• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

"Ubuntu doesn't qualify as Linux"

Serideth

Right this is a quote I have seen knocking around these forums but never challenged due to not wanting to veer offtopic.

I disagree with this but I'm sure people who state this have a reason, so go on, please explain to simple folk like myself (who have used a number of distros) and cannot understand how it isn't Linix.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I hate Ubuntu because of the methods it uses. It is a linux distro, yes, but it's a horrible one IMO. You cannot compile and install anything without making your system VERY screwy(in my experience). Intrepid was an improvement, but everything until then was just a downhill thing. You also would have a TIME compiling your own kernel(Which is advisable providing you have the knowledge how to, as it allows you to have a kernel based on YOUR hardware, not the hp touchscreen everyones talking about, while you have a little amd computer.) I compiled my own(Naturally using fedora's config as a base) and my computer's performance skyrocketed.

Nonetheless, it is indeed a distro, just a garbage(IMO) one.

Also they abuse sudo, lol. You don't need to be using sudo before everything, just use su and su -c when needed, it's more convenient in my opinion.

Seth

MD Party Room
Yes Ubuntu is a full Linux OS,it untiles the same things as any other distro. Uses the same kernel,the same software,the same desktop environment,the same terminal near the same as every other distro out there. It can compile code just fine,it can use network tools just as well as Novell,it just as secure as any other linux os.Ubuntu is getting a few things right that previous distros didn't. Some of it is marketing, some of it is technical.

I started using linux with ubuntu, now I use gentoo,openSUSE,PCLinuxOS,Debian, Fedora and tons of others.In fact it be hard for me to stay with one distro for a month you can just ask HDD,phil,Mike and tons of others.I might have gone threw more than 50 distro. Gentoo is awesome, GREAT performance, etc... but sometimes.. its nice when things just work. I suffer a few issues with gentoo and others, like finding it impossible to set up my surround sound which will work out ofthe box with ubuntu. For laptop support I find it hard to beat ubuntu,most dont have the out of the box hardware working like ubuntu.

It like training wheels for people who want to use a new os,does everything you need it to do,sure it not cutting like others but still is up to date with everything others do.The ubuntu team and users have done more to push linux then any other distro I can think of. Ubuntu is a great linux os, just cus some leets feel it to nub freadly doesnt mean it sucks. Hell the guy who makes linux kernel Linus Torvalds loves ubuntu

"Ease of use isn't just for newcomers. Nobody would question Linus Torvalds' expertise when it comes to Linux or his technical skills yet he stresses ease of installation and ease of keeping a distro up to date. In that context his preference for Fedora and Ubuntu over what he calls "overly technical" distributions makes a lot of sense. While he only names Debian I think we can safely assume that Gentoo and Slackware would fit into this category."

Linus Torvalds on Linux Distributions - O'Reilly News

soha

i disown ubuntu because its too popular, i wanna fell 1337. you know what? i disown linux now! to many people use it! i mean how can i flaunt my e-peen when im not the only person who uses linux?!? screw that! i would use bsd but there seems to be alot of people starting to use that as well. PLAN9 HERE I COME!!!!

Seth

MD Party Room
I say if your the true full foss kinda of guy you use gNewSense.Is the above post a unfunny joke of some kind?

soha

I say if your the true full foss kinda of guy you use gNewSense.Is the above post a unfunny joke of some kind?
I'm living up to the typical linux stereotype (see other thread). I consider ubuntu to be linux because it is.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Yes Ubuntu is a full Linux OS,it untiles the same things as any other distro. Uses the same kernel,the same software,the same desktop environment,the same terminal near the same as every other distro out there. It can compile code just fine,it can use network tools just as well as Novell,it just as secure as any other linux os.Ubuntu is getting a few things right that previous distros didn't. Some of it is marketing, some of it is technical.

I started using linux with ubuntu, now I use gentoo,openSUSE,PCLinuxOS,Debian, Fedora and tons of others.In fact it be hard for me to stay with one distro for a month you can just ask HDD,phil,Mike and tons of others.I might have gone threw more than 50 distro. Gentoo is awesome, GREAT performance, etc... but sometimes.. its nice when things just work. I suffer a few issues with gentoo and others, like finding it impossible to set up my surround sound which will work out ofthe box with ubuntu. For laptop support I find it hard to beat ubuntu,most dont have the out of the box hardware working like ubuntu.

