• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Time played broken for Xbox... again

Tigerking3000

After being broken for months and Microsoft basically ignoring everyone they finally fixed the time played glitch. Well, that didn't last long as it's broken again and yes, Microsoft is ignoring everyone who is trying to bring this to their attention again.

I cancelled my Series X pre-order because I don't want a console where support ignores you when a problem arises and when they finally fix it after a few months it just quickly breaks again and they go back to ignoring you again. Actually, it's worse than ignoring. The mods on the Xbox Reddit will remove your post for no reason if you bring this up, so they do read it. They just read it and try to hide that there's a problem I guess. I was a diehard Xbox fan but this has been a bad generation for them and I don't trust the Series X to be a good console. Sorry, not sorry.

So yes, as of right now the Xbox One is literally not functioning properly and Microsoft seems not to care. Maybe they'll fix it in a year. Maybe they'll never fix it. Who knows? I'm sure they'll spend lots of effort advertising Game Pass while ignoring their actual loyal longtime fans, though.

you are absolutly right man, if i knew that fature will be broken I wouldn't buy xbox one X this year. Guys do you have any ideas where we can spread info about this issue for gaming sites, maybe when they see they have bad press things will get change... just thinking.. but I think nobody fuckin cares

Tigerking3000

The Xbox Series X console pre-order.

I also noticed that not only is the timer still broken but the in game timers for certain games also seem to be broken. Gears 5 doesn't even support the stats feature at all (pure laziness, a first-party game with no stats or time played section) but it has an in game timer. But that's been broken as well and noticed it hasn't updated at all lately.

It's really sad that Microsoft feels it's acceptable to have products broken this long and that even their first-party games are unpolished, broken, and don't support any stats. Steam never had this problem in all the years it existed. Even the 3DS had a timer that worked perfectly for every single game for crying out loud. The PS systems admittedly lack a timer and stat tracking entirely but they make up for it by having so many damn good exclusives, and there's rumors the PS5 might have stat tracking and time tracking anyway. Microsoft either can't or doesn't care about fixing what should be a simple problem which scares me that if there's major glitches on the Series X you might have to wait months to get them fixed or they might just not fix them which I why I cancelled my pre-order. I don't have time to waste with broken products when there's other competition that can get it right.

Or they're possibly lying entirely and turned the timers off purposely, which also wouldn't surprised me. Maybe someone else turned them back on a few weeks ago without permission and they turned them back off again. How can a timer just stop working out of nowhere after all of these years? And even if it did somehow break, how can it be that difficult to fix? None of it adds up. Especially since they're completely removed stats from their newest first-party games like Gears. For whatever reason it seems like they're trying to get rid of stats completely and stat tracking is one of the few reasons to actually play on the Xbox over PS. They must have a reason for not wanting stats known to people anymore. All I know is MS pretty much managed to piss off everyone who supported them in the past this generation (which is why PS4 destroyed it in sales this time around) and now even I've jumped on the bandwagon after I defended them from all of the hate. They don't seem to understand that if your game library sucks then you need to make up for it somehow with good features, and time and stat tracking basically did that. With those features now removed the only reason I can think of playing on Xbox is for the controller, but you can also do that on Steam so...

Last edited:

U2NUMB

The Xbox Series X console pre-order.

I also noticed that not only is the timer still broken but the in game timers for certain games also seem to be broken. Gears 5 doesn't even support the stats feature at all (pure laziness, a first-party game with no stats or time played section) but it has an in game timer. But that's been broken as well and noticed it hasn't updated at all lately.

It's really sad that Microsoft feels it's acceptable to have products broken this long and that even their first-party games are unpolished, broken, and don't support any stats. Steam never had this problem in all the years it existed. Even the 3DS had a timer that worked perfectly for every single game for crying out loud. The PS systems admittedly lack a timer and stat tracking entirely but they make up for it by having so many damn good exclusives, and there's rumors the PS5 might have stat tracking and time tracking anyway. Microsoft either can't or doesn't care about fixing what should be a simple problem which scares me that if there's major glitches on the Series X you might have to wait months to get them fixed or they might just not fix them which I why I cancelled my pre-order. I don't have time to waste with broken products when there's other competition that can get it right.

