• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

"Ubuntu doesn't qualify as Linux"

Seth

MD Party Room
If I remember correctly, the Ubuntu slogan used to be "Linux for everyone" not "Linux for 1337 haxxors". My Mum and Sister don't want to compile programs from the source code, They want to go on Facebook. I'm sure there's an other distro more suitable for coders or heavy users' needs. If Ubuntu introduces people to open source software, Then I'm all for it.

Linux for Human Beings! is ubuntu slogan but w/e... Yes Linux for people with mom and dads who cant seem to stay away from virus but still wanna use facebook.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Ubuntu itself is not linux. period. Linux is a kernel, what controls memory and file access. Ubuntu is the operating system, linux is the kernel.Thats why its called Ubuntu linux. Ubuntu itself is not "linux"

By linux they meant a valid distribution of linux.

If you want ease of installation that anyone can do, check out Sabayon, that thing has drivers for EVERYTHING.

But for newbies(I mean it as it's meant to be meant, new) Ubuntu is right there to hold your hand until you get the hang of it, then you generally go into something that's more advanced per se, but has more freedoms and stability when it comes to basic things like compiling.

xqtftqx

By linux they meant a valid distribution of linux.

If you want ease of installation that anyone can do, check out Sabayon, that thing has drivers for EVERYTHING.

But for newbies(I mean it as it's meant to be meant, new) Ubuntu is right there to hold your hand until you get the hang of it, then you generally go into something that's more advanced per se, but has more freedoms and stability when it comes to basic things like compiling.

I wouldnt recommend ubuntu for anyone with wireless cards. If they dont have the drivers they're a bitch to install

Hardrive

Contributor
I've noticed that doing anything on Ubuntu that is not in one of the official repos can be a pain. However, it's doable, you just need to know what you're doing.

Ubuntu is a good beginner distro, but other distros are better for intermediate users.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I wouldnt recommend ubuntu for anyone with wireless cards. If they dont have the drivers they're a bitch to install

Once you get the hang of it w/ your wireless chipset, it's easy.

For example, I use broadcom b43 drivers, and whenever I install a new distro, I just cd to my storage partition and copy them right over.

spamsnake

I used Ubuntu for a while, but I didn't like it that much. I still regard it as a Linux distro however, just the same as I regard any others.

One other thing that I don't quite understand is that when people are starting to use Linux, most people immediately say "Ubuntu is the distro for you", I believe that most distros are quite user friendly these days. But perhaps I no longer see with the eyes of a newbie user, so I may be wrong.

Seth

MD Party Room
I used Ubuntu for a while, but I didn't like it that much. I still regard it as a Linux distro however, just the same as I regard any others.

One other thing that I don't quite understand is that when people are starting to use Linux, most people immediately say "Ubuntu is the distro for you", I believe that most distros are quite user friendly these days. But perhaps I no longer see with the eyes of a newbie user, so I may be wrong.

They say go for ubuntu for out of the box hardware support and for the community support. No distro has as much support for helpings noobs than ubuntu.

dubmonkey

of course ubuntu counts as a distro... even with its quick and easy out-of-the-box "for the people, by the people" mentality. to the intermediate and advanced users it may seem like play-doh instead of sculpting clay, but the basics are there. and to the 1337 snobs... people are people too, hard as that is to compute! gotta let em start somewhere! O(^_^)O

Crank

Crank it up!
Ubuntu has a Linux kernel, therefore it is a Linux distro. Whatever the elitists think.

Also they abuse sudo, lol. You don't need to be using sudo before everything, just use su and su -c when needed, it's more convenient in my opinion.

su is indeed more convenient when you need to do lots of stuff as root, but I prefer using sudo over su -c, simply because it's less writing and messing with quotes.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Ubuntu has a Linux kernel, therefore it is a Linux distro. Whatever the elitists think.

su is indeed more convenient when you need to do lots of stuff as root, but I prefer using sudo over su -c, simply because it's less writing and messing with quotes.

This is true, however the kernel it uses is configured using option I don't like(ie, all of them at once. Makes it a bit bloated), and it configures it's libc stuff in a way that tends to break in every last computer that I've ever used ubuntu on.

Debian, however, seems to work like a champ.