• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

UK riots

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
One of my friends is now facing a jail sentence after his mum handed him in the police from seeing a picture of him on facebook. His house got raided and now is facing prison for theft, possession of controlled substances amongst other things, even though I know 100% that he didn't go inside a single shop. Pretty shitty. I got a new TV and Vans hoody though so it's cool.

But seriously. I went to the riots on the first night to watch what was happening. The police had the situation in control until about 1 o clock, I watched a Jewelers and the B&O shop cleared out in front of me. As much as I should have feared for my safety there were a LOT of people like me who were there just to watch what was happening. There were no incidents between each other or with the bistanders and after stepping out of the way of some looters running past me they still managed to say thank you. Which is more than the police said to me, after walking towards a blockade to ask for directions OUT of the closed city center i was yelled at to get back before the entire line of police charged down the street at me and about 100 other innocent people. Cool.

4t1oxv.jpg

jas0nuk

Anyone who advocates using live ammunition is an idiot. The Sun? ah.
The Sun only paid for the poll, it was run by the polling company YouGov. They're a member of the British Polling Council along with all the other reputable pollsters like ICM, ComRes etc.

Sir_Axxewraith: If he didn't go into any shops why is he facing prison for theft? Of what? The police don't fit people up with evidence. This isn't Life on Mars.

Moose

Meta Moose
The Sun only paid for the poll, it was run by the polling company YouGov. They're a member of the British Polling Council along with all the other reputable pollsters like ICM, ComRes etc.

Sir_Axxewraith: If he didn't go into any shops why is he facing prison for theft? Of what? The police don't fit people up with evidence. This isn't Life on Mars.

The police don't make mistakes? That's new to me, because as far as I know they are human just like you and me (although, that may be for discussion).

Adiuvo

The police don't make mistakes? That's new to me, because as far as I know they are human just like you and me (although, that may be for discussion).

To the point of holding people without evidence, not often. Assuming that would happen with every controversial thing is wishful thinking at best.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
there's a video of him stood with the crowd of people that first kicked through foot asylum, but he doesn't enter. He hasn't been sentenced yet he's been held for questioning but he's been told what he could be charged with.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

MenaceInc

Staff Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/16/facebook-riot-calls-men-jailed

What are people's thoughts on this?

4 years is fucking ridiculous for this type of thing, I could have easily seen anyone creating a facebook group like that.

4 years for the guy who setup an event (Blackshaw) to start a riot, fair.
4 years to the guy who setup a page (Sutcliffe), not fair.

Blackshaw setup an event with the intention of serious damage to the local community. He didn't delete the event immediately.
Sutcliffe however immediately deleted his Warrington Riots page when he got up in the morning and apologised to facebook contacts.

To me, it shows a clear distinction in motive and that Sutcliffe showed actual remorse for his actions. Blackshaw showed no such feelings.

Also, in looking for alternative sources for the news other than the Guardian, it seems that the maximum sentence they could have gotten was 10 years. A quote from the same article as well.

During the sentencing, Recorder of Chester Judge Elgin Edwards, QC, said he hoped the sentences would act as a deterrent to others.

Blackshaw, fair. Sutcliffe, not fair. In my opinion.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
4 years for the guy who setup an event (Blackshaw) to start a riot, fair.
4 years to the guy who setup a page (Sutcliffe), not fair.

Blackshaw setup an event with the intention of serious damage to the local community. He didn't delete the event immediately.
Sutcliffe however immediately deleted his Warrington Riots page when he got up in the morning and apologised to facebook contacts.

To me, it shows a clear distinction in motive and that Sutcliffe showed actual remorse for his actions. Blackshaw showed no such feelings.

Also, in looking for alternative sources for the news other than the Guardian, it seems that the maximum sentence they could have gotten was 10 years. A quote from the same article as well.

Blackshaw, fair. Sutcliffe, not fair. In my opinion.

I agree mostly with what you've said, but even so 4 years is way too harsh for this. It must be a scare tactic giving him a sentence that long.