Or they're possibly lying entirely and turned the timers off purposely, which also wouldn't surprised me. Maybe someone else turned them back on a few weeks ago without permission and they turned them back off again. How can a timer just stop working out of nowhere after all of these years? And even if it did somehow break, how can it be that difficult to fix? None of it adds up. Especially since they're completely removed stats from their newest first-party games like Gears. For whatever reason it seems like they're trying to get rid of stats completely and stat tracking is one of the few reasons to actually play on the Xbox over PS. They must have a reason for not wanting stats known to people anymore. All I know is MS pretty much managed to piss off everyone who supported them in the past this generation (which is why PS4 destroyed it in sales this time around) and now even I've jumped on the bandwagon after I defended them from all of the hate. They don't seem to understand that if your game library sucks then you need to make up for it somehow with good features, and time and stat tracking basically did that. With those features now removed the only reason I can think of playing on Xbox is for the controller, but you can also do that on Steam so...

I meant... you cant pre order so you did not cancel it. They have not announced pre orders yet. So you just are not gonna buy it now right.. thats not canceling a pre order.

zzUrbanSpaceman

I meant... you cant pre order so you did not cancel it. They have not announced pre orders yet. So you just are not gonna buy it now right.. thats not canceling a pre order.

I think some stores are doing pre-orders, even though the firm release date and price(!) aren't known yet.

Edit: And of all the possible features of a console, I'd have thought that time played is probably one of the lower ones to worry about. If you're not going to buy a console because some time tracking is broken, that seems a bit weird to me. I don't buy a console because it can track my time played, I buy it to play games. Maybe that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Tigerking3000

U2NUMB, some stores started pre-order lists for Series X and PS5.

I have to warn anyone that is considering buying a Series X. This is the type of customer service MS gives. There's been a broken feature for four months now and not an official response. They tell people to go on Reddit yet if you post about this problem there your post either gets ignored or removed. And it has the worst launch lineup of any platform I've ever seen, so if you buy it just to "play games" then you can just play the same exact games on the other platforms along with many more.

All MS seems to care about now is literally Game Pass. They're trying to make money off subscriptions like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. and could care less about actual gamers at this point. They don't strike me as a real gaming company, just opportunists trying to take advantage of the market. The 360 was a great platform but that might have just been a fluke because starting in 2010 (when they focused on Kinect) everything they've done since has been terrible which is why they lost to Sony so badly this time around and it'll happen again next generation.

U2NUMB

U2NUMB, some stores started pre-order lists for Series X and PS5.

I have to warn anyone that is considering buying a Series X. This is the type of customer service MS gives. There's been a broken feature for four months now and not an official response. They tell people to go on Reddit yet if you post about this problem there your post either gets ignored or removed. And it has the worst launch lineup of any platform I've ever seen, so if you buy it just to "play games" then you can just play the same exact games on the other platforms along with many more.

All MS seems to care about now is literally Game Pass. They're trying to make money off subscriptions like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. and could care less about actual gamers at this point. They don't strike me as a real gaming company, just opportunists trying to take advantage of the market. The 360 was a great platform but that might have just been a fluke because starting in 2010 (when they focused on Kinect) everything they've done since has been terrible which is why they lost to Sony so badly this time around and it'll happen again next generation.

I dont need a lesson on MS or history of Xbox. I beta tested Xbox Live in 2000 from the first round of tests. This generation start is NOTHING like last gen. MS has been very open about them being totally ok with people not buying an xbox.. thats why they are the ONLY major platform holder releasing games on other consoles. They release every game on PC and have released multiple games on PS4 and Switch. I sure as hell would love it if those 2 platforms did the same. They are making it very easy to play their games and in the last 3 years have tripled their first party studios. The games take time to make and I for one love the gamepass idea.. so many brand new games going into the sub all the time. Many non first party games as well.. just this week I can think of about 4 to 5 that pops into the pass on day one. Thats a crazy good deal.

I think some of the issues we are seeing is they are spread too thin... I was on the front lines 2 years ago blowing up twitter and anyone I had ever been in contact with at MS about hero stats going away.. I finally got someone to admit devs complained about having to have them and they lifted the requirement. I understand if devs were complaining.. I wish MS had made time tracking required or just a base feature but fast forward to today and the majority of games dont even track time played. This part does bug me and it sucks they seem to have limited scope of the current issue. At the beginning of this gen they went a couple years with the time tracking being VERY flakey.. they eventually figured it out. I think with the new gen coming they simply dont have the correct people able to look into it. I sure hope its a base feature on the next OS but I have more faith the PS5 will have that feature at this point.

Hell Stadia even has time tracked AND hero stats for all games... and it does it very well.

So I am also let down currently and just today bought PGA 2k21 on PC instead of Xbox One because of time played stat. So I get it.. but there are a number of things that are not the same now compared to MS at the launch of the X1. All we can do is hope they figure it out and hope they keep putting games on steam because options is the biggest plus they have been offering.

