• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSV Uncharted Vita Close To 4GB In Size, Yoshida Weighs In On Importance of Physical Media

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
162-uncharted-golden-abyss-ed.jpg

If there's anything the PSPgo taught Sony, it's that shipping games on physical media is crucial. While there's a growing subset of customers embracing digital, the bulk of sales on console and portable platforms still happen at retail. Sony WWS boss Shuhei Yoshida tells Edge that he believes the time is still not right for a download-only platform, pointing to the large size of Vita titles, some of which weigh in close to 4GB -- in the case of Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

"So we believe the time is still not right to go download-only as a platform[...]

Continue reading: Uncharted Vita Close To 4GB In Size, Yoshida Weighs In On Importance of Physical Media...

hush404

I'm glad we've got physical media... as I would fill up w/e card I had in my system in no time if games were 4gb each.

Adiuvo

It's odd how the PC market is the opposite. Digital sales, even without discounts, definitely seem to eclipse retail figures.

Ecko

1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
Of course "Digital only" is not the way to go. Why would you purposely limit your options like that? Why not offer both? Or a mix of physical/download only titles? Either way, Sony and the developers will get paid no matter what format the consumer happens to prefer. There are more important things to worry about.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Of course "Digital only" is not the way to go. Why would you purposely limit your options like that? Why not offer both? Or a mix of physical/download only titles? Either way, Sony and the developers will get paid no matter what format the consumer happens to prefer. There are more important things to worry about.
Digital Sales cut a huge loss of profit from dev's/publishers in the labor/materials involved with making and shipping such huge sums of physical media, as well, retail offering's means that developers have to wait until the game is actually brought, while investing in more copies that might never get sold.

Robby

Los Doyers!
If memory wasn't such an issue, I would have no problem with a digital only platform. If the vita had 80gb of built in memory, then physical media wouldn't be such an issue. But that would probably raise the cost of the device.

eldiablov

Contributor
Even a measly 1GB of onboard storage specifically for saves would have been nice :/

Actually, if you can get PSN plus on this thing, which I assume you can. It would be a great incentive to buy it for their cloud based save system.