It like training wheels for people who want to use a new os,does everything you need it to do,sure it not cutting like others but still is up to date with everything others do.The ubuntu team and users have done more to push linux then any other distro I can think of. Ubuntu is a great linux os, just cus some leets feel it to nub freadly doesnt mean it sucks. Hell the guy who makes linux kernel Linus Torvalds loves ubuntu

"Ease of use isn't just for newcomers. Nobody would question Linus Torvalds' expertise when it comes to Linux or his technical skills yet he stresses ease of installation and ease of keeping a distro up to date. In that context his preference for Fedora and Ubuntu over what he calls "overly technical" distributions makes a lot of sense. While he only names Debian I think we can safely assume that Gentoo and Slackware would fit into this category."

Linus Torvalds on Linux Distributions - O'Reilly News
No, it does not use the same kernel, it uses it's own kernel that was configured and compiled by the package maintainers. It's usually it's own custom kernel different from the other distros.

soha

No, it does not use the same kernel, it uses it's own kernel that was configured and compiled by the package maintainers. It's usually it's own custom kernel different from the other distros.
I use a custom kernel for my arch installation, does that mean its no longer linux?

As if it's not a Linux distro. It uses a Linux kernel (even if it's specially configured) therefore it is a Linux distribution. Ubuntu was designed to provide a simplified experience to Linux newcomers, if that's not what you want there are plenty of other Linux distros around. Ubuntu's popularity is a testament to how well it achieves it's purpose, take for example Wubi, which made Linux dual-booting easy for windows users.

Slasher

Suck It
I don't know shit all about Linux, but I know that Ubuntu is a distro of Linux whether the elitists like it or not.

twelve

I'm not dead
I prefer to use Unix without a GUI (such as AIX or Solaris) but yes without a doubt Ubuntu is a Linux distro. It happens to be a particularly user friendly distro, which is why elitist don't consider it one.

eldiablov

Contributor
I consider it a linux distro. The reason I began to hate it was because previous window users would install ubuntu and use it as an excuse to become 1337.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I use a custom kernel for my arch installation, does that mean its no longer linux?

No, I was referring to his "Uses the same kernel as all the others" comment, as all the distributions kernels are different.

I use a custom kernel as well.

Hardrive

Contributor
Yes, Ubuntu is a Linux distro. And it is good for many things. I can throw it on my friends' computers, install the correct drivers, and walk away knowing that they can handle the rest. However, some things are just unnecessarily hard. Somebody earlier mention compiling a custom kernel. I haven't tried that, but I know it's ridiculously hard in Fedora as well. Another pain is installing Code::Blocks. It and its dependencies are not in the main repo, you have to add a custom repo. That's too much work for me :)

Also they abuse sudo, lol. You don't need to be using sudo before everything, just use su and su -c when needed, it's more convenient in my opinion.

There's a lot of irony there. On a stock Ubuntu installation, the root password is randomly set. To be able to su -c or su, you need to do "sudo passwd" to set the root password so you can login. You have to run sudo at least once on an Ubuntu box! I just think that's funny.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Yes, Ubuntu is a Linux distro. And it is good for many things. I can throw it on my friends' computers, install the correct drivers, and walk away knowing that they can handle the rest. However, some things are just unnecessarily hard. Somebody earlier mention compiling a custom kernel. I haven't tried that, but I know it's ridiculously hard in Fedora as well. Another pain is installing Code::Blocks. It and its dependencies are not in the main repo, you have to add a custom repo. That's too much work for me :)

There's a lot of irony there. On a stock Ubuntu installation, the root password is randomly set. To be able to su -c or su, you need to do "sudo passwd" to set the root password so you can login. You have to run sudo at least once on an Ubuntu box! I just think that's funny.

You dont "have" to do it. You do however if you want to edit system files. if you try to edit anything without logging in (root) you get the error
Code:
cannot open file for writing

I like xubuntu but i much prefer slax unfortunately you cant install it only run it off a cd or flash drive.

Seth

MD Party Room
You dont "have" to do it. You do however if you want to edit system files. if you try to edit anything without logging in (root) you get the error
Code:
cannot open file for writing

[HIGHLIGHT]I like xubuntu but i much prefer slax unfortunately you cant install it only run it off a cd or flash drive[/HIGHLIGHT].

You can but you need to do threw a shell and it not that easy.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
On the standard linux installation it's the opposite. You choose the root password then you have to go in and configure sudo. I haven't used ubuntu in a while so I forget these things :).

Shells are fun - gives you a challenge.

WillyVWade

If I remember correctly, the Ubuntu slogan used to be "Linux for everyone" not "Linux for 1337 haxxors". My Mum and Sister don't want to compile programs from the source code, They want to go on Facebook. I'm sure there's an other distro more suitable for coders or heavy users' needs. If Ubuntu introduces people to open source software, Then I'm all for it.