Tigerking3000

Some games have separate, in game timers and I've noticed that the one in Gears 5 has also been broken for several months while some third party ones with their own separate timers are still working. Since Gears 5 is a first party game it makes me wonder if Microsoft for some reason intentionally turned the stats timer feature off. What are the chances that the main timer doesn't work as well as the separate in game timer for one of their first party games? Either way ignoring people, deleting posts, and not giving an official statement for months is the worst customer service you can get.

I have a conspiracy theory that they intentionally turned the timers off for reasons only they know and are purposely ignoring people who bring it up. Someone else might have turned them back on (but wasn't supposed to) until it was caught and they turned them back off again which is why they worked for a few days. I'm not saying this is true or what happened... just a conspiracy. Or they're just incompetent, have a broken feature for months and literally don't care which is probably more likely... But I don't see how a timer could just "break". Many old forums from the 90's (using crappy outdated technology) use timers and they never break down. Steam never "broke". How can a simple function just mysteriously stop working in this day and age and there's no fix somehow?

Last edited:

Voyaman

Some games have separate, in game timers and I've noticed that the one in Gears 5 has also been broken for several months while some third party ones with their own separate timers are still working. Since Gears 5 is a first party game it makes me wonder if Microsoft for some reason intentionally turned the stats timer feature off. What are the chances that the main timer doesn't work as well as the separate in game timer for one of their first party games? Either way ignoring people, deleting posts, and not giving an official statement for months is the worst customer service you can get.

I have a conspiracy theory that they intentionally turned the timers off for reasons only they know and are purposely ignoring people who bring it up. Someone else might have turned them back on (but wasn't supposed to) until it was caught and they turned them back off again which is why they worked for a few days. I'm not saying this is true or what happened... just a conspiracy. Or they're just incompetent, have a broken feature for months and literally don't care which is probably more likely... But I don't see how a timer could just "break". Many old forums from the 90's (using crappy outdated technology) use timers and they never break down. Steam never "broke". How can a simple function just mysteriously stop working in this day and age and there's no fix somehow?

I have exactly the same thoughts !!!
And i think its because of the new dashboard that will come in autumn :(
They don't want to repair anything on the old dashboard...

U2NUMB

Ok so it seems to be working again and unlike before it updates the time played instantly after you close the game. At least on a couple games I just started it is adding time played.

Also lots of new games seem to have time played.. Project Cars 3, PGA 2k21, Marvels Avengers... the main games all seem to have time played as a stat. So that is a good sign as long as it keeps working.

Tigerking3000

Now please Activision, make sure Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 has this feature. I'll buy it on day 1 if it does.

And MS, I'll take back all of the mean things I said about you if you make sure that this is a permanent feature for all games next generation. I know I was angry at them but while this feature wasn't working I spent time on my PS4 backlog and nothing against the system but I did not particularly enjoy it compared to Xbox. I wasn't a fan of the PS4 exclusives that I played that everyone else seems to rave about (they don't really seem like games, more like interactive movies or stories - not to start a fanboy war or anything), the controller is too small and UI seems very outdated and featureless. Makes me wonder why people bash Xbox so much since the MS first party games seem much better to me compared to Sony's first party games and everything else about the console seems better.

Last edited:

U2NUMB

Now please Activision, make sure Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 has this feature. I'll buy it on day 1 if it does.

And MS, I'll take back all of the mean things I said about you if you make sure that this is a permanent feature for all games next generation. I know I was angry at them but while this feature wasn't working I spent time on my PS4 backlog and nothing against the system but I did not particularly enjoy it compared to Xbox. I wasn't a fan of the PS4 exclusives that I played that everyone else seems to rave about (they don't really seem like games, more like interactive movies or stories - not to start a fanboy war or anything), the controller is too small and UI seems very outdated and featureless. Makes me wonder why people bash Xbox so much since the MS first party games seem much better to me compared to Sony's first party games and everything else about the console seems better.

So bad news.. I have a friend who has the game early...... no time tracking.

Tigerking3000

It's sad that Tony Hawk doesn't have time tracking especially since it seems perfect for this type of game. Oh well, I ordered the PS4 version because more people will be playing it online and there is no Steam version. Xbox seems to not want my money these days. Sadly, Sony with their insane censorship these days is not much better and their exclusives are really overrated IMO. Next generation I might just exclusively join the rest of the arrogant PC Master Race and forget about the Series X and PS5 entirely. Best performance, time tracking, no censorship, and even first party MS and Sony games all seem to be there sooner or later now. I'm just really frustrated and sad in the direction consoles are going while PC gaming seems to keep getting better.

Last edited: