• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Uninstalling ubuntu in dual boot.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I want to uninstall ubuntu on my laptop(running alongside vista)and do some repartitioning in preparation for getting windows 7. The thing is, uninstalling ubuntu will remove grub. how do I remove ubuntu either without removing grub, or with restoring the windows bootloader?

ChurchedAtheist

1. IS there an uninstall button on ubuntu?
2. wont that remove grub?

spitfireuk

FRAGSTATIC!!
click the uninstall button?

there isn't one and have even got the slightest idea on how linux is installed on dual boot?

I want to uninstall ubuntu on my laptop(running alongside vista)and do some repartitioning in preparation for getting windows 7. The thing is, uninstalling ubuntu will remove grub. how do I remove ubuntu either without removing grub, or with restoring the windows bootloader?

so want to remove ubuntu completely? my guess is just to format the ubuntu hard drive when installing win 7. thats the only way i think

RoBz

sucker
You're right, it will delete GRUB, so use the windows install cd to get back to Windows and then download a thing called EasyBCD, it's very good for keeping your bootloader under control.

ChurchedAtheist

so will I just be able to install win 7 onto the ubuntu space?(the installer will see it even though vista wont let me deal with it right) and the 7 install will add the win bootloader right?

Seth

MD Party Room
Yep if you install windows 7 on top of your ubuntu partition it will remove ubuntu and grub and replace it with the windows 7 bootloader. However why are you installing the rc this late?

ChurchedAtheist

im not. I'm gonna install the final the day it comes out(10/22)

how would I uninstall vista?

Seth

MD Party Room
If your still planing on installing Windows 7 then just format your whole drive and any Os on there will be uninstalled and be replaced by windows 7.

ChurchedAtheist

I want to keep vista for the time, just to make sure everything is working properly in 7 before I get rid of vista. also, I have all my data on a separate partition, so wiping the whole drive would fuck me over.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well then just format the 2 partitions with the os on them... Also Windows 7 uses Vista drivers so everything will work great on Windows 7.

RoBz

sucker
So you don't want to install Win 7 yet? Well then I'd suggest removing Ubuntu and then just use a Windows install CD to repair the bootloader so you can access Vista, then once you want to install Win 7, install it where Ubuntu was. I'm not sure what the Win 7 bootloader is like, you might be fine just like that, if not you'll need EasyBCD.

ChurchedAtheist

think I'll wait until I install 7. makes it a 1 step action. any downside to that?

ChurchedAtheist

ok. cool. should I easily be able to slide partitions(remove vista, and put some of that 50gb on 7, and some on my data partition?)

I on windows 7 RC and everything works fine to me

XP mode is a big plus!

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I'm using Windows 7 I think the release edition or what have you, I'm not sure, but it's not branded so I don't know.

Regardless, it works and acts the exact same way as Vista on my computer in terms of what runs on it and such, only major difference that's visual is the theme(Which actually I don't like, but I'll find a way to theme it, somehow, some day).

You can always use a little mini-partition(~20mb) in like /dev/sda1(Whatever windows turns that into) that's like ext3 for grub, but that's inconvenient..

If you can resize the partition, I'd delete the ubuntu partition(s), then resize the Windows partition to fit the whole space, then just upgrade to windows 7, that way you keep your files yet get the 7.

However, I'm sure it's harder than I said it.