• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Tragic characters

SihayatheFremen

The other night I was playing Persona 4 Arena and when I played Labrys' story I ended up in tears (I'm a sap, I cry at the drop of a hat). I found the things she had gone through absolutely heartbreaking. It got me thinking about characters in games that really hit me in the feels.

Aside from Labrys I'd have to say Thane from Mass Effect. Not just because of his illness or being estranged from his son but his memory. I would think that being able to recall every single moment of your life with perfect clarity would be such a curse. Sure you can remember the good things but also every wrong word, every slight, every single painful moment of your entire life is right there, every moment. It would be a horrible weight to be under.

So, what characters have really stood out to you with sad, tragic stories?

chunji

@SihayatheFremen I feel that, Labrys's story made me weep. I wasn't expecting to cry at all and instead I cried like a baby.

Akihiko from Persona 3, especially when you throw in the route with the female main character from Persona 3 Portable. His story was tragic enough without throwing in how the game ended that way... losing everyone he loves and then having it happen again. Honestly it hurts just to think about.

Kind of embarrassed to say this, but Ryouta and Nageki from Hatoful Boyfriend. When I started that game I thought it would be stupid and silly and I ended up crying. A lot. That whole game hurt me but those two characters hurt me the most.

SihayatheFremen

@SihayatheFremen I feel that, Labrys's story made me weep. I wasn't expecting to cry at all and instead I cried like a baby.

Akihiko from Persona 3, especially when you throw in the route with the female main character from Persona 3 Portable. His story was tragic enough without throwing in how the game ended that way... losing everyone he loves and then having it happen again. Honestly it hurts just to think about.

Kind of embarrassed to say this, but Ryouta and Nageki from Hatoful Boyfriend. When I started that game I thought it would be stupid and silly and I ended up crying. A lot. That whole game hurt me but those two characters hurt me the most.
Don't feel silly, I thought hatoful boyfriend was fantastic. BBL was soooo dark and tragic.

SihayatheFremen

I'm so glad you agree. BBL hurt. So bad. So good but so sad.
When the game was put on steam I was mildly interested in it, mostly out of curiousity. A friend bought it for me laughing the entire time about "that pigeon dating game you want so bad"
Now months later I finished it and gifted her a copy. Bugged her every day to play it and she finally did and today she says to me "you know, this game is really good. I didn't think I'd like it but, its really hooked me"

I love converting people to the "weird" side of gaming as she calls it :p

chunji

When the game was put on steam I was mildly interested in it, mostly out of curiousity. A friend bought it for me laughing the entire time about "that pigeon dating game you want so bad"
Now months later I finished it and gifted her a copy. Bugged her every day to play it and she finally did and today she says to me "you know, this game is really good. I didn't think I'd like it but, its really hooked me"

I love converting people to the "weird" side of gaming as she calls it :p

I had a friend gift it to me as well, she had totally completed it and just laughed as she knew what i was getting into but i didn't.
I try to get some of my other friends into games like that, but all I'm told is that I somehow "find the weirdest games" lmao.

SihayatheFremen

I had a friend gift it to me as well, she had totally completed it and just laughed as she knew what i was getting into but i didn't.
I try to get some of my other friends into games like that, but all I'm told is that I somehow "find the weirdest games" lmao.
I get told that ALL the time. My friends are always like "nope, never heard of that. is that one of your weird games?"
I just tell them that they don't know what they are missing. There are tons of smaller, niche games that are fantastic but most people don't give them a second glance because they aren't Triple A twitch shooters.
Glad to meet another person that likes the "weird games"

BrakoV25

*Tries to qoute Mrs Shiyathenenenenayouraguies first post but can't find the bloody quote button*

We soft of do have the power to remember everything. I think its more the other power that we use to try and forget every stupid thing we do.

Many times I'll be walking down the road and cringing. And not just because I forgot to wear clothes again, but because a memory of me being a complete tit-head causes sudden embarrassment, causing me to cover my face and nudey junk.

But as for game characters... I dunno. Because most games are marketed to a mass audience, they usually have to have a happy ending or make sure complete justice is served,. Agent 47 from the Hitman series is poor soul I'd say. Creating life so that it can end others is pretty shiity. And not to mention he's had to be bald his entire life. I started losing hair at 32 and was devastated. I can only imagine how tragic it must be for Agent 47. Least he never went through the Hipster haircut phase though :p

SihayatheFremen

But as for game characters... I dunno. Because most games are marketed to a mass audience, they usually have to have a happy ending or make sure complete justice is served,. Agent 47 from the Hitman series is poor soul I'd say. Creating life so that it can end others is pretty shiity. And not to mention he's had to be bald his entire life. I started losing hair at 32 and was devastated. I can only imagine how tragic it must be for Agent 47. Least he never went through the Hipster haircut phase though :p

First, there's nothing wrong with marketing to a "mass audience"
Second just because a game might be accessible to many people does not mean that the story and characters can't be well developed and have impact.
Not every game has a happy ending either.

Kordesh

Seems to be a love or hate game, but Lost Odyssey was more or less a complete cast of tragic characters. The whole game was more or less a march through the painful memories of "heroes" that didn't want to be, and the hardships endured by people who were forced to live long enough to see everything they had get taken from them again, and again, and again. It's been a long time since I've played it, but it's definitely one that stuck with me.

SihayatheFremen

Seems to be a love or hate game, but Lost Odyssey was more or less a complete cast of tragic characters. The whole game was more or less a march through the painful memories of "heroes" that didn't want to be, and the hardships endured by people who were forced to live long enough to see everything they had get taken from them again, and again, and again. It's been a long time since I've played it, but it's definitely one that stuck with me.

Man, that game made me bawl. Should have come packaged with Zoloft.

Kordesh

Man, that game made me bawl. Should have come packaged with Zoloft.
The writer for it at the time had mentioned plans to make a game called "Cry-On" that was effectively meant to just jab people right in the feels the whole way through. Had it not been documented as a completely separate title actually under development later on, I would have sworn it was Lost Odyssey...

J

JurrJurr_Downy

Definitly Mass Effect 3. Throughout all three games 1,2 and 3 the gameplay was not really my style, kind of repetative and boring in my oppinion, but the characters were just so well done and you really bonded with them, especially with your LI. I never quite realized how much those characters had actually grown uon me until the very end. Even Miranda, whom i never really liked and found outright annoying most of the time, made me feel kind of sad when i didn't manage to warn her from the assassin.
But when i had to leave Kaiden behind in one of the final scenes, because of his wounds and then realized Shepard was not going to return to him either way i just compleatly teared up. I almost had a mental breakdown when Kaiden put up Shepards name on the board, because i truly felt like Kaiden deserved a life with Shepard and not to be heartbroken. Atleast in my ending there was a two-second-sequence at the end, showing Shepard drawing in a short breath in between the ruins, but i still wasn't satisfied so i downlaoded a good ending mod in which Shepard lives and hugs Kaiden in the end. God damn, that game made me bawl more than my real life tragedies.

SihayatheFremen

I would have let both kaiden and ashley die if i could have in me1. Both were wastes of space.
And i thought the gameplay and story in the me series were excellent.

J

JurrJurr_Downy

whether you like the gameplay or not is compleatly up to you, but its nevertheless one of the best games ive played :D
i really loved kaiden but ashley was a pain in the butt