• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Thinking of building a new computer. Help

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
So my P3 junker running Xubuntu isn't exactly cutting it for me anymore. I'm not sure how much I want to spend, but ideally it could run current games at about medium settings. I'd be interested in playing CoD4 and Gears on it for sure.

Things I want:
-Nice solid wireless mouse and keyboard
-I have no clue what to go for in terms of a GPU, same goes for CPU
-Plenty of HD space for my warez, plan on dual booting some flava of Linux and XP, maybe tri with Vista
-5.1 sound
-I don't need a ridiculous looking case with 4832908901 LEDs. Something simple and sleek will do the job
-DL DVD burner

I don't know guys, I'm kind of lost.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Do you have a budget?
It's easier for us to show you the best possible parts you can get that way.

--

hehe i don't like the look of a million lights either, it can make the computer look really tacky.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I'd say in the neighborhood of 500. Give or take a little. Is this reasonable? I can spend more than that, but I'd, like, rather not.

e: 500 USD.

Greyone

Frenchb0ygenius said:
$500 is gonna be tough, but I'll see what I can do...
It is tough, I have been trying to configure one right now. Already over budget :p

ilyace

Greyone

Frenchb0ygenius said:
Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800MHZ
HDD: WD 500GB SATA
CPU: Intel C2D E7200 45nm
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R P45
GPU: Zotac 9600GT
PSU: Corsair 650TX 650w
Case: Antec 300 im pretty sure there aren't any leds in this one ;)
DVD Drive: Samsung DL 22x DVD Burner

Total: $620 w/o mouse+ keyboard...I'll change a few things around to keep the price down in a few min. I tried to find as many sales as I could, ex the psu is orig $160, there are a few $5-$10 off here and there...
no way, i picked almost the same things

I was kinda confused on which motherboard to pick though.

Also, would it be better for him to go with a 9800gt, its just a few dollars more.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
My max resolution is 1680x1050, btw. And 500 was just a number I threw out, I can be flexible, as I probably won't be ordering anything until closer to Christmas when I get my bonus check.

ilyace

Greyone said:
no way, i picked almost the same things

I was kinda confused on which motherboard to pick though.

Also, would it be better for him to go with a 9800gt, its just a few dollars more.

Idk, I heard somewhere that the 9800GT is pretty much the same as 8800GT, so 9600GT-8800GT not much difference.

Greyone

Mr. Beefy said:
My max resolution is 1680x1050, btw. And 500 was just a number I threw out, I can be flexible, as I probably won't be ordering anything until closer to Christmas when I get my bonus check.
prices for some of these parts may go down then, considering the new corei7's are coming out this month.

Seth

MD Party Room
Ithelp if you had a price range?

If it in the 600ish range Frenchb0y has a good computer for that price range..

Also I dont really think 500w are need 350w should so the job...