• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[TIPS] Windows 7 Tweaks

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="eXo.Gear"]

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------- ---------- ----------
Table of Content
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------- ---------- ----------

Read Me!

Tweak Guides
  • How To Install and Enable DreamScenes on Windows 7 32 Bit
  • How to Create Flip3D Toolbar Icon

Tweaking Programs
  • Tweak7 Utilities
  • Program Soon To Come...

Updates[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="eXo.Gear"]
Please Read Me!
[FIELDSET="About this guide"]
Just having recently upgraded to Windows 7, of course I instantly turned to google and the interweb to find all the latest, or even past Windows 7 Tweaks, Guides, Tip/Tricks, everything. I am hoping to select, with the members help and submissions to bring the best tweaks and whatnot all together in one post.
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Note to the readers"]
If you are currently viewing, reading, or trying out the guides located on this post, I have one thing to ask of you. Do you know of a guide that is not listed here, but you feel is worthy of being mentioned? Or maybe you made/found out your own tweaks you wish to share. Then please post a response here explaining:
  1. What the tweak is and does
  2. Do you have screen shots of how to apply it? And, that it works
  3. Optional: Do you have a video?
  4. Did you find this online? If so, where?
  5. Anything else you feel needed to add
Then, myself (and hopefully a few others will help) will try out the tweak and it is found useful, it will be added to the guide!
[/FIELDSET][/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[fieldset=eXo.Gear]
Tweaking Guides

How to Install DreamScene in Windows 7 (Only works on Windows 7 32 Bit)
[FIELDSET="Step One: Download and Install"]1) Download the program: Windows7-DreamScene.exe
Screenshot
2) Right-click on the application and choose "Run As Administrator"
Screenshot
4) When the installer (Command Prompt) opens, press any key to continue as it says.
Screenshot[/FIELDSET]
[FIELDSET="Step Two: Locate and apply Dreamscene Themes"]1) Once the installer is done, there will be a new folder in: X:\Windows\Web (X is your drive letter) labeled "DreamScene"
Screenshot
2) Place the desired DreamScene file inside the folder
Screenshot
3) Finally, right-click on the desired file and click "Set as Desktop"
Screenshot
[/FIELDSET]
Please note: There is still a bug that when you apply the DreamScene, the text color for the programs might change and become transparent. The fix is easy for that.

[FIELDSET="Fixing Transparent Text"]1) Right click your desktop and choose "Personalize"
Screenshot
2)Once the Personalize screen is open, right click the picture box that is titled "Unsaved Theme", then save it as any name.
Screenshot
3) Now, click on any other themes that came with Windows 7. (Like from the "Aero Themes" selection)
4) Wait a couple of seconds while the theme is being applied.
5)Once it done click on the theme that you first saved.
It's fixed![/FIELDSET]

How to get a Flip3D Taskbar Icon, like in Vista
Click here for an example

[FIELDSET="How To Make a Flip3D Taskbar, easily!"]
  1. Right click on the Desktop and select New and then Shortcut.
  2. Type "RunDll32 DwmApi #10" (without the quotes)
  3. into the box then press Next
  4. Name the shortcut "Flip3D" or anything you desire, then press OK
  5. Now, right click the icon and select "Properties" then the "Shortcut" tab then the "Change Icon" button.
  6. In the textbox, type in: C:\windows\explorer.exe
  7. then find the icon with: Three little squares inside [Example]
  8. a big square then press OK.
  9. Finally, drag-n-drop the new shortcut into your taskbar. Whenever you want to use it, just click the icon!
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Video of Flip3D"]
How to Create Flip3D Taskbar Icon
As before, I will get a better video once YouTube is up.... Honestly, I fail at Camtasia. xD
[/FIELDSET]
[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="eXo.Gear"]
Tweaking Programs
Tweak7 Utilities by TweakWin7
[fieldset="Quick Info"]
Direct Download Link: Here
Price of Program: $19.95
Days of Trial: 30 days[/FIELDSET]
[FIELDSET="What do they have to offer?"]Well, there are just a couple main things they are focused on. They have multiple selections for performance tuning guides, or how to fine tune your security. Yea, all those are great and all, but the main focus is on a utility called "Tweak7 Utilities"[/FIELDSET][FIELDSET="What does it have to offer?"]Well, instead of just showing you in text and pictures, I decided to start making a video of it. Why is that? Well, there are really to many features in the program that it would be better for you to just see.
[/FIELDSET]
[FIELDSET="eXo.Gear's Tweak7 Video"]
Video of me opening and exploring Tweak7
(Better video will be uploaded when YouTube is working again)
[/FIELDSET]
[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET=eXo.Gear]
Updates
11/10/09
  • Created this thread
  • Added: "How to Install and Enable DreamScene"
  • Created and uploaded screenshots for "How to Install and Enable DreamScene" under the Tweaking Guide section
  • Finished the section for "Tweak7" under the Tweaking Programs category.
  • Uploaded a video for "Tweak7"
  • Started and finished the guide AND video for "How to Create Flip3D Toolbar Icon" under the Tweaking Guide section
[/FIELDSET]

TeamOverload

Thought you were leaving MfM?

On topic: I'll be checking out this guide once it develops more for sure though.

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
On Topic: Okay then... How does it look so far?... =/

Off Topic: I was going to. But, I'm not going to get into detail of the problem since this is the internet and it deals with personal life... People have always told me when you are going through rough times, always do something that makes you happy and keep your mind off things... Mine happens to be forums, technology... So, I decided that I am really going to need it more... Long story short... I am about to lose someone who is like my 2nd father to me... My real father passed away 6 months ago....

ALSO!: Is it okay if I look at other guides posted on here, and with your permission, pick and choose some to include them in the guide, all credits still to you, of course.

TeamOverload

Fair enough, sorry to hear about your personal problems though. Trust me I know what that's like.
And it's looking good so far. Obviously just a layout and stuff so far, but it's shaping up to be a nice guide.

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
Thank you. I am hoping that this is going to be a good guide... I know my past couple of ones... Yea... We know the story.

Staff Members, is there a way I can get 5 more blank posts after my first one?

EvilSeph

Administrator
Thanks for another guide. I've created 5 placeholders after your first as requested.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thank you. =]. I am in the process of making a video for the Tweak7 Program.

I haven't used Tweak 7 since Windows 7 seems to run awesome for me but if it's anything like TweakXP or TweakVI then should be awesome. Looking forward to it.

explosions

eldiablov

Contributor
I like that you're writing a guide but your colour scheme is pretty horrible.

Anyway, +rep. Thanks for the effort.

madsoul

Trying to find some good themes for windowblinds that work with Windows 7. I would sooo love to use a GAIA theme but none have worked so far.. :( Do anyone know any good themes or some other theme program that works better with Windows 7?

LocutusEstBorg

Just found a cool way to password protect applications. Install Windows XP Mode and don't save credentials. Every time you start an application in Windows XP Mode it asks for the password of the XPMUser.

Finally a way to password protect my pr0n browser.

Protip: Put shortcuts to applications in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu to make them show up in the Windows 7 start menu under Windows Virtual PC. When you run them like that they launch directly on the Windows 7 desktop.