initial traffic to use it?

We're still thinking about content, as shown by us getting some editorials ready for the front page. But traffic can't be let by the wayside, and with that we need to remember good comes with bad.